PDA

View Full Version : good name for a dragon.

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-21, 10:23 AM
there is a dragon.
a black dragon.
i have no idea what it's name is.
help.
please.

NorthernPhoenix
2020-05-21, 10:29 AM
This is very setting dependent, but generally Dragons in DnD usually have a "english" (or whatever language you play in) name given to them by humans/mortals like "Emberwyrm" or "Deathwing", and so on, and a "true" name in whatever the language of the dragons sounds like in your setting, like Parthunax or Neltharion.

Specter
2020-05-21, 10:30 AM
The silver dragon in Curse of Strahd is named Argynvostholt. That was primarily based in 'Argentum', which means 'silver'. If the dragon is black, think of something involving 'Necri' or 'Umbra' and add some cool syllables and you're good to go.

J-H
2020-05-21, 10:30 AM
https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/dragon_names.php

elyktsorb
2020-05-21, 10:34 AM
Dargon is his name.

Garfunion
2020-05-21, 11:09 AM
I like the name Bob.

Lupine
2020-05-21, 11:23 AM
Whenever I need help making a realistic sounding name for a creature, I pick a language that I've confident that none of my players know, and use Google Translate to take an english word and translate it into said language.

My typical picks are Scottish Gaelic (or irish), or Norweigian. Occasionally, I'll use Old English or old norse, if the others don't work, but these aren't on Google Translate, and take additional work to find
In any case, I will take the obvious word for a black dragon: Shadow. Here are the top translations resulting from it.
Norwegian: Skygge
Scottish Gaelic: Sgàil (No, I don't know how to pronounce that.)
Irish: Scáth (Again, don't ask. I'll often drop the accent.)

The old English translator yielded: Forescýwa

Any one of these would work for a dragon name.
I would advise against having a common and "true" name that are different.
If the Dragon wants you to call it anything name, it will want you to call it "master"

DragonBaneDM
2020-05-21, 11:37 PM
I'm giving all of my dragons in my current campaign these names:

Skycrag
Praxis
Feln
Elysia
Combrei
Hooru
Xenan
Argen
Stonescar
Rakano

They're from a TCG game I play!

Sigreid
2020-05-22, 12:16 AM
Bob. Because it's all his parents could spell. Hehhe

Nifft
2020-05-22, 12:42 AM
- Mittens

- Mr. Growly

- S'morgh

- The Princess (... which fools many Divination spells, resulting in free meal delivery)

Trask
2020-05-22, 12:55 AM
Theres usually theres some kind of play with words associated with the color or the substance of his breath attack. Naming him something like "Darkwing" might be a bit on the nose and boring, but theres nothing wrong with directness sometimes.

If you wanted to go for something a little more poetic, I think a good example is the dragon from the "Dragon of Icespire Peak" that just came out. Hes a white dragon and his name is "Cryovain". Cyro as in the greek prefix that means "cold", like "cryotherapy", and "vain" which is a good, plain english word that perfectly describes a dragon.

So if we were going for a black dragon, i might do something like "Umbrafex". "Umbra" as in shadowy and "fex" from Latin "Pontifex", meaning something like "maker" but whats really important is the feel of a word, as opposed to what it actually means. It inspires power and authority of an almost religious kind, not bad for a dragon.

What I did above is really not that different from simple "Darkwing" but it has a bit more artistry that I think a dragon deserves :smallsmile:

Arkhios
2020-05-22, 01:01 AM
Dargon is his name.

Spin it up a bit: Nograd

N7Paladin
2020-05-22, 01:57 AM
- Osalith
- Tenebrique
- Ignolith
- Hrsacramet

😶

N7Paladin
2020-05-22, 01:58 AM

I like that a lot. I usually do that with my PCs and my name or the name of someone else.

BurgerBeast
2020-05-22, 02:17 AM
Agammetor
Belloraxis
Gurgathessylar
Ivarethion
Veltrigarnallaximon
Xenytharilax

For the English name, take a mash up of any of the following (and add your own):

Black, Breath, Claw, Dark, Dread, Fang, Flight, Night, Scale, Scream, Spine, Terror, Wing

Examples: Terrorspine, Blackfang.

Arkhios
2020-05-22, 02:40 AM
I like that a lot. I usually do that with my PCs and my name or the name of someone else.

It certainly has some nostalgic flair, to say the least.

