PDA

View Full Version : overlord light novels

Traab
2020-05-19, 04:42 PM
Has anyone else been reading these? There are quite a few of them now, i think 12 or so. For those who are curious, it is basically a "trapped in a video game world" type story fairly popular in anime but it has a few twists. The main character is trapped as his character Momonga, a super powerful, super evil, elder lich who rules over The Tomb Of Nazarick, which is a MMO dungeon and his guild hall rolled into one. Basic gist of the start is, he is logged in on the last day of his game to be there when it shuts down. The moment passes, and suddenly the NPCs in the tomb are living beings who behave more or less as they were programmed to, and he is stuck in this undead beings body with all his skills stats and gear. The world outside has changed, its not the game world anymore, its another one entirely and he spends the first several books trying to figure out the threat level of this world and see if there might be any other players also stuck in it. He is also experimenting heavily with how things have changed because while his spells work, they sometimes have different effects than he expected. Keep in mind, the denizens of the tomb are almost all evil with a capitol E and momonga has to act that way as well as he is worried about them turning on him if he doesnt play out his role of being a supreme being who created them. So a lot of dark stuff happens, but there is also humor as well.

Ok, anyone else read these books? For reference im only getting started on book 5 currently. I will put it in spoilers just in case. I personally find ainz to be a reasonable character. I think he is acting a bit over cautious, but its also understandable why. This is his life in the balance so he wont get a second chance if he screws up, but so far aside from what happened to shaltear, everything he or his minions have faced has been laughably low level and weak. I suppose taking out the lizardman tribes counts as finally putting himself forward as he basically declared war on the entire species with full confidence he would obliterate them, but still, there is such a thing as being TOO hesitant. But again, I can understand being spooked by what happened to shaltear as if it could happen to one level 100, it could happen to him.

I also find it interesting that his biggest fear is the guardians turning on him and yet with cocyutus (I know I butchered that) and the other guardians he seems to be pushing him to growing, changing and even questioning him. They are all fairly obsessed with blindly obeying him, and it seems that convincing them to ask questions just makes it more likely they will figure out he isnt really an immortal lich king. Again, I get his reasoning for that, and he IS aware of the danger of this, but for a guy that is as cautious as he seems, he is taking quite the risk from his perspective. Im also worried about albedo, I swear she is just a few rejections away from going full yandere on ainz. Not sure if she will slaughter him or everything else in the tomb and the outside world, but its going to be messy. :smalltongue:

Rakaydos
2020-05-19, 06:18 PM
I watched the first two seasons of the anime, but I didnt read the light novels.

Traab
2020-05-19, 06:42 PM
I watched the first two seasons of the anime, but I didnt read the light novels.

From what I understand, the anime was fairly faithful but due to cramming in several books in each season a lot got left behind, especially the more in depth information and some stuff like character development for the guardians. Ive watched a lot of clips on youtube to be honest. Cant wait till I make it to some of those story sections so I can learn how it all went down and what happened next.