PDA

View Full Version : What are the CR1-epic factions?

magicalmagicman
2020-05-20, 03:32 AM
Demons have manes all the way to demon princes.
Devils have Lemures all the way to Asmodeus.

What are some other factions that have 20+ monsters all from CR1-epic?

Eldan
2020-05-20, 03:48 AM
Interesting. Looking at the other seven exemplar races, most seem to have no CR 1 form. Coures, Lantern Archons and Mustevals are CR2, Mud Slaad are CR5, Mezzoloths are a whopping CR6.

Monodrones, however, are CR1/2 and Primus is well epic, so that should count.

MicHag
2020-05-20, 04:03 AM
You can find "fey" in all CR's.

From Grigs and Nixies (CR 1) in the SRD, up until Spirit of the Land (CR23, MM2).

I have a list if need be.

lolcat
2020-05-20, 07:22 AM

I'd love to see that list!

MicHag
2020-05-20, 07:26 AM
I'd love to see that list!

It's not my list, but it's here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?226612-3-5-The-Fey-Compendium).
And then the spoiler "creatures - official".

lolcat
2020-05-20, 07:30 AM
It's not my list, but it's here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?226612-3-5-The-Fey-Compendium).
And then the spoiler "creatures - official".

May Lathander reward your gracious deed ;)

Biggus
2020-05-20, 11:29 AM
You can find "fey" in all CR's.

From Grigs and Nixies (CR 1) in the SRD, up until Spirit of the Land (CR23, MM2).

If we're including creature types rather than actual factions per se, many have examples from CR1 to CR21+.

In core, here are the CR1 or lower creatures: http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20monsterfilter/

And here are the epic creatures: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicMonstersAndObstacles.htm

Constructs, Dragons, Elementals, Fey, Magical Beasts, Monstrous Humanoids, Outsiders, Plants, Undead and Vermin appear on both lists.

MicHag
2020-05-20, 11:51 AM
It all depends on what the OP wants with these lists. I just offered a possible solution.

Troacctid
2020-05-20, 12:38 PM
I feel like humans are an obvious example (along with other common humanoid races like elves).

In Eberron, most of the major villainous factions should qualify, including the Lords of Dust, the Dreaming Dark, the Daelkyr, and the Emerald Claw.

Biggus
2020-05-20, 01:46 PM
It all depends on what the OP wants with these lists. I just offered a possible solution.

I wasn't meaning to criticise you. My initial assumption as to what the OP meant by "factions" was similar to Eldan's, creatures which are all united by a common alignment or philosophy or something along those lines. Given the OP's positive reaction to your replies, it appears their meaning was considerably broader than I thought, so I had a look at what other creature types go all the way from CR1 or less to epic.

Psyren
2020-05-20, 01:55 PM
I believe Pathfinder has fleshed out a couple of others (like inevitables and proteans) along these lines.

There are undead foes all across the spectrum, though that might be too broad.

You could also consider whether templated monsters count, e.g. Mechanus (3.5) / Axis (PF) probably have a number of axiomatic creatures filling out their low-mid ranks.

Unavenger
2020-05-20, 02:20 PM
Dragons? I'm sure there must be a CR 1 wyrmling floating around somewhere.

MicHag
2020-05-20, 02:24 PM
I wasn't meaning to criticise you. My initial assumption as to what the OP meant by "factions" was similar to Eldan's, creatures which are all united by a common alignment or philosophy or something along those lines. Given the OP's positive reaction to your replies, it appears their meaning was considerably broader than I thought, so I had a look at what other creature types go all the way from CR1 or less to epic.

I didn't feel criticised, i am just not sure what OP meant. I am assuming he wants to build a campaign around a certain "Faction" where he can offer opponents from level 1 up to level 20. And Demons and Devils apparently do not fit his bill.

If someone mentions "Factions" to me, i am thinking "Harpers" or "Flaming Fists" from Baldur's Gate.

magicalmagicman
2020-05-20, 04:03 PM
I'm not looking for creature types. I'm looking for actual factions like Demons or Devils. Not outsiders or evil outsiders or "fey".

I was just wondering if there were any other factions in the game that goes from nothing to all the way to gods.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-21, 01:13 AM
I'm not looking for creature types. I'm looking for actual factions like Demons or Devils. Not outsiders or evil outsiders or "fey".

I was just wondering if there were any other factions in the game that goes from nothing to all the way to gods.

Most gods have low level clerics and other allies, and the fey are united in their courts or whatever structure you decide your campaign uses instead. Even a single epic necromancer can create creatures for every challenge range, and the faction never needs to get bigger than one proper boss and maybe a few free willed underlings.

