PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Posts

el minster
2020-05-19, 12:13 AM
Is it ok to write "God" and not "god" or is it talking about religion ?
thank for moving it whoever did that.

DeTess
2020-05-19, 05:29 AM
Depends on the context. If you use capital 'G' God to refer to the god of a real religion then yes, it is forbidden. If you use it to refer to the god of a fictional religion then it is fine.

Grey_Wolf_c
2020-05-19, 07:25 AM
Is it ok to write "God" and not "god" or is it talking about religion ?
thank for moving it whoever did that.

The line is between fiction and real life. Durkon worships a god, Thor. You can write about that god as much as you want. But you cannot discuss anything about the gods worshiped (now, or at any time in the past) in reality.

Grey Wolf

el minster
2020-05-19, 10:24 AM
The line is between fiction and real life. Durkon worships a god, Thor. You can write about that god as much as you want. But you cannot discuss anything about the gods worshiped (now, or at any time in the past) in reality.

Grey Wolf

I'm not talking about real and fake religions. I'm talking about the difference between "oh my god" and talking about real religions.

Grey_Wolf_c
2020-05-19, 10:28 AM
I'm not talking about real and fake religions. I'm talking about the difference between "oh my god" and talking about real religions.

I'd say that falls under the "When it doubt, don't" rule of thumb. I like to use "By Thor's sake" myself in similar circumstances.

Grey Wolf

Roland St. Jude
2020-05-19, 10:35 AM
I'm not talking about real and fake religions. I'm talking about the difference between "oh my god" and talking about real religions.Sheriff: Don't so that. Unless you are very clearly talking about a fictional deity, just don't. It doesn't matter whether it's an exclamation, question, or declaration. It doesn't matter if it's pro-, con-, or indifferent. Just steer clear of real world religion references (of any era, area, or whatever).

I'd say that falls under the "When it doubt, don't" rule of thumb. I like to use "By Thor's sake" myself in similar circumstances.Sheriff: The first sentence is a good idea. The second...I wouldn't even do that unless it's somehow very clear you mean a certain fictional version of Thor. Norse gods were, and in some sense still are, figures worshipped in the real world.

LibraryOgre
2020-05-19, 04:09 PM
The Mod Ogre: While I can't speak for all the Mod Team, I personally have a Thor's Hammer tattoo'd on my body, and one of Odin's Ravens (the other is on hold until money magically appears). So, I tend to take a dim view of the "Old religions are exempt" point of view some folks like to trot out. Want to talk D&D Thor? Sure. OotS Thor? No problem. MCU Thor? Go right ahead. But if you start talking "What people actually believed" or "Well, in the REAL WORLD", you're gonna get a warning, at least.