PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Phage and Stabilization

Nagog
2020-05-19, 07:32 PM
So, I'm considering throwing a Blue Slaad at my players, but I have a few questions regarding the Chaos Phage infection they're capable of inflicting.

The Chaos Phage states that if the daily 3d6 damage/HP reduction reduces them to 0 hp, they are immediately transformed into a Red or Green Slaad.
What happens if they're reduced to 0hp by something else?
It also states that while infected, they can't regain HP. In the situation of the above, would Spare the Dying still stabilize them?
Further, I assume this is an illness that can be cured with a Restoration, am I correct in assuming that?

I just want to prepare for each eventuality, just in case the dice decide to go hard on my players.

Galithar
2020-05-19, 08:51 PM
So, I'm considering throwing a Blue Slaad at my players, but I have a few questions regarding the Chaos Phage infection they're capable of inflicting.

The Chaos Phage states that if the daily 3d6 damage/HP reduction reduces them to 0 hp, they are immediately transformed into a Red or Green Slaad.
What happens if they're reduced to 0hp by something else?
It also states that while infected, they can't regain HP. In the situation of the above, would Spare the Dying still stabilize them?
Further, I assume this is an illness that can be cured with a Restoration, am I correct in assuming that?

I just want to prepare for each eventuality, just in case the dice decide to go hard on my players.

If their HP is reduced to 0 the Choas Phage doesn't do anything, it's if the hit point maximum is reduced to 0. So if a creature is at 0 HP, but maximum hit points isn't at 0 yet then they can be stabilized but at 0 hit points. This means they can be stabilized and alive, but can't regain conciousness so long as they can't regain hit points. Effectively a fantasy Coma while the Chaos Phage finishes it's job or is cured.

Anything that cures a disease would cure the Chaos Phage, I don't believe the restoration spells actually have that in their description but a Paladin definitely could cure it with Lay on Hands.