PDA

View Full Version : What is this? Both the rider and the mount?

eyebreaker7
2020-05-20, 03:18 PM
I got it a while back online somewhere and it said it was a dragonborn on mount or something like that. Is it a dragonborn? What edition/source if so or is it just some fan art? And what would you say the mount is?

el minster
2020-05-20, 03:20 PM
please clarify/ use grammer

daremetoidareyo
2020-05-20, 03:25 PM
Drakkensteed. You'll find it in Dragon magic I think

eyebreaker7
2020-05-20, 03:26 PM

Sorry I just realized I didn't post the link for the picture:

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Valygar_Corthala/Dragonborn%20on%20mount_zpsf2qwcw26.jpg

liquidformat
2020-05-20, 03:32 PM
Sorry I just realized I didn't post the link for the picture:

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Valygar_Corthala/Dragonborn%20on%20mount_zpsf2qwcw26.jpg

Looks like a dragonborn on a megaraptor

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-20, 03:32 PM
The thing being ridden is a dinosaur, definitely. It's not super paleontologically accurate, which makes is hard to place, but it looks inspired by images of feathered raptors like Deinonychus. (The Jurassic Park raptors, basically.) My guess from looking at the D20 srd list is that it's a Megaraptor. The real fossil creature called Megaraptor is not actually very closely related to raptors, but the D&D one is, and it's a large creature.

EDIT: Ninja'd. So close.

Maat Mons
2020-05-20, 06:05 PM
This dude (https://www.deviantart.com/willobrien/art/Pathfinder-Cleft-Lord-656537798) says it's something called a "cleft lord."

eyebreaker7
2020-05-20, 07:20 PM
It sure doesn't look like any dragonborn I've ever seen. What is a "Cleft Lord"? I'm just finding the picture over and over.
I went to the link you provided and read the artists comment about the drawing. Must be cool to do stuff like that :)

tyckspoon
2020-05-20, 07:29 PM
It sure doesn't look like any dragonborn I've ever seen. What is a "Cleft Lord"? I'm just finding the picture over and over.
I went to the link you provided and read the artists comment about the drawing. Must be cool to do stuff like that :)

Probably a title or position rather than a description/creature type. It's a pretty common format title for a military commander - Wall Lord, Lord of the Gates, Warlord of the Horde, etc. It appears to just be art and is not specifically designed to go with any particular statblock.

This random thing I found on Google (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs42rn1?Cleft-Lords-of-the-Thoraso-Cracks) says it was printed in a book called "First World: Realm of the Fey", where it was basically used as side-gutter decoration with not much more than a brief snippet of world-building text as a footnote.

Blackhawk748
2020-05-20, 07:31 PM
Looks like Pathfinder art. It's some humanoid riding a raptor. Nice pic

Buufreak
2020-05-20, 07:44 PM

The sweet irony of making the grammatical error of misspelling grammar.

KillianHawkeye
2020-05-20, 08:26 PM
The sweet irony of making the grammatical error of misspelling grammar.

That would be a spelling error, not a grammatical one.

Buufreak
2020-05-20, 09:41 PM
That would be a spelling error, not a grammatical one.

Ah, but it is both, as grammar is what the common man knows, and a grammer, or a person who grams.

eyebreaker7
2020-05-20, 10:38 PM
Moved the question to it's own post.

Telonius
2020-05-21, 03:19 PM
Did a Google Image search of that - same picture over and over, but the other versions of it have Copyright Paizo Publishing LLC (in various states of blurry) in the bottom right-hand corner. The other source (the "Cleft Lord" link) says that the guy (Will O'Brien) made it at Pathfinder's request. So I'm guessing it would either be in that campaign setting, or it was an image that was commissioned but not actually used in the book.

EDIT: PathfinderWiki has a category (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Category:Artwork_by_Will_O%27Brien) of stuff by Will O'Brien; I'd say that's probably what happened.

eyebreaker7
2020-05-21, 07:44 PM
It can't be a megaraptor they are to big: "This creature is a larger version of the deinonychus, standing about 12 feet tall with a total length of 24 feet. It has the same appearance, habits, and abilities of the smaller version."
How long does it take a dinosaur to grow? lol.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-05-22, 04:31 AM
It can't be a megaraptor they are to big: "This creature is a larger version of the deinonychus, standing about 12 feet tall with a total length of 24 feet. It has the same appearance, habits, and abilities of the smaller version."
How long does it take a dinosaur to grow? lol.

They're the large version though, so that's the one a medium creature would ride. (And that cleft lord doesn't look like a small creature, even if he isn't meant to be some form of dragonborn or similar.)

You're free to call it the Utahraptor or something, but I'm quite sure this image was inspired by the stats and description of the d&d version of a megaraptor. The drawing despite the anatomical weirdnesses (what are those front claws?) seems very inspired by images of feathered raptors.

hamishspence
2020-05-22, 05:30 AM
They're the large version though, so that's the one a medium creature would ride. (And that cleft lord doesn't look like a small creature, even if he isn't meant to be some form of dragonborn or similar.)

You're free to call it the Utahraptor or something, but I'm quite sure this image was inspired by the stats and description of the d&d version of a megaraptor. The drawing despite the anatomical weirdnesses (what are those front claws?) seems very inspired by images of feathered raptors.

I figure the 12 foot height requires it to rear back and raise its head as high as it will go - and the 24 ft length is with the spine straightened right out into a line.

In a more normal pose, it shouldn't look too different from the above pic.