PDA

View Full Version : Deffinitions of hard core

Vulgosh
2007-10-26, 12:49 PM
What do you think the requirments are for a character to be labled hard core are.

Artanis
2007-10-26, 06:10 PM
In...what, exactly?

Pyro
2007-10-26, 08:54 PM
Why in books of course!

*drifts off imagining nerds discussing "hardcore fantasy novels*

Setra
2007-10-26, 10:29 PM
Well I'd imagine the planet-characters of Earthsong are 'hard core', after all I'm fairly sure it's made of iron or some other solid.

Om
2007-10-27, 05:41 AM
In my experience you'd have to be drunk

Winterwind
2007-10-27, 09:03 AM
Exhibiting traits or interests at a degree far surpassing that of most people in the given area.

That could lead to some monster of extraordinary cruelty to be labeled as "hard core" for that reason, but it allows for a far more general usage of the term.

For instance, a friend of mine practically lives for StarCraft. He spends hours daily watching replays of all good players, both German and international. He has dozens, if not hundreds of gigabyte worth of videos showing the games of Korean progamers, and he has watched all of them, several times probably. He works as game commentator and reporter in the German StarCraft community. I have no idea how many hours he spends playing the game. This is what I would consider "hard core", too, for example.

Riffington
2007-10-27, 10:05 AM
You have to hold a concert, and one of your pet bands must summon Satan himself. If he is suitably amused, he may label you Hard Core.

Zakama
2007-10-27, 10:09 AM
They have to shut up.

No, really!

At scout camp one night, my friend was reading a book, and in that book there was a language. In that language, cor means shut up. My other friend and I were talking while he was reading. "Cor" says friend 1. We keep talking "Cor!" keep talking. "Hard cor!" and we all start laughing.

I just had to say this when I saw the thread.

Crow
2007-10-27, 10:14 AM
They have to leap from the back of a speeding pickup truck onto the hood of a pursuing police vehicle, punch through the windshield, grab the cop by the neck and snap it.

Then survive the crash afterwards...

Green Bean
2007-10-27, 10:26 AM
Hard core usually implies an obsession of some sort. The character focuses in on his struggle so much that he simply doesn't have anything else. The 'core' of their being is uniform. This gives them incredible inner strength related to their cause. Take Batman, for example. His obsession is fighting crime/evil. He simply can't stop doing it, no matter how much he gets beat around, or tortured physically and emotionally, or how many sidekicks he loses. That's his strength; the struggle is part of him.

Tengu
2007-10-27, 12:23 PM
If you play WoW, then the definition of hardcore is this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5186563466223125083&q=pvp+as+a+resto+druid&total=93&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0).

2007-10-28, 04:34 PM
You have to hold a concert, and one of your pet bands must summon Satan himself. If he is suitably amused, he may label you Hard Core.

Winner.

textexext

DivineBriliance
2007-10-28, 07:00 PM
Those rather silly definitions are pretty funny but heres a bit more serious definition:

You like gaming in general alot!

You're good at games in general, or in one game(but in that game you have to be at least quasi-deity like)

all you do is play video games or just 1 game, eat while playing it, sleep but very little, school if you can multi task if you cant then no.

thats hardcore but you dot have to be hardcore to be good, i beat hardcore gamers and I'm in between hardcore and causal

if you eat, sleep, live video games, and are above average your hardcore.

(Ps: some hardcore gamers are scary, some are awesome)

(Pss: People who don't play video games much might think you're weird if your hardcore, sometimes even if you play above average)

Volug
2007-10-28, 08:50 PM
Those rather silly definitions are pretty funny but heres a bit more serious definition:

You're good at games in general, or in one game(but in that game you have to be at least quasi-deity like)

all you do is play video games or just 1 game, eat while playing it, sleep but very little, school if you can multi task if you cant then no.

thats hardcore but you dot have to be hardcore to be good, i beat hardcore gamers and I'm in between hardcore and causal

(Pss: People who don't play video games much might think you're weird if your hardcore, sometimes even if you play above average)

It's EXTREEEEEEEME!!!! To da max yo!:smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

hyperfreak497
2007-10-28, 09:08 PM

I'm not sure if the OP was talking about just gamer hardcore, but there are other definitions (like Chuck Norris hardcore or something to that effect).

