PDA

View Full Version : Spelljamming The Final Frontier(3.5)

Zarrgon
2020-05-20, 11:49 AM
The Rock of Bral. Within the endless void of Wildspace, lies a cosmopolitan hub upon a still massive rock. This sprawling city within allows for almost any form of trade and meeting, as long as you stay low. Imports from through fantastic space have their way of ending up here, goods from all sorts of Crystal Spheres and demiplanes alike! Within the many markets, there are many strange and wonderful faces. One such is one you have met before!

The Rock of Bral is ruled by a merchant prince advised by three councils: the Council of the City representing the various neighborhoods, the Noble Council representing the landowners, and the Council of Captains representing all shipowners. These bodies do the majority of governing work, but the last word is still always held by the city's Prince. Still, there's little in the way of actual law on the Rock, with the citizenry mostly self-policing in all but the most serious of offenses. While a fairly open community for the most part, the Rock is still tightly managed in some key aspects, including availability of food and water and quality of air; being such a small community, they carefully balance and regulate their resources and needs of each in order to sustain themselves.

Each of you has your own histories and the start of a story....and each story has lead your character here: The Rock of Bral. Post an introduction with at least some description of your character.

Cygnia
2020-05-20, 12:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/nMX0xsa.jpg

Tall and willow thin, the young human woman pushed back a few strands of ashen blonde hair out of her face as she stared in awe of her surroundings. Her voluminous robes (the color of a setting sun) appeared to mark her as some sort of scholar or perhaps a mage. A crossbow hung from her back and a dagger was sheathed at her belt.

By the All-Seeing One's Eye! Toyn had done it somehow...the little gnome had gotten her here. And, gods willing, Coraz could start a new life.

She smiled faintly. Maybe she had a chance after all...

Feathersnow
2020-05-20, 12:34 PM
Tall and wiry by the standards of Giff, towering and hulking by the standards of most other races, Thyydh is both giddy and fearful. She was away from her platoon, seeking her first contract. As a freelancer!
A teenage girl barely an adult by the reckoning of her people, she spent her life focusing the Way of the Gun. A mysterious and mystical art that was the highest calling of the non-magical and generally atheist Giff. And she was gifted in its ways! She was sure she could secure a good contract. And with that start, she could dower herself into a good platoon and be a great leader in time.

Alhallor
2020-05-21, 12:33 AM
Feyla strode through the rock of bral. She could just not get enough of the place. Different people different smells nearly all the time, it was nearly perfect for her.

She waited somewhere to get a snack and the small humanoid (at least for human standards) stood at least two heads smaller than a regular human.

Her small frame and the pointy ears may invoke the feeling that she was an elf but the incredible wanderlust she seems to ooze could tell the initiated that she was really a xeph, one of these wandering folks that seem to at least want to set they're foot everywhere at least once.

Despite her small frame she had a buckler and a crossbow on her back. Her clothing seems to be a wild conglomerate of colors and styles.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-21, 01:27 AM
Daerik Flamewashed is wandering near the port, trying to stay out of the crowd and watch the launches, at least when she can see past the taller people around her. She's wearing a subdued(for her) brown pants with red trim and a white shirt with blue embroidery, but the glowing symbols in the air around her draw attention anyway, as does the fact that, for all her efforts otherwise, she is absolutely staring like a tourist. She's slender and pale even for an Illlumian, and the black hair held back with an ornate comb is not normal for them. She mostly watches, content to wait until she understands things better and ignore the repeated attempts by a nearby shopkeep to get her to buy his "food-like products".

A.A.King
2020-05-21, 05:38 AM
Grurr was walking around the dock looking for work. He had been already on a number of ships so he had the experience, but it seemed few people were hiring nowadays. It didn't help that he didn't quite have the social skills to just talk his way on to a ship, his gruff mannerisms tended to turn people of. Some people even considered him to be intimidating, he never tried to be but the problem was that people don’t tend to realise how tall a Hadozee really is because of the way they walk. The fact that he would suddenly seem significantly taller when he would stand up didn’t help making good impressions.

Still though, he wanted to work. Work was all he knew and work was all he wanted. Structure is what gives life meaning.

Zarrgon
2020-05-21, 12:49 PM
Down at one of the wide loading areas, though one empty of any cargo or loaders, a display of bright lights, colorful flashes and slight booms fill the air.

Once they fade a voice fills the air "Greetings all! I, Heian Siannodel, am here to make you an offer, if you are the right fit. My ship is a fair wanderer, and is in need of a hand of corsairs to help us brave The Black! Are you good with a sword, or spell or your wit? Come join us! Adventure and profit awaits!"

In the middle of the open area, stands a human in fancy sailor clothing, most likely Heian Siannodel, waiting....

Feathersnow
2020-05-21, 01:03 PM
Adventure! Profit! Those two things were what a proper Giff loved most! Thyydh wasn't completely sold yet, but thus seemed promising.

