PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 'The Armorer' from the Mandelorian (This is the Way)

Celaeno
2020-05-21, 03:52 AM
My group's long-running campaign is drawing to a close, we're starting to plan for the next one, and I'm drawing inspiration for my new character from The Armorer, from the Mandelorian series.

With that being said, what build (starting level 3 going up to 16+ in the campaign) would you envision for The Armorer?
Fighter? Forge or War Cleric? Paladin? Artificer? Or a Multi-class? Are there certain feats, skills, abilities, spells or weapons that would stand out to you as being more thematic for the character (aside from blacksmith tool prof)?

We roll for stats, and my rolls were 14,12,15,16,18 and 13, so more MAD dependent builds could likely work, and there is no limitation on race choice for the campaign being planned. UA classes and all current WotC books are allowed. We're also a larger group (6-7 experienced players) so needing to cover specific skills or party rolls isn't outright required at this point in build crafting, though the expectation would be this character would be at least competent in melee combat, be on the front line, and likely would be helping to gear up the group during low levels, if not longer into the campaign.

I have so many ideas on how to build the character, that I just can't decide. I hope that others might have thoughts or suggestions for what they would envision for The Armorer in a D&D setting, that could help me develop a fun and thematically appropriate build.

Thanks!!

Yora
2020-05-21, 04:27 AM
That seems like a perfect example of a non-good Devotion Paladin. Maybe some Battlemaster levels would fit well, but I am not sure how well the two classes synergize or overlap.

hamlet
2020-05-21, 05:11 AM
Honestly, I'd go for a either a Forge or War domain cleric, or if your DM works with you, blend the two into an "Armouror Domain."

As for race, if you want to stick close to the Mandalorian theme, human. However, hobgoblins would probably fit this pretty well. Maybe dwarves.

rlc
2020-05-21, 05:28 AM
I haven't actually seen the show, but based on the name, I'm going to suggest the armorer artificer.

GearsX
2020-05-21, 05:34 AM
Maybe an Artificer Battle Smith dipped with Fighter levels, use a hammer as a weapon, let ur DM also let u use it as a smithtool. Your infusions are like blessings. This is the way.

jaappleton
2020-05-21, 06:02 PM
Hobgoblin Armorer Artificer

You can pick up Warhammer and Maul as weapons. You create things, tools for other adventurers. So Artificer is perfect.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-05-21, 08:04 PM
I would say forge cleric, maybe a touch of artificer for infusions...

Celaeno
2020-05-21, 08:20 PM
Hobgoblin Armorer Artificer

You can pick up Warhammer and Maul as weapons. You create things, tools for other adventurers. So Artificer is perfect.

Why hobgoblin? Nothing against the idea, just curious at the reasoning. :)

Also curious on the armorer artificer choice too. My reading of it was more like an Ironman in D&D, but that's just what first popped in my head.

Celaeno
2020-05-21, 08:25 PM
I would say forge cleric, maybe a touch of artificer for infusions...

I had thought of that too, but then couldn't decide, what sort of dip into artificer? Go 3 for battle smith, go further in that to get the extra attack? Would I put any focus to strength then since I would use intellect for melee attacks, which while cool, a non-strength smith seems...odd.

rlc
2020-05-21, 08:47 PM
I was thinking elf or dwarf for the race if you pick armorer

zinycor
2020-05-21, 09:21 PM
I Would go artificer (Armorer (https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020-Subclasses03_0224.pdf)), with acolyte as the background.

Honestly, you could probbly go with any otion you feel like. But Artificer feels like the Sci fi class.

micahaphone
2020-05-21, 09:25 PM
Hill dwarf (+2 con +1 wis, extra hp)
16 str, 14 dex, 17 con, 13 int, 19 wis, 12 cha.

I'd spend a while in forge cleric,at least 9 levels, be the tanky frontline caster that supports the hell out of their allies. You'll be a scary tank, but your monk ally with Holy Weapon cast on their fists will be even scarier.

