PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Frostrager Base Class

JNAProductions
2020-05-20, 04:56 PM
Is there something like that?

I have an idea for a PC who's very much into the ice theme, and is a martial character, but the only class I know of off-hand that'd work for it is Frostrager, which is a 7th-level minimum PrC.

Some homebrew is acceptable, but not too much.

Thank you guys for your advice/assistance!

el minster
2020-05-20, 05:07 PM
There's a barbarian ACF which makes you immune to cold but you take double damage from fire, however there is another ACF which makes you immune to fire but you take double damage from cold. Your DM may let use both to become immune to fire and cold.

Psyren
2020-05-20, 07:48 PM
Not specifically, but with the right rage powers you could build a frost-themed barbarian (or bloodrager) fairly easily in PF, including things like cold resistance/absorption while raging, and channeling the abilities of a white or silver dragon.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-20, 08:28 PM
Is there something like that?

I have an idea for a PC who's very much into the ice theme, and is a martial character, but the only class I know of off-hand that'd work for it is Frostrager, which is a 7th-level minimum PrC.

Some homebrew is acceptable, but not too much.

Thank you guys for your advice/assistance!
Go with a TOB Swordsage and ask your DM to let you rebrand Desert Wind as Northern Gusts? It's just an energy type change, shouldn't even close to unbalance anything.

Another option would be Duskblade with Energy Substitution, though that's not really much ice-theming.

There's the UA Favored Environment Ranger, but that's still not a lot of cold.

Dr_Dinosaur
2020-05-20, 09:23 PM
Spheres of Power classes like Mageknight are martials that can create icy weapons and such from level 1

daremetoidareyo
2020-05-20, 11:24 PM
Brand of the nine hells: levistus gives you ice armor (cold resist 20) and +1d6 cold damage to unarmed strikes. Throw that on a battledancer/sword sage/barbarian and take that shadow hand strike where you roll 2d20 for extra cold damage.

Mark of stygia can add another d6 cold damage. And if you wear historian green steel gauntlets that's +3d6 cold damage per punch.

But what you want from that is the +4 to hit and damage if both you and the opponent are on ice.

So:
Silverbrow Human draconic fist passive way monk 2 chosen of evil/mark of stygia/ius/improved trip
Deadly hunter druidic avenger Druid 1 With snowcasting (at level 3) and flash frost spell at level 6 (Dawn Swift action spell w/15 radius that creates ice that doesn't affect your balance and gives you +4s)

You might have to start druid and switch to monk. With chosen of evil going on level 3. And Mark of stygia on level 6.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-05-21, 05:46 PM
Frozen Berserker feat is an easy one. Maybe make the base race Shifter and go with Winterhide Shifter. It helps that Shifter and Barbarian go together like peanut butter and chocolate, with the fantastic Shifter Savagery feat once you reach BAB +6 (which also improves your unarmed strike as if you had grown two sizes), and if you take three levels in the Shifter prestige class Weretouched Master (wolverine) you get another source of Rage that stacks with the Barbarian Rage. And at that point you're ready to go into Frostrager proper, if you want, or Warshaper if you don't.

Also, if you allow Dragon Magazine, the City Brawler barbarian ACF gives you Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. Even without that, Ape Totem Barbarian gives you Power Attack at 3rd level (probably call it Yeti totem). Either way, you're a lot closer to qualifying for Frostrager. A level of Ranger gives some nice stuff, most notably Knowledge (nature) as a class skill to qualify for Weretouched Master without hurting your BAB and free Fast Movement (Predator Rangers trade away their fighting style but that doesn't matter if you're only taking the one level).

So you might end up looking like Shifter Predator Favored Environment Ranger 1/ Ape Totem Barbarian 4/ Weretouched Master 3/ Frostrager X.

Hawk12192
2020-05-22, 11:35 AM
To me, this sounds like a kineticist, though I am not too knowledgeable about the inspiration behind this. That being said, kinetic knight focused on ice may fit what you had in mind. A lot of folks bully kineticist, but its good if you know how to use it.