She, quivering with anticipation, gave the ritual greeting to a prospective employer:
Hail! I am Thyydh, a three-strap black bandolier in the Way of the Gun, and I speak for myself alone. I seek gainful employment, that I may advance myself. Let us talk.

Cygnia
2020-05-21, 01:41 PM
"Oh my!" The colorful display startled Coraz admittedly and she quickly looked around the area just in case. It took her a few moments to assure herself all was well and she weighed her options. She was a newcomer to the Rock, had barely settled in to this place.

And yet, maybe she should try to take this opportunity...

A ship would be hard to trace, in theory...

The woman went over to that open area, where the fancy sailor was already being talked to by a strange being that Coraz had never seen the like of before. It looked liked a humanoid version of one of the river beasts rumored to dwell in the southern lands of Qesh-Paq. Ornery creatures those were and Coraz hoped the being didn't have a similar temperment.

"Indeed, what would this job entail then, sir? Exploration or trade or something else...?" A smuggler wouldn't be so bold, or so Coraz thought.

Zarrgon
2020-05-21, 04:42 PM
Heian Siannodel gives a bow, wave and spin in place.

Heian Siannodel "Ah starcross, starcross. As I said in my message, I'm looking for a hand of corsairs. Shipmates to handle the more uncanny problems of space flight. Maybe even things that cross the starline of the law, from time to time.

Room and board provided on the ship, plus five gold a day. Plus you keep what you kill.

Twinkle Good?"

Feathersnow
2020-05-21, 05:07 PM
That sounded like a good deal, and Thyydh had very little cash to wait around for a better offer. Nor did she want to find someone who was going to look askance at her lack of actual experience.

Although that was relative. She was Giff, and that meant she was raised on campaign. Ths little human really was green, by the look of her. But, if she could use the arcane or climb through a crawl space, she had skills no Giff could match. And it wasn't her business.

For myself, I accept.

It was done. The formal words of contract. She was his until at least next portfall. As untold ancestors before her since before the loss of the homeworld, she was a real soldier now!

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-22, 12:07 AM
Daerik runs a hand through her hair, unsure, then settles herself and walks over, her blue cape billowing behind her, the sigils floating around her suddenly more active. (She did not have a cape before this, in case anyone was paying enough attention to notice that).

Well, sir, I have a talent for the uncanny, if you're needing help. No experience in space, but I'm a fast study, and I won't eat your food on this trip, which should make things easier for the long haul.
She hesitates, then looks him in the eyes. Just as long as you're sure about us keeping what we kill. That sort of thing's important to me.

A.A.King
2020-05-22, 05:47 AM
Walking around the docks, Grurr heard the man offering exactly what he was looking for. He was not going to let this opportunity go to waste. He walked up to him and stood up straight

“I’m Grurr” Grurr said as he offered the man his hand

“I’ll work”

Cygnia
2020-05-22, 08:28 AM
Other strange beings were approaching the sailor. One human-like but with odd glowing shapes around her. The other, another strange beastman, this one like an ape of some kind. Coraz tried to not to get distracted by them, else worried that hesitation might allow the opportunity to slip away. "I am a quick study as well, sir -- with skills in both healing and divination. I would be able to forecast if your journeys are fair or foul should you take me on."

Zarrgon
2020-05-22, 12:52 PM
Heian Siannodel "Star light, star bright. All four of you sound and look like a good group of corsairs.

My ship, The Doomed Rose, will be over there at Dock 27, just past third watch bell this night. Meet me all there and we can be off."

A.A.King
2020-05-22, 02:19 PM
He was hired, Grurr couldn't believe it. He was very happy to be able to sail through space again. He looked at the rest of the people who were gathered, a strange bunch and no faces he recognised. Maybe they weren't professionals like him. Then again, there were many many crafts in the sky and it is not like he knew everyone in the industry. Still though, things looked good for him. This time he might make it to upper management!

Then Heian told them where his ship was and to meet him there.

"Will do" Grurr replied and started making his way there. He had been given his first order by the new captain and he wanted to show him that could be trusted to do his job.

Feathersnow
2020-05-22, 04:08 PM
Having a little time, Thyydh decides to get a nice home cooked meal before shipping out. A nice block of timothy hay stir fried with broccoli and cilantro with acorn and chili sauce... it would be great if she could find a Giff restaurant.

She resolves that if there is a cute waiter she will let him get as far as he is willing to go. She is shipping out and that's part of the life of a soldier. Or so she heard. She giggles nervously at the thought.

Then she chickens out and heads straight for the ship.

Cygnia
2020-05-22, 04:49 PM
The quiet woman frowned thoughtfully. ...that's an ominous name for a ship... But maybe it was a tradition of sailors in this plane of existence to give their ships such names in order to ward off bad luck.

Coraz shrugged to herself, making sure her pack was safely on her shoulders. Better to head to Dock 27 and this Doomed Rose now rather than scurrying in a panic at the last second.