I remember the Armorer as a good level headed leader who set up the other mandalorians for war and glory, empowering weapons and armor. Don't remember too much of her doing fighting herself.

Dwarf gets you bonus hp and warhammer for a martial weapon.

Level 4 ASI could be Observant for 20 wis and nice perks (assuming your DM uses passive perception), or 20 wis and 18 con. Level 8 asi for res(con) if you didn't increase con at 4, or warcaster.

Int and cha can be swapped depending on what multiclassing you want to have available to you.

Celaeno
2020-05-21, 09:34 PM
Hill dwarf (+2 con +1 wis, extra hp)
16 str, 14 dex, 17 con, 13 int, 19 wis, 12 cha.

I'd spend a while in forge cleric,at least 9 levels, be the tanky frontline caster that supports the hell out of their allies. You'll be a scary tank, but your monk ally with Holy Weapon cast on their fists will be even scarier.

I remember the Armorer as a good level headed leader who set up the other mandalorians for war and glory, empowering weapons and armor. Don't remember too much of her doing fighting herself.

Dwarf gets you bonus hp and warhammer for a martial weapon.

Level 4 ASI could be Observant for 20 wis and nice perks (assuming your DM uses passive perception), or 20 wis and 18 con. Level 8 asi for res(con) if you didn't increase con at 4, or warcaster.

Int and cha can be swapped depending on what multiclassing you want to have available to you.

I like it. And yeah, she was very much a supportive leader type, clearly respected by everyone else, right up to the last episode when she put the hurt on a squadron of Imperials chasing after the Mandelorian and Child.

Celaeno
2020-05-21, 09:36 PM
I was thinking elf or dwarf for the race if you pick armorer

I had debated high elf to pick up booming blade, especially if I went a forge cleric build. Plus, I already have an awesome female elven blacksmith mini that would work with it :)

Zayol
2020-05-22, 03:37 AM
Mandalorians are Warrior's through and through, they follow a creed, a set of rules, not a god. They are students of War. For this reason I would pick Artificer Armorer over Cleric.

Mandalorian's wear Power armor, armor which is enhanced by advanced tech. So I find this class to be perfect for this. Infusions are your armors upgrades, go all the way to lvl 15 in this to get the most out of your armor.

At lvl 3 when you get your armor you also get a special weapon depending the model you take, maybe ask your DM if you could use a warhammer or such for the weapon. I see no problem in using INT over STR or DEX for dmg and attack rolls, there is no problem in fighting intelligently, knowing where to hit your enemy to cause the most dmg, just like you know where to hit when tempering metal.

While lvling up as Armorer I would pick the guardian armor model. Defensive shield giving you temp HP, later you can Infuse each part of your power armor how you see fit, (increasing AC, winged boots for flight maybe refluff this to a backpack to simulate the jetpacks and many other neat things)

LvL 15 upgrading your armor once again, taking guardian letting you pull enemies towards you then smashing them in the face.

From here on you have free reign, I would probably take some fighter lvls, get a stance maybe defensive for more ac, or great weapon fighting if you want to use a 2 handed hammer or yet again two weapon fighting if you want to weild 2 warhammers. The choice is yours, getting lvl 2 in fighter granting you action surge which is always great, you could go 3 lvls also to get an archtype, battlemaster granting you superiority dice, champion giving you better crit range ( this can be huge if you go High Elf, get yourself elven accuracy for crit fishing).

Going 17 Armorer / 3 fighter(which ever archetype tickles your fancy) grants you a fifth lvl spell slot, +6 proficiency bonus, you have 10 infusions known, can have 5 infused items at a time, and can have up to 5 attuned magical items on you instead of 3.

with 3 lvls in fighter you know a fighting style, get second wind, Action surge and the 1st ability of which ever Archetype you decide on taking.

