PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed for character concept

Chells
2007-10-26, 12:32 PM
My son is about to join a D&D campaign for the first time tommorrow. He is going for a druid (not the simplest choice but the group is very brawl heavy and no healers at all). The only other spell caster in the group is someone who specializes in summoning.

My thought was to ask the DM if he could swap out my sons spontanious casting. First off he is going to have enough to handle without summoning more critters to the fray. Also it seems like it might be stepping on the toes of the other guy some too. The DM is very rigid and so would not accept anything without a solid roleplaying reason. My first thought was to have him spontaniously cast cures like a cleric but since I couldn't think of a solid plot mechanic for it that fit the character my son had in mind I have since then been trying to come up with something else.

So far nothing really has jumped out at me. So if anyone has a good idea I'd love to hear it.

His character is a halfling druid who rides his faithful hound. Animals are a good theme to work with. He is 10 yrs old but he is a natural (he is more fun, patient and polite that most of the adults I run). He trains dogs too so he can draw that to shape his character.

Have a good one.

Sir Jason
2007-10-26, 12:37 PM
Well, if you want him to have spontaneous cure spells, why not make him a cleric? You could make him of one of the deities of nature, and have him prepare enough Summon Monster I that it would be like having a dog to ride on (you can summon celestial riding dogs with that, if I remember well). Its not quite a druid, but I'm sure that there is a domain somewhere that gives druid-like abilities and spells. I don't know the Spell Compendium domains off the top of my head, but that'd be a good place to start.

TheSteelRat
2007-10-26, 12:40 PM
There's a feat in Complete Divine I believe that lets you swap prepared spells for any "Cure Wounds" spell on your list, so mechanically, it's just a feat away. I believe it's just "Spontaneous Healer"

As for Role-Playing Reasons, why to play a healer? Perhaps gifted with it? Helps wounded animals?

Darrin
2007-10-26, 12:57 PM
My thought was to ask the DM if he could swap out my sons spontanious casting. First off he is going to have enough to handle without summoning more critters to the fray. Also it seems like it might be stepping on the toes of the other guy some too. The DM is very rigid and so would not accept anything without a solid roleplaying reason. My first thought was to have him spontaniously cast cures like a cleric but since I couldn't think of a solid plot mechanic for it that fit the character my son had in mind I have since then been trying to come up with something else.

In Unearthed Arcana, there's a variant druid class called Druidic Avenger that swaps spontaneous Summon spells for fast movement +10 and rage abilities. Essentially, it's a barbarian version of the druid. This simplifies the class role into a more straightforward brawler, although I'm not sure keeping track of rage bonuses is any simpler mechanically. Still... pretty straightforward concept, except you turn into an ANGRY bear rather than just a bear.

Mr.Moron
2007-10-26, 12:58 PM
One possibility is to expand upon his druid's connection to canines. He can have a sort of pack mentality, and wouldn't want to spend his time/energy calling on help from outsiders (as in those outside his what he sees as his pack/family, not the creature type). Instead he focused on developing abilities to help his own circle, such as healing. The lil' guy doesn't just ride a dog, he thinks like one to a certain extent.

Prometheus
2007-10-26, 01:09 PM
Maybe make the connection between healing and nature a strong one. The halfling feels a need to "undo" the harm of mankind, and maybe has a greater quest that involves the earth itself (such as healing a great dying tree, restoring a dried river, opposing a certain human organization that acts without concern for the environment). Using this kind of justice, the druid would be less inclined to heal a wound that he feels is deserving - in this way, he exhibits a leverage seldom seen in druids to respect the environment (oftentimes, druids say, well I won't harm the environment, but there isn't much I can do to stop you...).

playswithfire
2007-10-26, 01:26 PM
In Unearthed Arcana, there's a variant druid class called Druidic Avenger that swaps spontaneous Summon spells for fast movement +10 and rage abilities.

I believe there's also one that lets you drop summons for the ability to cast fast healing equal to the spell slot you drop, which, while not cure spells, is an official variant that might be more easily acceptable. As for how to work it into the backstory, that I'm less good at, but maybe he often found himself rescuing injured animals from traps that would then help him out and thus became more of a healer than a summoner as he was able to find animals without summoning them.

Like I said, backstory justification's not my strong point.

EDIT:my bad; it's PHB II, not Unearthed Arcana; see next post

waynethegame
2007-10-26, 03:45 PM
If this DM allows non-core things (should, but there are always the "Anything not core is broken!" type), there's an alternate ability in PHBII for the Druid called Spontaneous Rejuvenation that gives up the ability to spontaneously cast summon nature's ally for the ability to give friendly creatures in 30' radius (I think, not sure) fast healing equal to the level of the spell expended. I forget how long it lasts.