Alhallor
2020-05-22, 04:54 PM
Feyla ate something that was absolutely delicious but also squirming with a strange mushy mouth feeling. All in all it was alright but not perfect.

She overheard the captains offer, but had to finish her meal first. Priorities were important.

Ho there, you still have room for a spell slinger? She wiggled her fingers like she would unleash a spell, but didn't. I could use some work, given you have a good smutje?

Zarrgon
2020-05-22, 08:00 PM
Heian Siannodel turns to Feyla.

Heian Siannodel "Yes, I was looking for a hand and you will fill it out nicely. My ship, The Doomed Rose, will be over there at Dock 27, just past third watch bell this night. Meet me all there and we can be off."

Alhallor
2020-05-23, 10:52 AM
That sounds great, I'd take some provisions and then be right there. Feyla surveys the market for unusual foodstuffs and will be there on time.

can I buy exotic rations for 1 gold a piece?

Zarrgon
2020-05-23, 02:15 PM
Feyla does not have any problems finding exotic food stuffs. With food from all over Known Space, a lot of food is exotic.

Cygnia
2020-05-28, 07:17 AM
OOC: We waiting on anyone still? :smallredface:

Zarrgon
2020-05-28, 12:51 PM
Time passes....

The third watch bell sounds.

And a medium sized, silver colored hawk shaped ship bulls into Dock 27.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ghz5PpfjLPU/UnuoEegFnuI/AAAAAAAAFWs/6XRsAOQPkAo/s1600/Heldannic+Warbird+03.png

Heian Siannodel is there and quickly ordered the ship to be loaded with crates and barbells waiting on the dock. Groups of silver haired ape-like humanoids in simple silver outfits, quickly load the cargo on to the ship.

Feathersnow
2020-05-28, 01:37 PM
Thyydh is quivering with excitement and nerves. Her first contract!

Reporting for duty, sir!!

Adventure awaits! This was what she was born to do! She imagines the heroics she will be part of, and already begins to contemplate whichbif her drawings she will have tattooed and where to commemorate the successful end of this mission.

Cygnia
2020-05-28, 02:49 PM
Coraz was familiar with all the ships of her father back in Porto Azzurro, trade caravels mostly, though he prided himself in having two galleons as well for protection. But not even the finest ship in his fleet could match the sheer marvel that was coming in to dock now. It was like something out of a dream -- a near impossible flight of fantasy where she came from. But here! There was only one word for it...

"...breathtaking...!"

She blinked, almost afraid that the dream would slip away from her sight even as she stood there agape. The willowy young woman shook herself out of it, then eagerly approached her new life.

"Ready and willing, sir!"

Alhallor
2020-05-29, 02:47 AM
Feyla was ready, she had combed her hair, washed herself and try'd to exude an aura of professionalism. She was taken aback by the ship, she hadn't expected such a glorios vessel. She couldn't resist but to give a salute.

Happy to serve on such a fine ship Captain.

And the crew! was that a Giff? It would be an interesting adventure indeed.

A.A.King
2020-05-29, 07:51 AM
Grurr was happy to see that there were other hadozee around. His kind was spread out that he sometimes felt quite alone. Still though, the most important part was that he could travel again. Boy had he missed that.

He looked at the other people who had gathered around, not many were stending outside with him. Maybe more were already on board. Best to ask

"How many sailors, Sir?" he said in his usual rough voice to the captain. It's always useful to know how big the crew is.

Zarrgon
2020-05-29, 11:44 AM
Heian Siannodel "Well again all. Board the ship so we can be right away as soon as the cargo is loaded. If you have any thing to stow, the bow compartment is for you all. It's on the middle deck, all the way forward, right behind the starhawk head.

And hold your starflies, I'm not the captain. I'm the first mate. The Doomed Rose has fourteen sailors onboard, all hadozee.

Within another two minutes all the cargo is loaded onto the ship.

A.A.King
2020-05-31, 09:10 AM
"That means they are competent" Grurr says after finding out that the existing crew are all Hadozee like him.With that said, he climbs aboard.

Cygnia
2020-05-31, 10:14 AM
'Hadozee'... Coraz ruminated on the name given to the ape-sailors. Unconsciously, she patted the clip in her hair. Having a majority of the crew be made up of the same people could potentially be a problem and Coraz made a mental note to study the gait and mannerisms of these hadozee on this journey -- just in case.

Pushing away her worries for the time being, Coraz climbed aboard the ship.

Zarrgon
2020-05-31, 11:34 AM
Once everyone is onboard the The Doomed Rose quickly backs away from the dock. A blue bubble of light forms around the ship. Then the ship spins around and flips over until it faces away from the dock, then in a blur of motion the ship moves away at a high speed. It only takes a minute for the Rock of Bral to be nothing more then a small dot aft of the ship.

Feathersnow
2020-05-31, 01:25 PM
Shipping out wasn't new to Thyydh, but every time, she watched the old rock float away. This time had special significance, though. She left her childhood behind and entered the grown world.