If you also go High Elf you get to pick a cantrip, such as booming blade. Focus on Int and Con for main stats, having heavy armor can let you dump dex, maybe have a decent str for your first 2 lvls and carry capacity.

No praying to a god, or some higher being, just a creed... This is the way.

hamlet
2020-05-22, 05:12 AM
Zayol: I look at it as a cleric of an ideal (i.e., "This is the way.") rather than an ideal. Plus, I honestly don't like the armorer artificer subclass. It's just . . . over the top IMO. The Mandalorian's armor isn't full of wacky powers like that, just really good armor. He also happens to carry a few really decent weapons. But, I suppose you could refluff it all.

Zayol
2020-05-22, 05:48 AM
Zayol: I look at it as a cleric of an ideal (i.e., "This is the way.") rather than an ideal. Plus, I honestly don't like the armorer artificer subclass. It's just . . . over the top IMO. The Mandalorian's armor isn't full of wacky powers like that, just really good armor. He also happens to carry a few really decent weapons. But, I suppose you could refluff it all.

Your allowed not to like it, but original poster wanted A Mandalorian Forger, so I gave what I thought was the closest thing to it.

*The Mandalorian's armor isn't full of wacky powers like that, just really good armor.*

It's not just really good armor, it's the best armor. Made of beskar and durasteel alloy. Strong enough to repel blasterfire and lightsaber strikes. So not just any full plate will cut it, I like the armorer class because yes it does just that, it makes it the best.

And it isnt just whacky powers, all infusions used on your own armor can be explained and refluffed. Considering in the star wars universe armors such as power armor that increase the wearers strength and agility exist. You just have to use the infusions that increase AC and resistance.

Mandalorian helmets arnt just for show either, they have scanners integrated, trackers, life detection etc, many infusions could work here also, anything the poster wants really.

Want the mandalorian jetpack? Refluff replicate magic item winged boots as a jetpack.

The lvl 15 ability to pull enemies towards you? Refluff it to the user using a whip cord thrower. The same thing that Boba Fett uses on Luke in Return of the Jedi.

The forger strengthens her allies? Use the infusions on them.

You point out that the forgers armor doesnt have all these *whacky* powers but refluffed she does... what she does not have are cleric powers. Which can be considered just as whacky, she isnt a jedi. She's the forger. This is the way.

GearsX
2020-05-22, 06:41 AM
Your allowed not to like it, but original poster wanted A Mandalorian Forger, so I gave what I thought was the closest thing to it.

*The Mandalorian's armor isn't full of wacky powers like that, just really good armor.*

It's not just really good armor, it's the best armor. Made of beskar and durasteel alloy. Strong enough to repel blasterfire and lightsaber strikes. So not just any full plate will cut it, I like the armorer class because yes it does just that, it makes it the best.

And it isnt just whacky powers, all infusions used on your own armor can be explained and refluffed. Considering in the star wars universe armors such as power armor that increase the wearers strength and agility exist. You just have to use the infusions that increase AC and resistance.

Mandalorian helmets arnt just for show either, they have scanners integrated, trackers, life detection etc, many infusions could work here also, anything the poster wants really.

Want the mandalorian jetpack? Refluff replicate magic item winged boots as a jetpack.

The lvl 15 ability to pull enemies towards you? Refluff it to the user using a whip cord thrower. The same thing that Boba Fett uses on Luke in Return of the Jedi.

You point out that the forgers armor doesnt have all these *whacky* powers but refluffed she does... what she does not have are cleric powers. Which can be considered just as whacky, she isnt a jedi. She's the forger. This is the way.

Makes slot of sense, the artificer and armorer spells could easily be refluffed also, things like magic missile could be those little missiles the armorer crafts The mandalorian with the left over beskar.

The fire bolt cantrip can be "shot" out of your wrist considering your armor is your spellcasting focus like the flamethrowers they use.

Things like shield spell or fire resistance and such could easily be generated by shield generators.

Even Mending could be used to repair your armor and such could be refluffed as little repair droids.

