PDA

View Full Version : Vista Tweaking Tips?

Muz
2007-10-26, 10:38 AM
Okay, so I just got a laptop, and it's got Vista Home Premium on it. I'm now in the process of searching the web for tips on how to tweak it so it runs efficiently and doesn't have things going on that I don't need. Anyone out there with tips?

(And I'm fairly computer literate, at the level of an experienced amateur, self-taught with most stuff. I've never used Vista before, however, so it's time for me to learn some more!) :smallsmile:

Crispy Dave
2007-10-26, 10:40 AM
heres an idea dont get vista with your new computer unless it had a video card dx 10 compadible and at least 2 gigs of ram

Muz
2007-10-26, 11:14 AM
Um, yeah, I'm unable to alter time, so that doesn't help me much since I already bought the thing. :smallwink:

(Though it does have both, at least.)

Skippy
2007-10-26, 11:21 AM
Uninstall Vista and install Linux.

You'll be doing yourself a favor.

I recommend Ubuntu 7.04, it's easy to use and not as resource-consumer as Vista. And it looks awesome, even more than Vista... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ)

Crispy Dave
2007-10-26, 11:23 AM
problem with linix is no games

Skippy
2007-10-26, 11:26 AM
problem with linix is no games

Not quite true. There are some Windows-emuling programs like Wine that enable you to run Windows applications in Linux.

Besides, have another look on what Linux can do, and Windows can't. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqduQfm09c)

Moriato
2007-10-26, 11:32 AM
Don't use the sidebar, it's a huge resource hog.

valadil
2007-10-26, 11:32 AM
Much as I love pimping linux (and I'd go with ubuntu 7.10 instead of 7.04), the topic is supposed to be about vista tweaking tips.

Here's a generic windows tip (which probably works in vista, but I can't verify that). To disable services from running at startup use msconfig. Hit start>run and type msconfig. The tab on the far right is a list of programs that run when you turn on the machine. If you aren't sure what something is you may want to leave it in place. Or you could hit ctrl-alt-del and kill the process with the same name and see if that crashes anything.

Skippy
2007-10-26, 11:34 AM
Much as I love pimping linux (and I'd go with ubuntu 7.10 instead of 7.04), the topic is supposed to be about vista tweaking tips.

Here's a generic windows tip (which probably works in vista, but I can't verify that). To disable services from running at startup use msconfig. Hit start>run and type msconfig. The tab on the far right is a list of programs that run when you turn on the machine. If you aren't sure what something is you may want to leave it in place. Or you could hit ctrl-alt-del and kill the process with the same name and see if that crashes anything.

Everything crashes. Always.

Jack Squat
2007-10-26, 11:42 AM

Well if you're going to be any computer-intensive stuff, I'll agree.

However, my laptop (Dell Insipron 6400, Vista Ultimate, 2 GB RAM) runs fine with it, mostly because I don't really do anything gaming related. I find the sidebar very handy, especially after you download some of the gadgets (I have a battery meter, digital clock, weatherbug, notepad, a calendar, and a countdown currently set for the new Indiana Jones release).

Only problem I've had is that WMP skips some when it's loading the next song. I fixed having to listen to this by switching to Winamp :smalltongue:

Muz
2007-10-26, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking the sidebar's going to be the first thing that gets the axe, unless I can find any particularly nifty and useful gadgets to stick there. So far it just seems like a pointless little gimmick. :smallsmile:

(And yes, please don't turn this into a "Vista sucks, get something else" thread. I may change the OS eventually, but for now I'm giving Vista a shot and want to learn about it.) :smallcool:

Don Julio Anejo
2007-10-26, 12:29 PM
Format your computer and install XP. You'll be much happier and most programs will actually run.

Ego Slayer
2007-10-26, 02:14 PM
Now there's something I didn't know how to do.
>_>
<_<
*starts disabling stuff*

CrazedGoblin
2007-10-26, 02:35 PM

just turned it off :smalltongue:

Stijl
2007-10-26, 04:17 PM
First off, for the love of all that is good and holy, turn User Account Control off. An immediate second, if you have multiple profiles on the machine, make sure they all have administrator level privileges. Risky, perhaps, but it will make your life much easier in the long run so long as you're a responsible computer user.*

Learn to make "Compatibility: Run as Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" second nature to you, going through this step will fix 90% of the compatibility issues you're likely to run into with Vista.

If performance is your goal, then kill the sidebar as mentioned previously. Second, if performance is REALLY your goal, kill the opacity on the appearance options (the Windows Aero default scheme). These are nifty, but can smack your performance around some.

Avast anti-virus plays very well with Vista if you don't have one of those set up yet (AVG comes in second here). Don't use anything from Symantec. Just don't.

The first time windows asks if you'd like to check for program (note, this is different from windows) updates, change the settings to only check once a month. Same with checking for solutions (to unexpected program terminations). These can be completely disabled if such is your wish of course.

Vista still has some speed bumps with it, but provided your machine can run it, it is at least as good as XP. I personally prefer it. There's still some tricking that needs to be done, and I'm curious to see how much of the trial and error of the past 8 months is addressed in the first service pack (probably another three months out).

I'll add more to this list if I think about it, or message me with a question. I'm a computer hobbyist, but I also set up 6 Vista machines and got them working with an existing network and exchange server and overzealous firewall.

*EDIT: To clarify, you can turn UAC back on AFTER you get the computer and programs set up if you really like. During set up, you'll butt heads with UAC every 15 minutes. Once it's up and running, you may see it only once or twice per day. It was a really good idea, but the implementation as currently executed is lacking.

Last_resort_33
2007-10-27, 02:54 AM
Start -> Control Panel -> Sound

Select your main playback device

Click Properties

Go to the enhancements tab

Click Disable all enhancements.

That stopped WMP skipping in Vista for me. If you really fancy doing what all those enhancements do, then there are a billion and one other packages that will do it for you better. Chances are if you are using a laptop, then you're not going to be able to tell the difference anyway (unless you're using a quite rockin' set of headphones).

Jimorian
2007-10-27, 03:20 AM
First thing I always do, any windows version: turn on being able to see all file extensions and hidden folders. Can't recall the specific steps on Vista atm, but I could check if you need info and haven't already done this.

And a big agreement on hunting through the startup list and disabling anything that the computer doesn't *need* to run or that you want to have running in the background. A whole lot of programs these days insert themselves into startup so that they can check immediately every bootup for new updates (I'm looking at you, RealPlayer and Quicktime), and I really really wish they would stop it. It's enough to check when I actually launch them, thankyewverymuch.

Overall, I'm liking Vista and have left most of it to be the Vista it wants to be. There's still enough compatibilty issues, however, where I bought a cheap new XP computer as backup, mostly for games (the Vista machine was an upgrade from Win98, so even a bare-bones XP machine was more than enough muscle for what I had).

Muz
2007-10-27, 01:24 PM
Thanks everyone!