PDA

View Full Version : Biggest mimic?

Buufreak
2020-05-21, 12:29 PM
What is the largest canonical mimic to ever exist? It can be barely mentioned in some flavor text somewhere, but I'm genuinely curious.

NontheistCleric
2020-05-21, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the RAW answer to this is '150 cubic feet', since that is the limit listed in the Mimic Shape ability, and because no mimic has a 'natural' or 'default' form, they have to stay within the ability's confines.

Unless you count mimics that managed to get access to some other form of shapeshifting and use that to assume a larger form, but I doubt there exists any such mimic in official materials.

Elkad
2020-05-21, 01:19 PM
A "typical" mimic is 5x5x6. Which would be barely Large, which it is. Weight is actually over the limit for Large, and density is only 30lbs/cubic foot, roughly half of a human.

Since they advance to huge, that's a quadruple at least. Takes them to 600 cubic feet. And they get to Huge fairly quickly, with a lot of HD of advancement left.
Push them to the 16 ton limit of Huge at the same density and they will be more than 1000' cubic feet.

Doctor Despair
2020-05-21, 02:35 PM
If you're the DM, you could give a creature levels in Urban Druid to mimic a Mimic in effect, in which case you could reach gargantuan.

Urban Shape (Su): At 5th-level, an urban druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium urban creature. This ability functions identically to a druid's wild shape ability, save that the list of forms the urban druid can take is much more specialized: It is limited to creatures with the humanoid type or to any non-construct creatures from her urban companion list (see above).

An urban druid can use this ability more times per day at 6th, 7th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level. In addition, she gains the ability to take the shape of a Large creature at 8th level, a Tiny creature at n t h level, and a Huge creature at 15th level. The new form's Hit Dice can't exceed the character's urban druid level.

At 12th level, the urban druid becomes able to use urban shape to change into an object (size based on the sizes allowed by the urban shape ability), such as a door or a wagon. The urban druid gains hardness equal to the material assumed, but the urban druid cannot assume the form of an object with a hardness of more than 10. As long as the urban druid is in object form, she has no means oflocomotion or speech, but she retains awareness of her surroundings as if she were in her natural form.

At 16th level, an urban druid becomes able to use urban shape to transform into a Small, Medium, Large, or Huge animated object once per day. These construct forms are in addition to her normal urban shape usage. In addition to the normal effects of urban shape, the urban druid also gains all of the animated object's extraordinary special attacks and special qualities, including any defenses gained from the construct type. Her type changes to construct for the duration of the animated object form. A druid who becomes an animated object has no Constitution score for as long as he remains an animated object. The urban druid gains bonus hit points based on his size while an animated object, as usual for a construct."

At 18th level, an urban druid gains the ability to assume animated object form twice per day, and at 20th level she can do so three times per day. At 20th level, she may use this ability to change into a gargantuan animated object.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-05-21, 02:41 PM
Mimics are intelligent, so they can take class levels. Give one levels in psychic warrior for expansion to increase size significantly more.

Or just give it a level in monk and enhance its unarmed strike as a +1 sizing weapon. Metalline is also a good pick, but that's irrelevant here.

daremetoidareyo
2020-05-21, 02:44 PM
Im sure that there's a planet somewhere that is secretly a mimic, waiting for the next big cosmological adventurer...

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-05-21, 02:49 PM
Im sure that there's a planet somewhere that is secretly a mimic, waiting for the next big cosmological adventurer...Well, since size categories don't go any larger than Colossal for anything but dragons, that's not out of the realm of possibility. Any mimic capable of turning into objects of Colossal size could turn into a planet, technically.

ShurikVch
2020-05-21, 03:10 PM
Magic-Infused Advanced Mimic (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/al/20041222a): CR 7; Huge aberration (shapechanger)...

If previous editions are OK, then Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One have Mimic, House Hunter of Young, Adult, and Ancient variety; Ancient is Gargantuan (there is the unofficial conversion (https://web.archive.org/web/20041205001107/http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=827))

Psyren
2020-05-21, 03:45 PM
Im sure that there's a planet somewhere that is secretly a mimic, waiting for the next big cosmological adventurer...

There is, but it's not exactly a mimic (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/geniusLoci.htm)

Buufreak
2020-05-21, 03:57 PM
Magic-Infused Advanced Mimic (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/al/20041222a): CR 7; Huge aberration (shapechanger)...