She looks to the one she thinks is called "Coraz"
Is this your first contract, too? I'm so excited! Of course I was raised in a platoon, but this is my first contract under my own name as a hired gun.

Not that I'm inexperienced... I have a triple-black bandolier. How about you, what do you do? Some kind of eldritch powers? I always wondered what that would be like... but, of course, no Giff has had anything like that since the homeworld was lost.
Oh.. sorry should introduce myself. I'm Thyydh, sharpshooter warrant officer 3rd grade

Cygnia
2020-05-31, 04:58 PM
How is "Thyydh" pronounced anyways? :smallwink:

"Coraz. Coraz Tylin." Coraz bowed her head slightly in respect. 'Giff'. More things to potentially observe and look for if needed then.

At least her new shipmate was sociable! And she seemed to have some familiarity with ships like this. The weapon she bore reminded Coraz of something called an "arquebus", though it seemed much more advanced than anything she had seen before. Such items were rare where she was from, though rumours had them being potentially more dangerous to the wielder what with them allegedly exploding in the user's hands sometimes.

"This is the first time I've ever been on a vessel like this...so yes, I'd guess this is my first such 'contract'." Coraz flashed an awkward smile. "I am...how do I best describe what I do? I am a priest, a cleric. I specialize in divination. At least, I try to."

Feathersnow
2020-05-31, 05:29 PM
I don't know what those words mean, but they sound important! Good to have you aboard!

Thih-ith

A.A.King
2020-06-01, 10:27 AM
Grurr stands on deck as the ship takes of, and he enjoys watching the place they left get smaller and smaller. Eventually though, he starts feeling useless for just standing around. He was an employee, he needed to proof his worth and earn his pay. He walks back to the man who hired them who had told them he was just the first mate. He wanted to ask the man a question

"Sir. The Captain, when do we meet?"

Zarrgon
2020-06-01, 12:08 PM
Heian Siannodel looks over at Grurr "Soon. I hear we got ourselves a big gig. Say in about an hour, on the aft deck....that is the open area in the back of the ship, right by the hawk tail feathers."

Cygnia
2020-06-03, 10:00 AM
"Shall we get to know this ship better? I'd hate to get lost on it..." Coraz asked the Giff.

Feathersnow
2020-06-03, 07:47 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Thyydh proceeds to ask one of the Hadozee deckhands for a tour or to point of someone to provide orientation.

A.A.King
2020-06-05, 05:16 PM
"That sounds promising" Grurr said when hearing about the big gig. He stood there for a while in silence, before adding "Bye" and leaving to find the aft deck. He had been on a fair number of ships already, but of course each one has a different lay out. He did not want to be late, a good worker is never late! If he found it quickly enough, he would explore a little around that area but he would not stray to far. He needed to make sure he could quickly make his way back to the meeting place. First impressions are important for the big boss!

Zarrgon
2020-06-05, 09:20 PM
Two Hadozee sailors are happy to give a tour.

Sailor Fov The The Doomed Rose is a Starhawk class ship: a light, fast escort vessel.

The ship has four decks:

The Cargo Deck, at the very bottom. It's a large open area for cargo. Loading hatches are aft. The middle of the deck can also open hawk claws on the under side of the ship can grab items and move them into the hold.

The Crew Deck is next up. This deck has a couple small cabins, plus the kitchen and the head.

The Main Deck is open to space with a railing all around.

The Bridge Deck, the aft castle of the ship rises up from the main deck. It has the pilots helm and the navigation room.

The ship has no mounted weapons, we go for more speed and maneuverability. "

Feathersnow
2020-06-07, 02:32 PM
Thyydh walks through the tour and has no questions. After the Hadozee concludes, she gives a polite response. Then something occurs that should have been obvious.

Very nice! I am glad to be of service aboard her. Where do I report and when am I expected?!

No cannon... what a shame. Still, a contract is a contract, and it isn't like I actually know how to use them

Alhallor
2020-06-08, 02:31 AM
Oh, that was a blunder. Well Feyla had to make it up to prove herself.

She listened while she was touring the ship and introduced herself to the Giff and Coraz after it.

Hi, Im Feyla Xilyan by the way. But Feyla is okay. If you need some help with magic perhaps I can do something. She made a grand overly complicated gesture and let her clothes shine with a light spell, for just a moment but then snuffed it out. She looked curios at the weapon the giff was carrying.

If it's not too much can I have a look? I may have a little something in my researches that could benefit you.

Sorry I had some RL issues but are back now.

Cygnia
2020-06-08, 09:24 AM
For her part, Coraz took some relief at the fact that the ship appeared to have no weapons. That the crew preferred speed and mobility rather than violence.

Of course, that meant if there was unexpected danger, then it would fall upon themselves to defend matters if escape could not be had. ...Lord of All Magiks, may it never come that...

Once she knew what this first job entailed, Coraz hoped that she would have a better idea of what to ask Boccob in order to aid the others.

