PDA

View Full Version : Making a magical lance/great sword.

eyebreaker7
2020-05-21, 12:47 AM
https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e...psf2qwcw26.jpg

What weapon enhancement bonus would you go with for a base price in making this:

“Fen-del-rand”: Special lance can fire the top of the lance off as a missile weapon. The butt end shortens, the hand grip turns into a hilt and a sword blade, that was hidden inside the lance, lengthens to turn the whole thing into a great sword.
I know it would have to be at least +1 but what about the other bits? I'd like to make it holy in the future for both the lance and the sword.

And what happend to the different sized lances? There's only one now? I've never used one before so I never noticed.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-05-21, 01:15 AM
https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e...psf2qwcw26.jpg

What weapon enhancement bonus would you go with for a base price in making this:

“Fen-del-rand”: Special lance can fire the top of the lance off as a missile weapon. The butt end shortens, the hand grip turns into a hilt and a sword blade, that was hidden inside the lance, lengthens to turn the whole thing into a great sword.
I know it would have to be at least +1 but what about the other bits? I'd like to make it holy in the future for both the lance and the sword.

And what happend to the different sized lances? There's only one now? I've never used one before so I never noticed.

Link's broken.

Gavinfoxx
2020-05-21, 01:18 AM
What does this do that any +1 Morphing Sizing Throwing Returning weapon doesn't do?

eyebreaker7
2020-05-21, 02:02 AM
Seems a lot of my pics on photobucket are currently unavailable. Sorry about that.

"What does this do that any +1 Morphing Sizing Throwing Returning weapon doesn't do?"

Never heard of a "Morphing" or "Morphing Sizing" enchantment before. Where can I find them? And it doesn't have the "returning" ability. Other than that it's just something different. At least to me :)

hamishspence
2020-05-21, 02:36 AM
Morphing and Sizing are both in Magic Item Compendium.

Morphing allows weapon to change into another weapon of same type (light, one-handed, or two-handed. Sizing allows weapon to change size.

Since a Large version of a one-handed weapon, is a two-handed weapon (with a penalty) and a Small version of a one-handed weapon is a light weapon) the combination of the two effectively opens up every possible size of weapon.

So - you want a greatsword? First upsize your Medium longsword to Large, then change its shape.

eyebreaker7
2020-05-21, 04:47 PM
It's ok to post links to diviantart right? If so I can post direct link to the pic in thought. It's called/named "Cleft Lord" by WilloBrien.

The lance in the picture is kind of a short lance that looks like it would only be a little bigger than a great sword? Would I still need the "sizing" property made into it? The weight for a great sword is 8 lb and a lance is 10 lb. How big is the lance they mean in the PHB?

lightningcat
2020-05-21, 07:44 PM
Lance and great sword are both two-handed weapons, so no need for Sizing.
And since you only want 2 forms, instead of all two-handed weapons, you could have it switch between them as a Swift action instead of a Standard action. Still counts as a +1 bonus, we will call this Twin Form.
Refluffing the Throwing/Returning combo lets you fire off the lance tip with a Range of 10' and use it again next turn. Each of these are a +1 bonus.
So the total cost would be 32,350gp, and it would count as a +4 weapon. Holy would add another +2 bonus, and make it cost 72,350gp. Heavenly Burst and Holy Surge are each +1 bonus, also both in the MIC and which build on the Holy effect.
If you want to start it as a Holy Avenger, then it would cost 220,630, and only gain the extra +3 Holy and other effects in the hands of a Paladin, and would count as a +10 bonus. But would be a +2 cold iron Throwing, Returning, Twin Form Lance/Great Sword otherwise.

Gavinfoxx
2020-05-21, 08:15 PM
The thing is... If any of my characters ever got such a weapon (I usually play characters who view magic items as tools), theyd immediately sell it for half price and use the proceeds to get all sorts of useful equipment, including a melee weapon and a ranged weapon that were far cheaper and far, far, far more useful and versatile.. That's the problem with all these expensive rule of cool items. They're overpriced for what you get, and even cutting their cost in half, that money can always be better spent!

