PDA

View Full Version : Optimization TO and PO Uses for a Few Obscure Immediate Action Feats

Doctor Despair
2020-05-20, 07:13 PM
I was browsing a list of feats that bestow immediate actions and came upon a few that seem like they have a high ceiling for optimization, but as I've never seen them mentioned, I wasn't sure if I was misjudging their value. Could anyone offer an outside perspective on these feats?

You adopt insanity as a shield to turn effects that target your mind against those around you.

Prerequisite
Base Will save +5,

Benefit
As an immediate action, whenever you are the target of a mind-affecting spell or spell-like ability, you can take 1 point of Wisdom damage to retarget the effect to another creature of your choice within the effect's range. The new target takes a —4 circumstance penalty on its saving throw, if any, against that effect.

Is this just strictly better than gaining immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities, and online way earlier (barring multiple effects being thrown at you in a single turn cycle)? It's a Vile feat, so iirc that requires you to be evil, but being able to toss it back at the caster seems... insane? The only specification is that the creature has to be in range, so you should always be able to target the caster, regardless of whether you're aware of where they are, right? Or your mind-blanked friend, I suppose, for a more boring option. Additionally, doesn't this allow you to target yourself with mind-affecting spells for a free +4 to the DC for the new target? And there's no clause that you can't stack an immunity on top of it (have your cake and eat it too), or negate the ability damage somehow (Binder dip?)... Is that worth a feat-slot? Or would it be better to just take your Mind Blank and rely on your own class features? I suppose it's a dead feat if no one ever targets you with a neagtive mind-affecting spell or spell-like ability...

You put yourself into harm's way to protect your allies.

Prerequisite
Constant Guardian (DrU) ,

Benefit
Whenever the beneficiary of your Constant Guardian feat is attacked, you can take an immediate action to instantly exchange places with that character.

Both you and the ally must be able to move into and legally occupy the new space in order for this feat to function. For example, an incorporeal character inside a solid object couldn't exchange places with a corporeal character, nor could a nonflying creature exchange places with an airborne flying creature.

I think this would work with an Acorn of Far-Travel, right? So if you put a minion, or level 1 human commoner hireling, or creation of some sort with these feats within 10 feet of the tree, they could teleport you as an immediate action. I suppose they could just keep trying to use it until it worked, right? So it would essentially be a contingent Greater Teleport with the location fixed? If you had two acorns, you could teleport yourself back by hitting yourself if the hireling kept using it, right? And of course that means your hireling would only be hired to always carry an acorn and try to switch places with you. I'm not sure how valuable this is, although it requires no resources from the caster apart from the ability to enlist someone to your service to take those two feats and live by the tree. It's not a teleportation effect or spell-like ability, so it would bypass dimensional lock and teleport cage, right? Or is this too much work to duplicate the effects of Craft Contingent Spell and any teleportation ability?

You fight with the rage that only a rabid badger or a beer addled dwarf can bring to bear. In combat, you shrug off attacks and continue fighting even in the face of horrific injuries and effects.

Prerequisite
Rage or frenzy ability,

Benefit
When fighting, you can endure tremendous blows with little visible effect. As an immediate action, you can choose to delay the effect of a single attack, spell, or ability used against you. The damage or effect does not take hold until the end of your next turn. You can only use this ability while under the effect of your rage or frenzy ability. You can activate it once every time you use your rage or frenzy ability.

Truth be told, this one has me a little flummoxed. I feel like there's some super-high optimization cheese we could do with this ability, but I'm not versed enough in high-level caster play to think of it off the cuff. I think it's a nombo with Iron Heart Surge, since it delays the effect and doesn't grant instantaneous effects a duration, although a very permissive DM might allow that combo to just flat-out negate one attack, spell, literally anything as an immediate/standard action combo. I feel like there's some wriggle-room when it comes to the reading of "against you" that might allow you to target yourself with an effect and delay the effect, which is where I think there might be some gas for this ability with either a racial or ability-ripped Rage ability, or Druidic Avenger, or a barbarian 1 dip on a caster, but I'm not sure where to take that, since it can't be a conventional defense for a caster (rage negates spellcasting ability). Entering/leaving a rage is a free action iirc, so you could cast a spell, enter a rage, immediate action delay the effects, and end rage, right? I suppose that means you could delay the effect of an anti-magic field that you cast; it doesn't delay the spell, only the effect, so arguably it would let you cast anything within the field until your next turn. I'm given to understand Disjunction isn't very common at high-level as every caster's spell component pouch contains NI costless artifacts, but on that note, you could delay the saves you'd need to make after using Disjunction on another caster, allowing you between 1 and 2 rounds before you'd need to make the saves, perhaps giving you time to avoid having to make the saves at all. Anything else TO we can do with this? And is it worth taking to enable these at higher levels?

daremetoidareyo
2020-05-20, 07:40 PM
Insane defiance + dc 40 knowledge history check.

Check out the killing frost of gundarak in dmg2.

