PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Faerie Fire

jjordan
2020-05-20, 02:10 PM
Cast the spell, illuminate creatures and objects in the area of effect. Great. Creature leaves the area of effect. Does the illumination/glow continue to have an effect upon them?

Ninja_Prawn
2020-05-20, 02:14 PM
As far as I'm concerned, yes. A creature doesn't wake up if you drag it out of the effect of a sleep spell, does it?

micahaphone
2020-05-20, 02:15 PM
They continue to be affected

For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.

The cube area is only for the initial cast, the affected creatures/objects continue to glitter as long as you maintain concentration

nickl_2000
2020-05-20, 02:16 PM
So, fairie fire isn't a cloud spell that impacts an area. It's a spell that impacts an area and then the initial trigger is over with.

So, anyone under the effects of it can move where ever they like and they are still illuminated.

Segev
2020-05-20, 02:16 PM
Cast the spell, illuminate creatures and objects in the area of effect. Great. Creature leaves the area of effect. Does the illumination/glow continue to have an effect upon them?

Each object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.

Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can’t benefit from being invisible.

Quoted for reference.

The way it's worded, the 20-foot cube is for initial targeting. Objects and creatures are then affected, limned in the light. The spell calls out at least once that it cares about the area "when the spell is cast," admittedly only wrt creatures, but still it's fair to assume that's conversational rather than limiting. (They expect creatures to move; objects less so.)

I would say that things, once affected, remain affected.

Chronos
2020-05-20, 03:23 PM
It works the same way as a Fireball, where creatures who later leave the area still have burns.

jjordan
2020-05-20, 03:26 PM
It works the same way as a Fireball, where creatures who later leave the area still have burns.That's funny.

Thanks, everyone. I thought that was the case, and that's how I played it. Just wanted to make sure.