Just to name a few Oldies but Goldies:

Tenser (Ernest)
Drawmij (Jim Ward)
Snilloc (Collins)
Zagyg (formerly known as Zagig Yragerne; flip and rearrange and you'll see the "Erne Gary Gigaz" in there)

Another one, if you want a bit more exotic sounding name: Emraeaekihol (Lohikäärme flipped around with an anglicized ä to ae. Lohikäärme means dragon in finnish)

Alternatively, you could just make an anagram, such as Gorgoldand (Gold Dragon), as used in some very old web enhancement to 3e Dragon Magazine.

Black Dragon could become, for example, Drongbarlack.

MrStabby
2020-05-22, 07:05 AM
Arcanothrax

Therodoxis

Megdamenon

Puff

Kaimon-Sul

Shaalbaat

Tamabar

Truvamenon

Rover

Baal-Thrassus

Muffins

Democratus
2020-05-22, 07:46 AM
If the dragon is old and super impressive, he should have many names based on his reputation.

Pithoxsos: Tide of Darkness, Scourge of the Shadow Fen, The Shadow that Flies, Bane of the Order of Aster, Ender of the line of western kings, The Living Blight, Silencer of the Silver Voice...

You know, things like that. :)

Not only does the name sound impressive, but it adds whole new things to your campaign world that the characters might want to know about. What's the Order of Aster? The Silver Voice? Does the dragon have a lair (and therefore a horde) in the Shadow Fen?

The names can be used to frighten others or to flatter the dragon itself.

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-22, 10:06 AM

sounds like he got held back a grade!

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-22, 10:08 AM
i think i'm going with Beresad, but i'd like a title for him. ideas?

hamishspence
2020-05-22, 10:12 AM
If the dragon is old and super impressive, he should have many names based on his reputation.

Pithoxsos: Tide of Darkness, Scourge of the Shadow Fen, The Shadow that Flies, Bane of the Order of Aster, Ender of the line of western kings, The Living Blight, Silencer of the Silver Voice...

You know, things like that. :)

Hephaestus in the Drizzt books had something like that:

"Hephaestus, Destroyer of Cockleby, Devourer of Ten Thousand Cattle, He Who Crushed Angalander the Stupid Silver, He Who…"

(going on for several minutes).

Apparently his true name is Velcuthimmorhar.

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-22, 12:32 PM
Beresad the vain.
thanks guys!

BurgerBeast
2020-05-23, 12:32 AM
Beresad the vain.
thanks guys!

I’m trying to figure out if you went with an anagram but all I’m coming up with is “sad beer.”

Phase 1
2020-05-23, 11:51 AM
Pick a brand name medicine then change a few letters. :P

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-23, 04:23 PM
I’m trying to figure out if you went with an anagram but all I’m coming up with is “sad beer.”
Now I see it, but, alas, it is too late...
It has been encountered and one of the players noticed that and they can't take the dragon seriously now.

FabulousFizban
2020-05-24, 03:38 AM
Chrysophylax Dives (Latin for Rich Gold Guard)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_Giles_of_Ham

Jerrykhor
2020-05-27, 10:32 PM
Nico Nico the dragon.

Kobold_paladin?
2020-05-28, 11:37 AM
Nico Nico the dragon.

...?
Is that a reference to something I don't get?

Redwood0517
2021-05-04, 04:47 AM
Kim, Candle, Emerald It is easy :mad:

Sandeman
2021-05-04, 05:57 AM
Maybe something that is based around "umbra", like
Umbraxil

Lord Vukodlak
2021-05-04, 05:58 AM
I once had a Lizardman character from a tribe that worshiped a Black Dragon named Zepth'thar'alax... until they ate him funny story there but not really relevant to the dragons name.

Pandamonium
2021-05-04, 06:54 AM
Atrophinax the herald of decay!

All good dragon names have en epithet/title.

Kol Korran
2021-05-04, 07:22 AM
Kim, Candle, Emerald It is easy :mad:

Redwood... The thread is from May 2020... It's nearly a year old.
Please, check the dates of threads before you respond to them.
Same goes to the people who followed this.
Let this stop here.

Thank you.

elyktsorb
2021-05-04, 07:22 AM
Bob, there's always room for a Bob.

Redwood0517
2021-05-04, 08:59 AM
Redwood... The thread is from May 2020... It's nearly a year old.
Please, check the dates of threads before you respond to them.
Same goes to the people who followed this.
Let this stop here.

Thank you.Sorry, did not notice. Will be more careful. :cool: