PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Gravity and gliding?

SangoProduction
2020-05-20, 04:13 PM
https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reverseGravity.htm
So, reverse gravity can cause a creature to go straight up (a minimum of 240 ft, from bottom to top) in one round. So, once would assume that flying downward is essentially out of the picture, except for the fastest of speed demons.

But let's start at the beginning. A flying creature is shot straight up, and it has the ability to glide, never taking damage, and limiting the speed. Does that apply to this spell, but upwards, instead of down?

Elkad
2020-05-20, 04:33 PM
In PF this would be a fly skill check probably. You just have to get inverted, and then you are flying again, with a free altitude change.
3.5? Who knows. Any relevant skill you can talk me into. Tumble, Jump, Spellcraft to ready yourself, etc

And then you are gliding towards the new "down"

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-05-20, 04:51 PM
I'd treat it like getting tripped while flying (which there are rules for, believe it or not). IIRC you fall for one round, then make a save to recover. For creatures that can't take fall damage because of a gliding ability... I think I'd rule that this is a case of specific beating general, and they take the damage if they impact before recovering, since their wings are in no way positioned correctly to let them actually glide.

el minster
2020-05-20, 04:53 PM
In 3.5 there is nofly check you just glide"toward the new down".

Khedrac
2020-05-21, 06:23 AM
I would also take a good look at the flight maneuverability rules - it seems logical that a perfect flier would find it much easier to adjust to a sudden change in "down" than a poor flier.
(Oh dear, suggesting logic in D&D - I must be mad.)

SangoProduction
2020-05-21, 01:33 PM
I would also take a good look at the flight maneuverability rules - it seems logical that a perfect flier would find it much easier to adjust to a sudden change in "down" than a poor flier.
(Oh dear, suggesting logic in D&D - I must be mad.)

Quite mad. But aren't we all? I mean, we engage in collective imagination of impossible things getting stabbed to death or burning alive or dissolving in acid. As well as talking to people who don't exist.