If previous editions are OK, then Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One have Mimic, House Hunter of Young, Adult, and Ancient variety; Ancient is Gargantuan (there is the unofficial conversion (https://web.archive.org/web/20041205001107/http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=827))

And it advances to colossal? Perfect. My dream of an entire dungeon being inside a mimic can come true.

Edreyn
2020-05-22, 11:42 AM
I think in Planescape setting it's said that there is a mimic at the size of the moon. It hovers above Gehenna (I think. Or maybe Grey Waste). It looks as a large town, that has its own inhabitants and even goods for export. It consumes most of "visitors", but spares some of them - after all some people must survive to tell others about strangely friendly city on Lower Planes.

ShurikVch
2020-05-22, 12:08 PM
I think in Planescape setting it's said that there is a mimic at the size of the moon. It hovers above Gehenna (I think. Or maybe Grey Waste). It looks as a large town, that has its own inhabitants and even goods for export. It consumes most of "visitors", but spares some of them - after all some people must survive to tell others about strangely friendly city on Lower Planes.Found it - it's Nimicri:

Nimicri: From the slopes of Chamada, Nimicri appears as a small moon about 2,000 feet in diameter. It floats in splendid isolation above the burning mount, covered with spires, steeples, and less dramatic structures connected by a weblike network of streets. Everything is clean, the buildings are comfortable and in excellent repair, and every citizen of Nimicri is quite polite. Excellent goods of all sorts can be had at the trading post, and Nimicri is an established stop along several trading routes that crisscross the Outer Planes.
What most visitors never realize is that Nimicri - buildings, people, and all—is one vast creature that mimics a town. Sometimes Nimicri absorbs a visitor into itself completely, but other times it allows visitors to leave completely unharmed. If even a single drop of a visitor's blood spills onto any surface in the city, Nimicri is able to duplicate that visitor exactly, including memories up to the point when the blood was spilled. If a "citizen" of Nimicri is ever forcibly removed from the town, it immediately dies like a limb severed from a body.

Buufreak
2020-05-22, 12:39 PM
Found it - it's Nimicri:

Holy expletives, I love this thing. It does make me ask that if one the size of a shed would be roughly 60hd, how ridiculous would this stats be?

MR_Anderson
2020-05-22, 04:24 PM
Holy expletives, I love this thing. It does make me ask that if one the size of a shed would be roughly 60hd, how ridiculous would this stats be?

I think I remember reading somewhere that things gain HD just for increasing size at some point, but I am not sure.

If you are looking for interesting Mimics, the ones from space (Spelljammer) are actually spell casters and are much more refined creatures than their planet dwelling cousins.

Buufreak
2020-05-22, 04:43 PM
I think I remember reading somewhere that things gain HD just for increasing size at some point, but I am not sure.

If you are looking for interesting Mimics, the ones from space (Spelljammer) are actually spell casters and are much more refined creatures than their planet dwelling cousins.

... you wouldn't have a link or a friendly citation I could go looking for, would ya? I've always loved the noble mimic and want to see how deep and derp this rabbit hole goes.

Tiktakkat
2020-05-22, 04:51 PM
From 2nd ed.
Greater Mimic - 1,000 cu. ft. (Huge) 15-16 HD

House Hunter, Ancient - 30-40 ft. (Gargantuan) tall 20 HD

The Shy Tower - 30 HD House Hunter in Return to the Keep on the Borderland

MR_Anderson
2020-05-22, 05:39 PM
... you wouldn't have a link or a friendly citation I could go looking for, would ya? I've always loved the noble mimic and want to see how deep and derp this rabbit hole goes.

I do not recall where I read the additional HD thing, and for all I know it could have been only in place for garden gnome gargoyles.

NOTE: I just made up Garden Gnome Gargoyles on the spot, but I’m copyright and trademarking so all rights are reserved.

As for Spelljammer, it is all 3rd party for 3rd Edition, as they did not reprint after 2nd Edition.

http://www.spelljammer.org/sj3e/

Buufreak
2020-05-22, 06:48 PM
That'll work. I'm somewhat proficient with converting things from one edition to the next or previous, so I can start there. I'm just imagining some celestial body that is a sack of HD and Xp, waiting for something big enough to actually knock it loose or take it down.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2020-05-22, 09:13 PM
Oof, I was gonna chime in with a foggy memory of a mimic pirate ship, but I saw Nimicri, that's nuts, dunno how I forgot about that one