eyebreaker7
2020-05-22, 11:15 AM
Lance and great sword are both two-handed weapons, so no need for Sizing.
And since you only want 2 forms, instead of all two-handed weapons, you could have it switch between them as a Swift action instead of a Standard action. Still counts as a +1 bonus, we will call this Twin Form.
Refluffing the Throwing/Returning combo lets you fire off the lance tip with a Range of 10' and use it again next turn. Each of these are a +1 bonus.
So the total cost would be 32,350gp, and it would count as a +4 weapon. Holy would add another +2 bonus, and make it cost 72,350gp. Heavenly Burst and Holy Surge are each +1 bonus, also both in the MIC and which build on the Holy effect.
If you want to start it as a Holy Avenger, then it would cost 220,630, and only gain the extra +3 Holy and other effects in the hands of a Paladin, and would count as a +10 bonus. But would be a +2 cold iron Throwing, Returning, Twin Form Lance/Great Sword otherwise.

"This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown. A returning weapon flies through the air back to the creature that threw it."
How would that work? The tip would come back but how would it get back on the end of the lance? Maybe have it "teleport" back onto the end of the lance? Would that cost more? Or maybe just fire a bolt of energy instead of the tip?
I am not fond of the 3.5 Holy Avenger. It seems rather weak to me for the cost. The 1st and 2nd edition was better with the dispel on hit.
I didn't know about the Heavenly Burst or Holy Surge. Those are nice.
Would the enchantments have to be placed on both the lance and the great sword separately? At least the tip of the lance if it fires off?

Hawk12192
2020-05-22, 11:23 AM
Not sure if you were still looking for methods, but you may enjoy the shardingenchantment since you would like to make ranged attacks.

lightningcat
2020-05-22, 11:23 AM
The Throwing ability lets you then put the Returning ability on the weapon, refluffing the visuals lets you fire the tip rather than actually throw it, but it is mechanically the same, including the limitations. It only needs one set of enchantments, as it is one weapon with multiple forms, not two seperate weapons.
And yeah, the Avenger is better in earlier editions, and really the 3.5e version is to expensive anyways. I almost want to rebuild it, although I don't play 3.5e anymore.

RNightstalker
2020-05-27, 03:43 PM
Check out the Manticore Blade. It has things that shoot out of it and it's still a greatsword IIRC.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-05-27, 03:50 PM
Check out the Manticore Blade. It has things that shoot out of it and it's still a greatsword IIRC.

That's from the arms and equipment guide, btw.

A quick reverse engineering says the spike shooting bit of its magic is worth 2k. Since it produces 1 spike per day to a maximum of 6, I'd hazard maybe 6k to make it a shoot at will deal. Definitely not more than 10k to fire at will with it.

eyebreaker7
2020-05-27, 04:05 PM

A quick reverse engineering says the spike shooting bit of its magic is worth 2k. Since it produces 1 spike per day to a maximum of 6, I'd hazard maybe 6k to make it a shoot at will deal. Definitely not more than 10k to fire at will with it.

I was thinking of something like the spined shield in the DMG:

Spined Shield
This +1 heavy steel shield is covered in spines. It acts as a normal spiked shield. On command up to three times per day, the shield’s wearer can fire one of the shield’s spines. A fired spine has a +1 enhancement bonus, a range increment of 120 feet, and deals 1d10 points of damage (19-20/×2). Fired spines regenerate each day.

Moderate evocation; CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, magic missile; Price 5,580 gp; Cost 2,740 gp + 223 XP."

You wouldn't need it to do it every round since you'd close for melee with the great sword or you'd be close enough to hit with the lance as a melee weapon. Either way you don't need a missile anymore by that time. I figure you'd shoot it once and then do melee. Thus saving the other 2 missiles for further in the day if needed. Or to shoot someone trying to run for help.
The "throw/return" feature would be nice if you could actually reach the end of the lance to replace the tip when it came back. Either way you wouldn't be using it every round.

RNightstalker
2020-05-27, 04:25 PM

It's also in the MIC, though it's actually the Manticore Greatsword...so my bad!

eyebreaker7
2020-06-04, 01:26 AM
Just perusing through the MIC and on page 52 there's this lance:
FORCEFUL SKYLANCE (MIC 52)
3 times per day, you can command this +1 lance to produce a magic missile effect, firing three missiles with each use. These missiles can be aimed at up to 3 targets within 150 feet of you.
Seems pretty fitting like the spined shield variation.
The Manticore Greatsword is on the next page.

Just an update on it in case anyone else comes looking.

el minster
2020-07-10, 10:51 AM
alternatively you could try to make something like a swordbow from MIC