PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Which one of the summon spirit spells(UA) is the best in your opinion and why?

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-05-19, 01:45 AM
Hello guys :)

We started to use those spells in our campaign (it makes our DM feel better when we have one summon instead of 8).

From my reading it looks like the shadow spirit(Despair) have the best CC(- 20ft movement aura) so I consider it the best.

I also give respect to the undead spirit(Putrid) save or poison aura but poison is problematic because all the resistance and immunities.

What do you think? Who is the best and why?

Our wizard player really like the elemental one and our warlock like the fiend one.

Deathtongue
2020-05-19, 07:44 AM
Hello guys :)

We started to use those spells in our campaign (it makes our DM feel better when we have one summon instead of 8).

From my reading it looks like the shadow spirit(Despair) have the best CC(- 20ft movement aura) so I consider it the best.

I also give respect to the undead spirit(Putrid) save or poison aura but poison is problematic because all the resistance and immunities.

What do you think? Who is the best and why?

Our wizard player really like the elemental one and our warlock like the fiend one.The summon spirit: skeletal is probably the best generic ones. It has a huge range and does a crapton of damage and it only gets better as the game goes on. There's reasons to use the other summons like the Despair SS and Putrid US (like you mentioned) and Slaadi AS (regeneration) and Defender CS (lots of temp hp) and Joyful FS (crowd control) -- but for the most part, the skeletal one is the best. Out of a level 4 spell slot cast by a level 7 caster, it can do 4d8+20 damage a round. That's bonkers. Out of a level 6 spell slot cast by a level 11 caster, it can do 6d8+33 damage a round (60 DPR). To put things in perspective, Disintegrate does 10d6+40 for (70 DPR) for a single shot of damage.

cZak
2020-05-19, 09:25 AM
I've been comparing the 3rd level options for my warlock whose primary function is control/debuff enemies

The hour duration is pretty generous
They all make for good damage soakers or impediments to enemies getting to allies

Fey:
Ecstatic step (charm) seems a fun social spell
Darkening step (Darkness) would be handy for control

Undead:
Seem good for control; the Deathly touch (Frightened; Wisdom) or Festering aura/Rotting claw (Poisoned/Paralyzed; Constitution) can be chosen based on enemies weakness

Shadow:
Not a lot of 'extra' here seems to me... The Dreadful scream is handy (Conquest Paladin :smalleek:)