I personally think that hardcore is just being obsessed with something to an almost unhealthy point and/or being almost ludricously (sp) good at that particular thing. For example, Alex Rodriguez is hardcore at baseball. Bruce Li was hardcore at martial arts. My mom is [I]hardcore[I] obsessed with gardening (much less used example).

TheEmerged
2007-10-28, 11:37 PM
RE: WoW/Hard Core. If you play more than 36 hours a week, IMO it ought to penalize your character. I understand a rule akin to this was briefly enforced during beta...

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-10-29, 12:07 AM
for a character in any game system...one defines hardcore in many different ways. The main commonplace is that a character or player who is hardcore displays unusual skill and can triumph in just about any situation or takes on challenges above and beyond what is 'normal' even among the elite and still finds a way to prevail.

The naked troll project is a character in wow that could be called 'Hardcore'...to get to 70 with no gear other than your weapon is just ballsy to the extreme...beyond what any 'normal' player would ever try and do, or what any challenge driven player would try and do. It is just insane.

Thos ewho are hardcore play on the most difficult settings and then try and find ways to handicap themselves and still pwn not only n00bz...but teh 1337 as well. My buddy is one such hardcore gamer when it comes to flying sims...when X-wing Vs. Tie fighter came out, he played online 16 man furball in an asteroid field...everyone took tie defenders, tie advanced, x wings and a wings...he took a regular tie fighter. No missles...no beams...no shields...no tricks...and no sound either...instead he blasted White Zombie and racked up kills that were impossible only dying when he got rammed by enemy ships, and that only happened 2-4 times per session...While there were plenty of elite pilots in advanced craft...noone would ever fly a tie fighter against that...except him. Now that is hardcore...

DnD style...hardcore is someone who decides he is gonna play a straight up fighter in a high magic campaign and as a matter of principal never use any magic gear without taking any vow of poverty or what-have-you...and doesn't take any prestige classes either. Someone who understands the system and tactics wel enough to pull that sort of thing off while still being useful to a party and not a hinderance without god gear is definately hardcore.

White wolf style...A mortal NPC...5's in some areas, but not all...alot of 4's...no magical weaponry, no spiffy superarmor...just a bunch of household items or things that one can rig together and/or purchase at walmart...alone he took out an entire pack of werewolves. Later, he eluded 3 packs in a building while nearly killing 4 shifters and dropped a building on them as well...he got away clean too. The bastard...now that guy was hardcore...(the ST wasn't yanking our chain either, or fudging dice...he was just REALLY creative with that one mortal...the bastard)

Basically...be better than the best, while in the most difficult situations, while purposely not min maxing to be mechanically better...to be so skillful/creative/whatever that you outperform everyone even while handicapped.

Tengu
2007-10-29, 11:31 AM
The naked troll project is a character in wow that could be called 'Hardcore'...to get to 70 with no gear other than your weapon is just ballsy to the extreme...beyond what any 'normal' player would ever try and do, or what any challenge driven player would try and do. It is just insane.

He used no weapon, either. Just amulet, rings and trinkets.

Vulgosh
2007-10-29, 12:02 PM
In...what, exactly?

Basically anything with characters.

Prophaniti
2007-10-29, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Juan

He used no weapon, either. Just amulet, rings and trinkets.

I did this. Just use a mage or priest or 'lock. I wore only a tabard and a simple leather belt (because the tabard looks dumb without one) and had no trouble. Now, doing it with a warrior... that might actually be challenging.

Artanis
2007-10-29, 03:13 PM
Basically anything with characters.
The problem is that "hard core" has different definitions depending on the context. A character might be "hard core" if he is, as others have said, committed to the point of obsession with something. However, when discussing games and/or gamers, "hard core" is usually used with whatever definition supports a person's argument - just witness the "hard core vs. casual" debates on the WoW boards, for example.

lacesmcawesome
2007-11-04, 04:43 PM
If they have an iron center, they'd be hardcore.

[or some other variation of rock and/or metal]

But seriously. I think that to be "hardcore" the character would have to like, be able to wield triple flaming longsword-chucks, and still be able to play a great battle song on every orchestra instrument simultaneously.

[yea, that's right.]

Old_Man
2007-11-09, 11:46 AM
If they have an iron center, they'd be hardcore.

[or some other variation of rock and/or metal]

Corundum or diamond would be better, but ultrahard fullerite would be really hard core.