That there is a weaponized knowledge check.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=22032906&postcount=115

Mad foam rager?
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?549225-Nova-The-exploding-E6-Barbarian

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-20, 08:13 PM
Insane Defiance would be a useful teamwork feat, ally targets you with Hold Monster and you redirect it to the enemy, which takes a -4 to its save. Bind Naberius to get fast ability healing. This would be good on a cohort for a Beguiler.

daremetoidareyo
2020-05-20, 08:15 PM
Can you name an enemy with dutiful guardian? Cuz a planar Shepard tied to the positive energy plane could intercept enemies attacking themselves, as your planar bubble forces dc 20 fort saves against explosion

Doctor Despair
2020-05-20, 08:16 PM
Insane defiance + dc 40 knowledge history check.

That's a silly one! Not sure of the utility for a PC, but definitely of use for a DM, as Thurbane's linked thread shows. I suppose a generous reading of Geas would mean the subject carries out the quest immediately, which would effectively incapacitate one enemy per round per point of wisdom damage (combine with Binder for Naberius to negate 1 damage/round). However, that's assuming the creature who did not perform the knowledge check is aware of what the quest is supposed to do. Thurbane seems to go the route that you could tell the creature when it's quest is, as the knowledge check-performer, but that also assumes they believe you. I suppose at the very least it imposes 3d6 damage and a fort save to be sickened after 24 hours and each day after that on that restrictive reading, which would be... a pretty effective way to murder NPCs in low-level campaigns if you could consistently make that knowledge check.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?549225-Nova-The-exploding-E6-Barbarian

Another fun one, with a pliable DM :) I'd like to imagine Nova would have a similar relation to Death that Deadpool does in the comics, haha. Mechanically, it reminds me of Destructive Retribution reflavored. Definitely a lot of use for a mundane to "shake off" any ability for a turn or so, regardless

Edit:

Insane Defiance would be a useful teamwork feat, ally targets you with Hold Monster and you redirect it to the enemy, which takes a -4 to its save. Bind Naberius to get fast ability healing. This would be good on a cohort for a Beguiler.

I suppose you could trade out Insane Defiance for Leadership for the same effect, plus the added benefit of whatever else the cohort offers. :) Saves yourself a binder dip (or the feat tax of Bind Vestige) for the infinite re-use cheese. Now that I think about it, you have to intentionally NOT be immune to ability damage to use the feat, right? The way it's phrased makes it seem that way, anyway, so Naberius is definitely the right call

Edit 2:

Can you name an enemy with dutiful guardian? Cuz a planar Shepard tied to the positive energy plane could intercept enemies attacking themselves, as your planar bubble forces dc 20 fort saves against explosion

Dutiful Guardian keys off of Constant Guardian, which says...

By paying careful attention to nearby allies and reducing the accuracy of your attacks, you help protect your companions.

Prerequisite
Required for
Dutiful Guardian (DrU) ,

Benefit
Once during your turn as a free action, you can take a —2 penalty on your attack rolls to grant a single ally within 10 feet a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class. This effect lasts until the start of your next turn or until you are more than 10 feet from the chosen ally, whichever comes first.

Special
A fighter can select Constant Guardian as a fighter bonus feat.

... so if you could get the Acorn of Far Travel on an enemy, and your minion/hireling/cohort was able to designate them as an "ally" (you could tell them to constantly designate the holder of the acorn as an ally, I suppose), they should be able to swap with them -- for no save -- when they are attacked, regardless of the result of the attack. That would drop them either at the location of the tree, or at the location of the hireling if they have a second Acorn of Far Travel. Sleight of hand has a DC 20 check to pickpocket a character at no save (only one to notice, not to prevent it), so barring an immediate action, you SHOULD be able to drop an item in their pocket while your hand is in there as a free action. If you can make a DC 40, you can make the slight of hand as a free action, then attack with your standard action to trigger the effect, leaving your move action for the start of the round to move up and initiate it.

I like the planar shepherd idea, assuming the NPC is smart enough to attack itself to prevent the positive energy explosion, haha. Throw in a bluff check: Take this acorn if you want to live!

Leave them in the positive energy plane to feverishly attack themselves until they burst, or a dead magic plane as a prison (although that makes this a bit of a one-time trick, unless you go there to deal with him eventually and reset).

Troacctid
2020-05-20, 10:01 PM
Insane defiance only works on targeted effects, once per round, and only if you're not flat-footed. So it's not just better than passive mind blank. It's good, though.

I prefer Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment [Patience Domain]) over Mad Foam Rager. It's once per day instead of once per rage, but it delays the effect for 1 minute instead of 1 round, which is a big difference.

Doctor Despair
2020-05-20, 10:24 PM
Insane defiance only works on targeted effects, once per round, and only if you're not flat-footed. So it's not just better than passive mind blank. It's good, though.

I prefer Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment [Patience Domain]) over Mad Foam Rager. It's once per day instead of once per rage, but it delays the effect for 1 minute instead of 1 round, which is a big difference.

And doesn't require you to either be a druid, give up a caster level, engage in shapechange shenanigans, or ability rip some poor splatbook monster with a supernatural ability to rage (if there is one), nor does it require you to only use it on your turn. Overall, a strict upgrade; I doubt, without excessive convolution, it would be very expedient to get ahold of more than one rage/day anyway, outside of Druidic Avenger. Nice one!

Have you used it at all in past campaigns or builds?