PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Psychic Theurge = Cerebremancer?

Aotrs Commander
2020-05-20, 02:24 PM
Is there any particular reason that Cerebremancer could not be expanded to divine spells instead of arcane as an alternate presitige class feature - or better, an an archtype1?

I know 3.5 had the Psychic Theurge, but apart from replacing the name and arcane spells with divine spells and Knowledge (Arcana) with Knowledge (Relgion) (and (lanes on the skill list), there was no functional difference between that and cerebremancer (since neither got any cvlass features aside from dual-casting).

So when it comes to a PF-version, it just seems more expedient to have a note under Cerebremancer (which doesn't have any of its class features that wouldn;t work the same way with divine spells), rather than try and concoct a load of new features for Cleric/Psions or something.

(As on checking Library of Metzoftiz, there does not seem to be any existant divine/psionics hybrids.)

Any thoughts?

1I mean, I don't SEE a good reason whay PrC can't have either of those.

Psyren
2020-05-20, 02:50 PM
Sure, this is fine.

To reiterate a broader point I've made in a couple of your threads now: you appear to be applying a 2020 design lens to decisions that were made a decade ago, closer to the system's beginning - back before the OGL (and WotC's tolerance for competition based on it) were really tested either from a legal or logistical standpoint. In other words, at the beginning of PF, publishers (both Paizo themselves, and third-party) stuck more narrowly to converting whatever was on the SRD, erring on the side of coloring inside the lines, rather than making new things that might inadvertently trip over some WotC closed content. So whenever you find yourself asking "is there any reason they didn't X" - it's a good idea to keep in mind what was likely going on in the industry at the time, as well as Pathfinder's own newness to the scene.

Similarly, DSP was practically two guys publishing books in their respective garages at the time, and the initial conversion of the OGL XPH stuff in Psionics Unleashed came out barely a year after PF itself did. So something like the Cerebremancer, which is only arcane/psionic, would likely not have been broadened back then; Psychic Theurge meanwhile may have been published on WotC's website, but it's not technically open content even so.