Factions are what you want them to be.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-05-21, 01:48 AM

Eh...

Devils are a faction. Modrons are a faction.

Most other categories of creature -have- factions but are not one in their entirety.

As far as groups of thematically linked creatures, there aren't many that range from 1 to 20 without gaps. Celestials as a whole can do it but I doubt that's what you're looking for since that can be broken down into 3 factions just like fiends can.

Troacctid
2020-05-21, 01:59 AM
Mind flayers should work. Their thralls can be of any level, and elder brains go up to CR 25. Add in the Thoon stuff from MMV and you can flesh out a campaign pretty nicely.

Psyren
2020-05-21, 02:11 AM
I'm not even sure devils have representation at every CR, though I could be wrong. They've got the ends covered though.

hamishspence
2020-05-21, 03:02 AM
I'm not even sure devils have representation at every CR, though I could be wrong..

Going by FC2 (which listed every devil in an official 3.0-3.5 book, with corrected CRs) they sort of do - though after CR20 they are mostly archdevil aspects (and the infernal when LE - a abomination. Infernals with Baator as their home plane will be devils.)

At CR17 is the biggest fudge - though the table says "Devils by CR" the example is "Hellfire Golem" which is a construct rather than an Outsider. There's nothing whatsoever at CR25, and CR26 had the Infernal (a slight fudge) and the Hellfire Wyrm (a dragon rather than an Outsider).

magicalmagicman
2020-05-21, 05:26 AM
Most gods have low level clerics and other allies, and the fey are united in their courts or whatever structure you decide your campaign uses instead. Even a single epic necromancer can create creatures for every challenge range, and the faction never needs to get bigger than one proper boss and maybe a few free willed underlings.

Factions are what you want them to be.

I know this. But I'm trying to see if there are just pure monsters. If I wanted humans with class levels associated with a faction just by their personal stories, I wouldn't have needed to make a thread.

Eh...

Devils are a faction. Modrons are a faction.

Most other categories of creature -have- factions but are not one in their entirety.

As far as groups of thematically linked creatures, there aren't many that range from 1 to 20 without gaps. Celestials as a whole can do it but I doubt that's what you're looking for since that can be broken down into 3 factions just like fiends can.

I'll count all Celestials as one faction if they do indeed have a monster for all CRs or at least almost all of them. Celestial Template doesn't count. Unlike Fiends, Celestials all work together so I would consider all of them one faction.

Mind flayers should work. Their thralls can be of any level, and elder brains go up to CR 25. Add in the Thoon stuff from MMV and you can flesh out a campaign pretty nicely.

I guess if there are no other true 1-20 factions, Mindflayers are the next best thing. Rereading Lord of Madness it shall be then.

I'm not even sure devils have representation at every CR, though I could be wrong. They've got the ends covered though.

FCII p.158

Going by FC2 (which listed every devil in an official 3.0-3.5 book, with corrected CRs) they sort of do - though after CR20 they are mostly archdevil aspects (and the infernal when LE - a abomination. Infernals with Baator as their home plane will be devils.)

At CR17 is the biggest fudge - though the table says "Devils by CR" the example is "Hellfire Golem" which is a construct rather than an Outsider. There's nothing whatsoever at CR25, and CR26 had the Infernal (a slight fudge) and the Hellfire Wyrm (a dragon rather than an Outsider).

Retrievers are "demons" to the point that Truenamer Demon PrC can buy a Retriever so I don't see why Hellfire Golem wouldn't also count.

Eldan
2020-05-21, 06:28 AM
I'll count all Celestials as one faction if they do indeed have a monster for all CRs or at least almost all of them. Celestial Template doesn't count. Unlike Fiends, Celestials all work together so I would consider all of them one faction.

Quite setting dependent. By old Planescape lore, they are at odds quite often. And there's even factions within the Eladrins cooperating with demons and factions in the Archons cooperating with Hell. And the Angels do whatever their god tells them to, and good gods have gone to war against each other.

hamishspence
2020-05-21, 06:32 AM
True, but, in general, in 3.5, the archons are much more tolerant of the eladrins than they are of the devils (and the eladrins, much more tolerant of the archons than of the demons.)

Eladrins led the charge against the demons after the Queen of Chaos's general, Mishka the Wolf-Spider, was killed. Their storming of the Abyss, is why most obyriths are in hiding, in the deeper layers of it.

Psyren
2020-05-21, 08:47 AM

I agree, it's a stretch to call that a "devil."

Just checked PF and I'm not finding a CR 17 devil there either, though I didn't dig too deep.

Troacctid
2020-05-21, 02:13 PM
Remember that devils can also have cultists, warlocks, and half-fiends working for them.