PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Screwdriver (artifact)

Alex12
2007-10-26, 11:55 AM
As anyone who's seen the TV show Doctor Who knows, the Sonic Screwdriver is an astonishingly useful device. After talking with a few of my fellow nerd friends, I decided to stat it. I may do other Doctor Who stuff, or general Sci-fi stuff later.
Sonic Screwdriver
Created by the entity known only as "The Doctor," the Sonic Screwdriver is a small device with a number of uses. It is extremely simple to operate, requiring only a DC 10 Use Magical Device or Use Psionic Device check to operate the first time, and no check after that or if the user has been instructed how to use it by someone who has used it. Nothing bad happens as a result of failing this check, and it may be reattempted the next round.
The Sonic Screwdriver grants a +10 circumstance bonus to any Open Lock or Disable Device check where the object being opened/disabled uses a mechanical trigger.
The Screwdriver also allows a user to lock a door that has a lock as a swift action.
Additionally, the Screwdriver may be used to deal 2d6 points of Sonic damage to any nonmagical object as if it were a melee weapon. This damage ignores an objects hardness.
The SS also allows the user to disable magical alarms, spells, and viewing devices. This requires making a ranged touch attack, and disables the target for 10d4 minutes.
The SS also grants +4 circumstance bonuses to Heal, UMD, and UPD checks.

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment of the Sonic Srewdriver's capabilities.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-26, 12:14 PM
That's about it! It's great. May all of Whovia smile upon you.

Alex12
2007-10-26, 12:22 PM
That's about it! It's great. May all of Whovia smile upon you.

*GLEE!*:smallbiggrin:
I might do the Tardis and/or the Doctor later. I'd say the Doctor has levels primarily in Rogue, and Time Lords have some very impressive racial abilities.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-26, 12:29 PM
Remember to include their fast healing, multiple hearts, resistance to most forms of poision and disease, regeneration (both DnD and Whovian kind), time slowing, power to interact with TARDISes, absorb and release space-time energy, manipulate cosmic energy and quantum lines. Oh, and the strange power to pull in the women/men he is interested in.

Ignore some of the dodgy episodes where he displayed super-powers please.

What about the laser screwdriver? And what is the SS's hardness and break DC?

Ta matey.

Alex12
2007-10-26, 02:50 PM
And what is the SS's hardness and break DC?
Artifact. They don't have those.:smallbiggrin:

Ellas Aramond
2007-10-26, 03:29 PM
If I knew you in real life, I would hug you. Thats how awesome this is.

bugsysservant
2007-10-26, 03:57 PM
A good start, but only +10? The sonic screw driver can pretty much open anything that isn't dead lock sealed. Not to mention its myriad of poorly documented abilities, like when he tries to create a resonance pattern in concrete, or something like that in "The Doctor Dances."

The Bushranger
2007-10-26, 04:06 PM
Remember to include their fast healing, multiple hearts, resistance to most forms of poision and disease, regeneration (both DnD and Whovian kind), time slowing, power to interact with TARDISes, absorb and release space-time energy, manipulate cosmic energy and quantum lines. Oh, and the strange power to pull in the women/men he is interested in.
Don't forget the Pockets of Holding! :smalltongue:

DanielLC
2007-10-26, 06:46 PM
You forgot a simple but rarely-used function. In a pinch, it can be used to drive screws.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-27, 05:00 AM
You forgot a simple but rarely-used function. In a pinch, it can be used to drive screws.

That's the joke! it can't...

Or can it...?

pondshadow
2007-10-27, 05:34 AM
What about deadlock seals?

Darke
2007-10-27, 07:10 AM

Or can it...?

It's true, in extreme circumstances, it can actually do what a screwdriver does...

Alex12, for suggesting this, you can have a cookie, a really really BIG cookie...

YuanTi
2007-10-27, 07:43 AM

Or can it...?

Yes it can, theres a Tom Baker Episode where he makes that joke.

Randel
2007-10-27, 01:06 PM
I know in a few episodes he was able to loosen bolts with it. He did things like remove the control panel from an automatic door so he could reach through and hit the controls on the other side. Or unbolt an item from the floor to move it around.

In another episode the forth doctor and his companions were on a ship where people were placed in android bodies to live forever. There were some giant eye-shaped robot security cameras that would track their movements. He was able to disrupt their levitation field and make them spin wildly in circles so that they couldn't track them.

I would say that it provides a +20 or so bonus to disable device checks (since disable device can basically be used to pick locks) though only on fine mechanical devices.

Though I think that the original sonic screwdriver was destroyed in one episode with the forth doctor. The new series has an upgraded one that has all sorts of computer systems in it. I would say the new one can cast 'knock', 'mending' (to cut and mend chains) and maybe 'dispel magic'.