PDA

View Full Version : Build your own Steel Defender!

GearsX
2020-05-21, 11:53 PM
So since im in the process of building a Battle Smith build I was wondering how all of you would go about making your steel defender? What form would you make it and such? Lets be creative here! Let's hear out all the possibilites no matter how farfetched they could be!

Make a prototype Warforged Steel Defender, later give it the headband of intellect giving it enough int to start questioning its own existence!

Foxhound438
2020-05-22, 12:44 AM
Four legs attached to a single center point, sticking out like the points of a D4. Always stands on 2 or 3 legs, and "rolls" at/around enemies to kick them in rapid fashion.

Quoz
2020-05-22, 02:59 AM
I played a battlesmith briefly right after my Warforged had died. So naturally, we scrapped it for parts for my steel defender.

This was under one of the earlier versions of Warforged, with integrated tools. And of course, I had pointed out that vehicles are tools and made a Warforged that could transform into a motorcycle. This feature was too cool not to port over to my mounted gnome.

Another potential fun variants would be a bipedal mount like an ostrich or medium sized raptor.

If not going for a small mounted character, I just envision a bare bones stick figure of a prototype. Jerky movements, big head and eyes, very curious. If left unattended it will get into trouble finding and disassembling anything mechanical in its vicinity. Over time, I would give it a "speech box", several castings of magic mouth that give it a short list of phrases it can emote as it grows.

Kane0
2020-05-22, 06:24 AM
... ever watched robot wars? Because I can just imagine artificers competing with their creations just like that.

Animal or humanoid forms are fine and all but limbs and higher centres of mass add extra complications and points of failure, same reason mechs are awesome but impractical compared to tanks and similar vehicles.

Personally though, i would have a miniature drafon form, like a mechanical pseudodragon. And of course i would devise some way for it to fly and integrate tools into its tail.

GearsX
2020-05-22, 06:37 AM
... ever watched robot wars? Because I can just imagine artificers competing with their creations just like that.

Animal or humanoid forms are fine and all but limbs and higher centres of mass add extra complications and points of failure, same reason mechs are awesome but impractical compared to tanks and similar vehicles.

Personally though, i would have a miniature drafon form, like a mechanical pseudodragon. And of course i would devise some way for it to fly and integrate tools into its tail.

I'm.sure if the dm allows your SD to have infusions then you could easily make it fly by equipping it with winged boots. Theres also that infusion that let's you put tools in armor, that could work for the tail part?

FiddleForge
2020-05-22, 07:19 AM
I imagine a ball made from a mass of metal tentacles. It can roll around but stop on a dime and alter its shape to suit the action it needs to perform. Something really alien.

Misterwhisper
2020-05-22, 02:27 PM
A 4 legged version that uses 2 to strap onto my back like a backpack, the other two come out and manipulate things as needed.