Zarrgon
2020-06-08, 05:27 PM
An hour later Heian Siannodel rings a bell on the aft deck. "Everyone is this our captain: Ambrosaxxi Pontianax."

With him stands a humanoid female, a little over seven feet tall. Her body is slim with long arms and legs. She has light blue skin with mixed patches of silver. Her eyes are a dark gold color and glow with light. Her silver hair is long and flows down her back, and moves slightly. She wears tight fitting red colored leather clothing, with knee high black boots. On her belt on her left side is a silver cutlass, and on the belts left side is a silver pistol. The bottoms of her boots don't touch the deck and she floats about half an inch in the air.

Feathersnow
2020-06-09, 01:03 AM
Thyydh salutes the captain and awaits orders. She is very excited and resists showing it openly.

Vaguely, she wonders what manner of creature the captain is, she suspects some kind of elemental outsider-kin. Not that it is any of her business. She is the captain, her family history is no affair of a lowly mercenary!

A.A.King
2020-06-09, 08:01 AM
The moment Heian introduces the captain, Grurr stands up completely straight and salutes. A floating captain for a floating ship. Makes perfect sense.

Cygnia
2020-06-09, 09:46 AM
"Captain..." Coraz bowed her head respectfully. Meanwhile, her curiosity gnawed at her as her mind whirred at what sort of being the Captain was...

Let me know if there's a Knowledge category I missed...just going with the more likely candidates first

(Know: Arcana + Collector of Stories)
[roll1] (Know: Planes + Collector of Stories)
[roll]1d20+7z (Lore: Cloistered Cleric)

Zarrgon
2020-06-09, 07:22 PM
Arcana: Captain Ambrosaxxi Pontianax looks like a Reigar. the reigar are a near-legendary androgynous race, only rarely encountered by the average space faring adventurer. Their men are very beautiful and their women are extremely handsome. They are of tall human proportions, willowy of build, and long colorful hair.

Legend has it that this race taught the elves everything they know about creating beautiful items – and the elves forgot most of it. Supposedly they also taught the dwarves the same arts – with the same results. Their love of creation for its own sake was also given to the tinker gnomes of Krynn, or so it is said.

Captain Ambrosaxxi Pontianax "Well met and welcome on board, you look like a fine group of Spacers."

Alhallor
2020-06-10, 01:48 AM
Feyla gives an exaggerated bow to Coraz.

If our looks are that convincing you should see us in action! Happy to serve on such a fine ship captain.

Zarrgon
2020-06-12, 09:14 AM
Captain Ambrosaxxi Pontianax "So the gig. We get to go save a prince. He was hunting and fishing on Zaraweti...when the planet was hit by a plague. It's a K'r'r'r world and they were quick to lock down the world. But the king wants his boy back and he is willing to pay. So..

Zaraweti is mostly a water world with scattered islands. And the only ships they are letting in are healing ships. So we should not have too much trouble: we can make our ship look like a Dove Ship easy enough as it already has a bird shape.

So we slip through the blockcade, you corsairs all go find the prince and bring him back to the ship, and we fly out of there.

Questions?"

Cygnia
2020-06-12, 09:35 AM
Trying to figure out what/who K'r'r'r are
[roll0] (Know: Planes + Collector of Stories)
[roll1] (Lore: Cloistered Cleric)

Coraz wracked her mind about who or what "K'r'r'r'" was, not wanting to show how Clueless she was about planar matters. In the meantime, she focused on the questions she could comfortably ask.

"What manner of being is this Prince? Is he human or hadozee or someone else? Where on this world was he last seen? And what is the nature of this plague?"

That had her the most worried of all, but that was something she could attempt to prepare for at least.

Feathersnow
2020-06-12, 10:38 AM
So my role is to hide in the hold on the way in and give backup if things go south?

Obviously, a Dove ship wouldn't have need of a Giff mercenary.

A.A.King
2020-06-12, 01:02 PM
"How old is the 'boy'?" Grurr asked. He wasn't sure if he should picture an easy to hide and carry kid, or somebody more adult like.

Zarrgon
2020-06-12, 04:00 PM
Captain Ambrosaxxi Pontianax " Prince Vencarlo Kalepopolis like his father the king Neolandus Kalepopolis and queen Ileosara Kalepopolis are all Darfellans. Prince Vencarlo Kalepopolis is an adult, maybe thirty years.

We have no idea where he is on the world, but there are only a couple places to look.

The plague...kills. It's a plague. No one knows much about it.

Your part of the job is to get the prince."

Knowledge Lore: Towering over most humanoids on their long, stilt-like legs and observing them through nine multi-faceted eyes, the K’r’r’r have a reputation for being unsettling to say the least. Their dark blue to black skin is riddled with large pores and cracks that appear to shift and move when looked at for too long. The strangely humanoid torso and head perched atop six evenly spaced legs that may just be hanging upside down or strolling over sheer drops cements meeting a K’r’r’r as an experience to be avoided by most intelligent creatures

Zarrgon
2020-06-14, 10:35 AM
Captain Ambrosaxxi Pontianax "So, no more questions?

