PDA

View Full Version : Bean vs. Vetinari

kco_501
2007-10-26, 12:37 PM
Who do you think would win in a political power play between the two. Both come with their own groups, and are on different sides. Everything is allowed, but they should share a tech level.

PS. I mean Bean as he developes ni the Shadow Saga, not just in Ender's Game... And the Patrician, also as he is developed in the more recent books (i.e. with the assasin training and so forth)

Kaelaroth
2007-10-26, 12:41 PM
If they are sharing a tech level, Vetinari. He just takes over everything with his control-freak uber-cool tentacles of political intrigue. :smallamused:

Porthos
2007-10-26, 12:48 PM
I'm disappointed. :smallfrown:

When I opened this thread, I was hoping it was referring to the other well known Bean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Bean).

Oh well. Maybe next time. :smalltongue:

Riffington
2007-10-26, 12:56 PM
Why would they fight?

kco_501
2007-10-26, 01:04 PM
It would be inevitable if they were to share a space time continuum and NOt be on the same side... Vetinari would not allow such a power player to exist. And i am not sure that Bean could be handled with only political intrigue, as he proved more than capable of outwitting bread geniuses and also seeing through enemies plans.

Tengu
2007-10-26, 01:12 PM

When I opened this thread, I was hoping it was referring to the other well known Bean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Bean).

Same here. I really think it would've been very interesting...

kco_501
2007-10-26, 01:17 PM
The answer to the other Mr Bean is too obviuos... he would be catalogued as Mime and thrown to the scorpion pit

Hermit
2007-10-26, 01:54 PM
This (http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/4c/180px-Bean_the_Dynamite.gif) was the first Bean which came to my mind. no idea why either.

Greebo
2007-10-26, 01:54 PM
It would be inevitable if they were to share a space time continuum and NOt be on the same side... Vetinari would not allow such a power player to exist. And i am not sure that Bean could be handled with only political intrigue, as he proved more than capable of outwitting bread geniuses and also seeing through enemies plans.

Disagree. I believe you do not understand Havelock Vetinari.

Vetinari has no interest in turning A-M into an empire, or in conquest of any sort. (See Making Money AND Jingo) His is the most powerful city in the world, yet he allows many power players to exist within his realm, even when he is aware they could challenge him (Vimes, Von Lipwig, Harry King, even, to a degree, the editor of the Times), not to mention the number of power players outside of his realm with whom he maintains positive relations (The Low King, That Lady Vampire, and so forth).

bugsysservant
2007-10-26, 03:04 PM
Vetinari Hands down. Bean could probably lead a successful army against Ankh Morpork, but we know how that would turn out... :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2007-10-26, 03:05 PM

lol...me too, I was thinking of blackadder..

Moff Chumley
2007-10-26, 04:13 PM
...Pratchet vs. OSC...
Um...
Vetinari.

Malik
2007-10-26, 10:07 PM
Vetinari.

He is just too tricky.

Cyrano
2007-10-26, 10:12 PM
"Bean chose of his own free will to become a master spy. It was that or choose of his own free will to be thrown out an airlock. Into a pit of scorpions."

The_Snark
2007-10-26, 11:10 PM
Truly, free will is a wonderful thing.

Green Bean
2007-10-27, 12:07 AM
Vetinari.

Bean uses armies. Vetinari uses people. While in the expanded Shadow books, Bean learns how to win people's loyalty, he's got nothing on Ankh-Morpork's twistiest mind.

Winterwind
2007-10-27, 06:14 AM
I'm not so sure.

Vetinari is so brilliant in his schemes that the sheer scope of it is being used for comedic effect, but still I have the feeling he is way below the level of genius Bean operates upon.

No matter his plans and manipulations, Bean would foresee them and devise a counter.

bugsysservant
2007-10-27, 07:39 AM
"Bean chose of his own free will to become a master spy. It was that or choose of his own free will to be thrown out an airlock. Into a pit of scorpions."

Bean would be a TERRIBLE spy! The guy is what, eight feet tall?

I'm not so sure.

Vetinari is so brilliant in his schemes that the sheer scope of it is being used for comedic effect, but still I have the feeling he is way below the level of genius Bean operates upon.

No matter his plans and manipulations, Bean would foresee them and devise a counter.

Just like he saw through Achille's, hmm...

And I have no doubt that Vetinari is better than Achilles. Bean is smarter and a better strategist than Vetinari, but he's not that great at politics.

kco_501
2007-10-27, 08:12 AM
In the shadow books bean proved to be quite able to master the subtler art of politics and in the newer Discworld books Vetinari showed ample fighting skills... so i would not dismiss either of them on these grounds.
Also,let me remind you that both are obviously highly intelligent and adaptive, and while suffering apparent setbacks at times, have never actually lost a conflict.
(except maybe Vetinari in Sourceror, but i find that particular one irrelevant)

Green Bean
2007-10-27, 08:15 AM
In the shadow books bean proved to be quite able to master the subtler art of politics and in the newer Discworld books Vetinari showed ample fighting skills...

No, Bean understood politics, but he never really tried to play them. That was more of Peter's job.

kco_501
2007-10-27, 08:19 AM
Because Peter was already on it, but not because of lack of potential or possibility :) And while Bean does not make a play for power, because he is not interested in having it, i think he would "retire" someone he deemed inadecquate. And to that end, do anything including politics :)

Cyrano
2007-10-27, 08:24 AM
Bean would be a TERRIBLE spy! The guy is what, eight feet tall?

This is the sort of thing that you'd expect.
But you're talking about the Discworld. Pratchett makes the things you expect NOT HAPPEN, merely for personal amusement.

Dervag
2007-10-28, 12:17 AM
It would be inevitable if they were to share a space time continuum and NOt be on the same side... Vetinari would not allow such a power player to exist. And i am not sure that Bean could be handled with only political intrigue, as he proved more than capable of outwitting bread geniuses and also seeing through enemies plans.Vetinari doesn't pick fights with powerful and cunning enemies if he can help it. Bean isn't very ambitious; Vetinari would quickly ascertain that he's not a great threat to Vetinari's rule or the prosperity of Ankh-Morpork.

Because Peter was already on it, but not because of lack of potential or possibility :) And while Bean does not make a play for power, because he is not interested in having it, i think he would "retire" someone he deemed inadecquate. And to that end, do anything including politics :)Vetinari is easily as good a politician as Peter- better, because he's not as blind to the things that don't concern him.

Peter Wiggin is something of a megalomaniac; he's so focused on uniting the world (with benevolent aims, granted) that he loses sight of the details. This makes him vulnerable to his enemies on levels that Vetinari is not. So if Bean was willing to follow or tolerate Peter, he'd be willing to follow or tolerate Vetinari.