Huh I might wanna try this out myself sometime.

This is the way.

jaappleton
2020-05-22, 08:57 AM
Why hobgoblin? Nothing against the idea, just curious at the reasoning. :)

Also curious on the armorer artificer choice too. My reading of it was more like an Ironman in D&D, but that's just what first popped in my head.

Hobgoblin: Mandalorian are a very proud race of people. Hobgoblin’s racial ability, saving face, replicates that quite a bit. Can’t fail, especially in the presence of others. Additionally, Armorers do NOT get proficiency in any martial weapons, and Hobgoblin gets you proficiency in two.

Armorer’s power armor innately gives you two unique weapons, the thunder gauntlet and the lightning cannon thing. The Lightning aspect is excellent to replicate a blaster rifle, because although she never really used one in the show, she undoubtedly knows HOW to use one. And while the thunder gauntlets are not exactly in her arsenal, warhammers and mauls absolutely are.

Nothing about the Armorer subclass means you can’t use a standard weapon with it. In fact, nothing prevents you from staying in Infiltrator mode to have access to the Lightning rifle and wield the Warhammer for when enemies close in. In FACT, the Lightning rifle explicitly states it can be produced from something IN the armor. Like a shoulder mounted cannon. If it can eminate from a gem, you can flavor it as a shoulder cannon. What’s that mean? You could argue you don’t need to pull the trigger to activate it. Meaning Warhammer and shield all day, and still able to blast with the Lightning ability.

Why the Armorer Subclass? The Armorer herself outfitted her allies with new weaponry and abilities. That’s what she was there for. The Artificer is LITERALLY this. Jet pack? Boots of flying. Upgraded weapon? +1 weapon. It’s what they do.

Celaeno
2020-05-22, 09:25 AM

Thank you for giving me a different way of looking at the Armorer Artificer. As I mentioned before, I had been thinking of it more like Iron Man, but your view on it really helps to give me another approach to it, and flavor-wise, makes more sense to me than the battle smith, which while a good class, I wasn't wild about the defender pet. Like hamlet, I was looking at the forge cleric possibility like an ideal cleric with faith in the creed and clan, instead of a god-worshiping approach as well. The campaign setting is still fantasy realm with magic over a sci-fi setting, so spells aren't an issue, but still, I really like your reasoning on the armorer class. Definitely more to think about, so thank you both! :)

**EDIT**

Thinking about this some more, what background would you recommend? Soldier or Alcolyte (the Creed) seemed most likely, but wasn't sure if there were others that stood out as a good fit (possibly refluffed). Our DM also lets us mix and match with the background features so long as they make sense for the background story and aren't just 'I'm picking the most powerful things because' choices.

Celaeno
2020-05-22, 09:28 AM
Hobgoblin: Mandalorian are a very proud race of people. Hobgoblin’s racial ability, saving face, replicates that quite a bit. Can’t fail, especially in the presence of others. Additionally, Armorers do NOT get proficiency in any martial weapons, and Hobgoblin gets you proficiency in two.

Armorer’s power armor innately gives you two unique weapons, the thunder gauntlet and the lightning cannon thing. The Lightning aspect is excellent to replicate a blaster rifle, because although she never really used one in the show, she undoubtedly knows HOW to use one. And while the thunder gauntlets are not exactly in her arsenal, warhammers and mauls absolutely are.

Nothing about the Armorer subclass means you can’t use a standard weapon with it. In fact, nothing prevents you from staying in Infiltrator mode to have access to the Lightning rifle and wield the Warhammer for when enemies close in. In FACT, the Lightning rifle explicitly states it can be produced from something IN the armor. Like a shoulder mounted cannon. If it can eminate from a gem, you can flavor it as a shoulder cannon. What’s that mean? You could argue you don’t need to pull the trigger to activate it. Meaning Warhammer and shield all day, and still able to blast with the Lightning ability.