If not get some rest, we will be entering the flow tonight, and the travel to Zz'rrspace will take ten days."

Cygnia
2020-06-14, 01:50 PM
I know what a darfallen is, but since Coraz is from a prime material world with more traditional humanoids, she might not... :smallwink:
[roll0] Know: Local + Collector of Stories (for humanoids)
[roll1] (Lore: Cloistered Cleric)

Distracted by what she remembered about the K'r'r'r', Coraz nodded again, not willing to express her concerns about the captain not knowing what symptoms the plague could express. Perhaps it only affected the K'r'r'r', leaving other species alone.

Or, perhaps it was so virulent that all beings would be endangered. For the sake of the crew and this King's family AND people, Coraz promised herself to be extra vigilant.

Alhallor
2020-06-15, 03:00 AM
Fetching a prince sounds really nice. Feyla smirked wistfully. She was a bit worried about the plague but decided to worry about it should someone actually catch it.

In the meantime she would rest and ask the first mate if she could somehow help disguising the ship.

[roll0]

Zarrgon
2020-06-15, 02:41 PM
Heian Siannodel No aid is needed. We have a magic spell that we can cast on the ship. An illusion."

Cygnia
2020-06-16, 09:42 AM
OOC: Do folks wanna do a little "get to know each other better" RP beforehand or do we want to just fast-foward through the ten days travel (NOTE: this does not preclude Zarrgon throwing an Encounter on the way)? Just want to know so I can prep Coraz' spells beforehand... ;)

A.A.King
2020-06-16, 10:28 AM
Is help needed on deck? Grurr said. The mission sounded fine, but he was afraid this all sounded like an one and done kind of deal. He wanted to use the time they had until the ship reached the destination to proof that he should be hired full time.

Grurr is not much of a talker, preferring to use as little words as possible, so I'm in favour of not playing out the getting to know each other for 10 days thing.

Alhallor
2020-06-17, 04:06 AM
I would like to play the 10 days out a bit, but with one character that can't really contribute I'd say we should skip. Though Feyla would like to share some of her rations that are too sweet even for her taste to eat it as a full ration and tell anyone that want's to hear it that they should not worry about whatever goes down on that planet. They are enough healers on the planet already and the captain would surely do something even if they contracted a disease.

Zarrgon
2020-06-19, 04:50 PM
The Doomed Rose leaves the crystal sphere, sails through bright orange gas clouds, and then approaches another crystal sphere.

Heian Siannodel "We will be entering the crystal sphere soon. To do so, we need to open a portal, and they are gonna see that. We have the illusion that makes us look like a dove medical ship....but they are still gonna board us to check us out.

With a little starshine, we will only get stopped by a duo K'r'r'r' patrol. One ship will dock with us, the other will hang back.

And this is where you all will come in: you will need to take them all out as quickly as you can. And at the same time, don't make it to flashy or noisy...we don't want any one on either ship sending a message for help. "

Feathersnow
2020-06-22, 04:33 AM
Thyydh is excited. Her first boarding action!

Aye, aye Sir!

Cygnia
2020-06-22, 08:28 AM
Coraz looked a little worried. "How soon before we meet then?" Perhaps she should consider divining if this would be a good idea or not...

Zarrgon
2020-06-22, 11:43 AM
Heian Siannodel "We are about 12 hours out right now. As soon as we get there we will phaze in. They can't miss it, and will intercept us within an hour. We can hold off and ride the curve if you have a plan that needs more time.

Then it's three days of hard travel to the planet. With luck we won't encounter any patrols along the way...but you never know.

We will have to do the same thing to make planet fall....except there will be a lot more ships around the planet.

So whatever plan you can come up with will increase our chances."

Cygnia
2020-06-22, 01:26 PM
I think it's time to discuss strategy, folks. Especially if we need to prevent communication from the K'r'r'r while we attempt to neutralize them.

Alhallor
2020-06-23, 03:45 AM
Not that I disapprove some action but couldn't we just swindle our way through? I have something on me that I can at least bluff using healing magic and the others surely can contribute in another way? Or do the K'r'r'r have some way to see through that? I just think that they will be pretty grateful for every help they can get and we should use that to our advantage. If they are struggling with a disease they even may need all kind of junk that we could deliver towards the planet. If that doesn't work I still can concentrate my fire on them.

I don't wanna go all no combat whatsoever just think that it's a possibility to swindle ourselves through. Should we decide to battle Feyla will say that we should take some of the K'r'r'r to inspect our "provisions" get them down when they are inside the ship and then attack the others.

Zarrgon
2020-06-23, 09:38 AM
Heian Siannodel "Well, the ship illusion is made for more distance viewing. Once they send over a inspection and interact with the illusion, they might see through it. And even more so we can be sure at least one of them will be a spellcaster, if not a diviner.

