PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Collecting objects during adventure

nmerlong
2020-05-20, 10:15 AM
For the next DnD campaign, we are going to play a evil party.
My idea is to play as class forest gnome and as race arcane trickster.
I would like to collect objects from the enemies during the adventure. I have the idea to make playing cards form each victim or something in that direction. I was curious what ideas others have and what anothers think of this idea.
Already many thanks.

nickl_2000
2020-05-20, 10:29 AM
A little morbid, but not unheard of. Many PCs have collected trophies (ear, teeth, etc) from kills and battles.

I'm not sure how you plan on making the cards out of dead enemies. However, if you were to calligraphy an image of them after the battle that might be cool and not nearly as creepy.

Personally I like to collect odd things from adventurers, log them down, and pull them out at various times. My veterinarian Druid/Ranger had a pixie dagger in his possession from a level 2 encounter and used it at various times as a scalpel for surgeries.

KorvinStarmast
2020-05-20, 10:31 AM
For the next DnD campaign, we are going to play a evil party.
My idea is to play as class forest gnome and as race arcane trickster.
I would like to collect objects from the enemies during the adventure. I have the idea to make playing cards form each victim or something in that direction. I was curious what ideas others have and what anothers think of this idea.
Already many thanks.
I suggest that you play race: Forest Gnome
and class: Rogue, Subclass Arcane Trickster.

As to collecting trophies and trinkets, if your DM does not track encumbrance, there's little problem. But if the DM does track encumbrance, then you need to consider how big each trophy is.
A claw from an owl bear. An ear from a hobgoblin. Over time, you will find that your back pack fills up, eventually.
Necessary magical item: bag of holding.

Your playing card idea is IMO a pretty neat approach to this.

nmerlong
2020-05-20, 03:33 PM
A little morbid, but not unheard of. Many PCs have collected trophies (ear, teeth, etc) from kills and battles.

I'm not sure how you plan on making the cards out of dead enemies. However, if you were to calligraphy an image of them after the battle that might be cool and not nearly as creepy.

Personally I like to collect odd things from adventurers, log them down, and pull them out at various times. My veterinarian Druid/Ranger had a pixie dagger in his possession from a level 2 encounter and used it at various times as a scalpel for surgeries.

Yeah, the idea is indeed to calligraphy an image of them after the battle maybe with clan icon.

Skylivedk
2020-05-20, 03:41 PM
In the same vein:
We had a ranger who was a Michelin level chef. He pickled, fermented, smoked, earth ovened etc. all our exotic enemies.

His background story was an in-world interview with a newspaper and the only reason he was part of the Tomb of Annihilation-group was to ensure the curse would be lifted, so he could once again cook 7th Raised Yuan-Ti (that's 7 Raise Dead castings for a meal). It was the fiiiiinest dish in all of Faerun. And the most expensive.

His voice acting was extraordinary. He did murder hobo a certain named and famous NPC that was chasing a love lost the centuries.

Reasoning: chasing a lost love is a horrible waste of amortality when you could be coming up something marvelous.

In comparison collecting the heads of dragons seemed pretty tame.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-20, 03:43 PM
Playing cards are a great collectible, much better than say dice (unless your character plays d&d maybe), but somehow it lacks a bit of the edge I was expecting at the idea of an evil dude collecting trophies. Ideally you want to take a finger or a tooth or something from each of them and work that in there somehow. Maybe collect really small bits (nails, teeth, maybe an elven ear or two) and hang them from a necklace or something? Maybe scribe the playing cards in the victim's own blood? Or make notes to the whereabouts of their loved ones on the card? You know, get the serial killer vibe going.

The gimmick works without that. I think it's a great idea, I should do this sometime, keep a logbook of beaten enemies. I just feel there is a reason you chose to do this with an evil character so I'm trying to bring the evil out.