Why the Armorer Subclass? The Armorer herself outfitted her allies with new weaponry and abilities. That’s what she was there for. The Artificer is LITERALLY this. Jet pack? Boots of flying. Upgraded weapon? +1 weapon. It’s what they do.

Ah! For some reason I had completely overlooked the racial ability when I glanced over it. Thank you, that makes sense.

jaappleton
2020-05-22, 10:21 AM
Hey, OP, watch out in the ‘multiple replies in a row’ rule on the forums.

I myself am guilty of breaking that rule more often than I should be, and it’s one that’s enforced.

There are ways to quote multiple responses in a single post, to address each one.

(That I still have to learn how to do XD )

Celaeno
2020-05-22, 11:55 AM
Hey, OP, watch out in the ‘multiple replies in a row’ rule on the forums.

I myself am guilty of breaking that rule more often than I should be, and it’s one that’s enforced.

There are ways to quote multiple responses in a single post, to address each one.

(That I still have to learn how to do XD )

Thank you for pointing that one out to me, I overlooked that when I was reading through the posting rules. I just started on the forums a week or so ago and still trying to learn the tools and processes, and really appreciate the feedback I've received. I removed one of my posts and edited another to cut back on the double posts. :)

Lupine
2020-05-22, 12:11 PM
Mandalorians are Warrior's through and through, they follow a creed, a set of rules, not a god. They are students of War. For this reason I would pick Artificer Armorer over Cleric.

Emphasis mine. I don’t know if there are any good oaths for this, but that sounds like a Paladin, to me.

Zayol
2020-05-23, 11:40 PM
Thank you for giving me a different way of looking at the Armorer Artificer. As I mentioned before, I had been thinking of it more like Iron Man, but your view on it really helps to give me another approach to it, and flavor-wise, makes more sense to me than the battle smith, which while a good class, I wasn't wild about the defender pet. Like hamlet, I was looking at the forge cleric possibility like an ideal cleric with faith in the creed and clan, instead of a god-worshiping approach as well. The campaign setting is still fantasy realm with magic over a sci-fi setting, so spells aren't an issue, but still, I really like your reasoning on the armorer class. Definitely more to think about, so thank you both! :)

**EDIT**

Thinking about this some more, what background would you recommend? Soldier or Alcolyte (the Creed) seemed most likely, but wasn't sure if there were others that stood out as a good fit (possibly refluffed). Our DM also lets us mix and match with the background features so long as they make sense for the background story and aren't just 'I'm picking the most powerful things because' choices.

Hey no prob! That's what this forum is for! As for the background anything can go really, since they seem to have gone in the show a route that being a mandalorian is following the creed more then being an actual Race, anyone can be adopted into it.

You could have been a soldier who found the creed and now defends it with all his abilities, same as acolyte, you could have joined or been raised following it all your life. Whatever suits your character really.

Like many people have also mentioned, paladin really suits the whole follower of a creed style. Paladin multiclass could be interesting though paladin mc's other then in sorc or warlock is pretty MAD

Celaeno
2020-05-24, 01:19 AM
Hey no prob! That's what this forum is for! As for the background anything can go really, since they seem to have gone in the show a route that being a mandalorian is following the creed more then being an actual Race, anyone can be adopted into it.

You could have been a soldier who found the creed and now defends it with all his abilities, same as acolyte, you could have joined or been raised following it all your life. Whatever suits your character really.

Like many people have also mentioned, paladin really suits the whole follower of a creed style. Paladin multiclass could be interesting though paladin mc's other then in sorc or warlock is pretty MAD

I thought about Paladin, especially with the creed thing and reworking the oath to be appropriate, and with the rolled stats of 14,12,15,16,18 and 13, MAD isn't quite as much of a hindrance. Paladin/Armorer Artificer could be interesting...

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-24, 11:31 AM
Forge cleric/devotian paladin with adamantium* armour.
See if you can pull it off.

*beskar