Now the K'r'r'r are an insectoid race, and they don't really care for us animal folk. But one of the planets in Zz'rrspace, Zaraweti is like I said mostly water with some islands. K'r'r'r don't like to stay on planets long, and they like water even less....so this planet has no real value to them.

But years ago someone noticed that Zaraweti is a hunters and fishers paradise. Endless miles of fish and animals to catch. So eventually a deal was worked out to allow the rich and famous, like our wayward prince, to go hunting and fishing there.

So the K'r'r'r care about losing their money making planet, but don't really care about the people."

Cygnia
2020-06-23, 02:16 PM
"The illusion on the ship...just a glamer then? Nothing tactile, I assume?" Coraz's brow furrowed. As a priest, she was capable of healing magicks. "I do have a spell that could aid in preventing detection. But if the K'r'r'r' decide to physically interact with the ship more closely, it may not help."

A pause.

"If we must fight, will we need to kill them?"

Zarrgon
2020-06-23, 05:24 PM
Heian Siannodel "Yes, exactly right. Disguise ship is an illusion glamer spell.

Well, you don't have to kill them. But we will need to have them out of the way for at least a couple days, maybe as many as five. Magic would work fine, like ay if you could put them asleep for that long. As long as you have enough magic to effect several ship crews.

Killing them is the easiest most direct way. "

A.A.King
2020-06-24, 03:53 AM
"I could incapacitate them" Grurr said while cracking his big gorilla knuckles after somebody mentioned an aversion to killing. "then we tie em up"

He leaves a bit of a pauze before adding

"Either is fine with me"

I have no magic to contribute, nor the social skills to talk us out of an inspection. Best I can do for a no-killing strategy is chose to deal non-lethal damage with my fists. Also, Big Monkey don't do stealth well.

Alhallor
2020-06-24, 04:03 AM
I would like to avoid unnecesarry bloodshed but the magic that I have is not capable of not killing. And as much as most people would like to buy me a meal I fear I can't swindle our way out of this. Feyla sighs. I can try to take out the first one that goes in, but I have no idea how I to jam their communication abilities.

Cygnia
2020-06-24, 08:50 AM
"I should elaborate..." Chagrined, the woman sighed. "It is not that I find killing or violence abhorrent. I just fear that my combat skills are lacking. Should diplomacy or subterfuge not work and the K'r'r'r answer with attempted lethal force, then I will do what I can to defend our lives and the ship -- and if that means killing them, then so be it. My concern is, if it comes to that and we do then succeed in getting to the world and the Prince, how hard will it then be to escape afterwards? The K'r'r'r would probably be on alert..."

A.A.King
2020-06-24, 09:22 AM
"Not fight at all makes sense" Grurr says "but if they find us, would they care? Absence of first group, alive or dead, means rest is on alert when we leave, yes?"

He leaves another short pause before attempting to summarise his point

"Disguise as first step makes sense, but if it fails there is nothing we can do to make our escape easier. I think"

Zarrgon
2020-06-24, 11:31 AM
Heian Siannodel "I don't see a way to sneak by or talk our way through. Though if you can, we are for any plan.

Once the board us, I'm sure they will see through the illusion. What could we possibly say at that point? At best they might just arrest us, and at worse they might just kill us. I did mention K'r'r'r don't value us animal lives much.

And we'd stop their communications by stopping the sender. Each ship will have a spellcaster just for that.

And, yea, after we take care of both crew we can set both ships adrift. Who knows how long it might be before they have to report in? Best guys is once a day or so. But even when they miss a check in, the whole sphere won't go on high alert. They will most likely just send a ship to look for them. Figure it will take them at least a day to find the two drifting ships.

That gives us two...maybe three days, and we should make it to the planet by then. So then you all go down, scoop up the prince, and we make our escape. They will likely be on high alert by then, but we will cross that star when we come to it."

Cygnia
2020-06-24, 12:21 PM
Coraz bowed her head at Heian. "Then we will prepare for battle. In the hour before we are boarded, I will try to divine if our path is favored or if there will be more peril at hand than we expected. And I have magicks that can aid our prowess in combat..."

For her part, that means Coraz wants to cast Omen of Peril while they wait to get boarded to see potentially how much danger they could be in. She'd be casting it as a 7th lvl cleric due to the Knowledge Domain and her Talisman of Boccob.

Buff-wise, she's got Blessed Aim (casting it as a 7th lvl cleric, 7 min duration) to give a +2 morale bonus to ranged attack rolls and Interfaith Blessing (casting it as a 5th lvl cleric, 5 min duration), which she'd want to cast right before the K'r'r'r get on the ship so she doesn't accidentally buff them. Doesn't state which type of bonus it is, so it should stack with Blessed Aim. ;)

Thing is, IB lists more for a Greyhawk oriented pantheon, so not sure how it plays off for the other PCs' respective beliefs (though "no deity" IS an option)

"Deity Blessing
Bahamut, St. Cuthbert, or Yondalla +1 on attack rolls and saves
Boccob, Corellon Larethian, Vecna, or Wee Jas +1 on attack rolls and skill checks
Ehlonna, Obad-Hai, or the general worship of nature +1 on attack rolls and to AC
Erythnul, Gruumsh, or Lolth +2 on damage rolls
Fharlanghn, Moradin, or Pelor +2 to AC
Garl Glittergold, Olidammara, or no deity Roll 1d8 to determine blessing; a result of 6 is player's choice
Heironeous, Hextor, or Nerull +2 on attack rolls
Kord, Kurtulmak, or Tiamat +1 on attack rolls and damage rolls "

Alhallor
2020-06-25, 03:54 AM
Good then I will prepare myself too. Does anyone wants their weapon too shot farther?

If someone wants, Feyla can smear some Ink on a ranged weapon to double their range for 50 minutes, casting Accuracy.

Blessed Aim is really appreciated and with Feyla with IB it will be No Deity. (What does that even do? Nothing?) When the K'r'r'r ship docks she will down a Potion of Mage Armor for another +4 AC bringing it up towards 19.

Cygnia
2020-06-25, 08:58 AM
Roll 1d8 to determine blessing; a result of 6 is player's choice
So, the list would be...
1. +1 on attack rolls and saves
2. +1 on attack rolls and skill checks
3. +1 on attack rolls and to AC
4. +2 on damage rolls
5. +2 to AC
6. Player's choice
7. +2 on attack rolls
8. +1 on attack rolls and damage rolls

One way or the other, even non-believers will benefit ;)

Alhallor
2020-06-25, 09:17 AM
[roll0]

More AC, nice. That would be 21 then… That's pretty crazy.

Zarrgon
2020-06-27, 10:42 AM
The Doomed Rose travels along for the next 12 hours. Then phases into the Crystal Sphere. The illusion forms and makes the starhawk look like a stardove type ship.

Heian Siannodel "All right, that is one hour...mark.

They will have seen us and sent two ships to intercept us. And it should not take them more then an hour."

As expected, about an hour later, two small dark green leaf shaped ships both smaller then The Doomed Rose zoom towards it at a fast speed.

Cygnia
2020-06-27, 01:37 PM
In the hour while they waited for the K'r'r'r, Coraz found a secluded and quiet area of the ship to cast her divination. She sat cross-legged and touched her Talisman of Boccob as she bowed her head and cast the lacquered sticks on the deck.

"Lord of All-Magic, Your humble servant asks if You would but deign to give a sign as to what this immediate future holds in store and whether it is more perilous than expected..."

Omen of Peril
(Spell Compendium, p. 149)

Divination
Level: Cleric 1, Druid 1, Ranger 1, Liberation 1,
Components: V, DF,
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

A brief supplication gives you a vision that hints at how dangerous the immediate future is likely to be.

Based on an assessment of your immediate surroundings and chosen path of travel, you receive one of three visions that reflect the next hour's journey: safety, peril, or great danger.

The base chance for receiving an accurate reply is 70% +1% per caster level, to a maximum of 90%; the DM makes the roll secretly.

If the omen of peril is successful, you get one of three visions, which lasts just a second or two.

Safety: You aren't in any immediate danger. If you continue on your present course (or remain where you are if you have been stationary for some time before casting the spell), you will face no significant monsters, traps, or other challenges for the next hour or so.

Peril: You will face challenges typical of an adventure: challenging but not overwhelming monsters, dangerous traps, and other hazards for the next hour or so.

Great Danger: Your very life is at grave risk. You will likely face powerful NPCs or deadly traps in the next hour.

If the roll fails, you get one of the two incorrect results, determined randomly by the DM, and you don't necessarily know that you failed because the DM rolls secretly.

Choosing which vision is "correct" takes some educated guesswork on the part of the DM, who should assess the characters' likely courses of action and what dangers they're likely to face.

The exact form that an omen of peril takes depends on whether you worship a specific deity, venerate nature as a druid, or simply uphold abstract principles. A druid might see a white dove for safety, a dark cloud obscuring the sun for peril, and a forest fire for great danger. A cleric of Fharlanghn might get a vision of a straight road for safety, a crossroads for peril, and a washed-out bridge for great danger.

Unlike the more powerful augury spell (PH 202), an omen of peril doesn't respond to a specific question. It indicates only the level of danger likely for the next hour, not what form the danger will take.

Knowledge Domain + Talisman of Boccob add +2 to her caster level

Alhallor
2020-07-02, 02:27 AM
Just wanted to say that I'm ready for the encounter after the omen is resolved.

Cygnia
2020-07-02, 09:00 AM
Likewise, regardless of the Omen's info, Coraz will still be casting Interfaith Blessing & Blessed Aim right before the K'r'r'r get on the ship.

ETS: Although...it's now saying "banned" under Zarrgon's name...?