PDA

View Full Version : Changeling Amputees

ChaseC311
2020-05-22, 01:55 AM
¡hola! ¿como estas?

I was wondering about how a changeling would cope with the loss of an arm. Mainly for a changeling monk Idea of mine. Would they regrow the limb? Could a prosthetic somehow coordinate with the changeling to shapeshift with it? Would that last feature only be available to changeling druids? Would there be any ways to hide such a big "tell" to a changeling? Any and all comments would be thoroughly appreciated.

Lavaeolus
2020-05-22, 02:55 AM
Fun question! I'm not aware of your shapeshift-related questions being directly addressed anywhere, so everything here's just my opinion.

Firstly, D&D settings do tend to have Clerics, healing magic, and so on. This character is gonna feel pretty silly if restoring their arm just takes a trip to the local church! So you might want to ask, why haven't they done so? Well, the spell that restores missing limbs -- Regenerate -- is a 7th-level spell. If you're looking for a reason why your changeling hasn't just healed themselves already, perhaps the spell is inaccessible for them as a result (e.g. requesting it would be too expensive, or high-level Clerics are rare in this campaign world, etc.)

Now, could a changeling just shapeshift themself up a new arm? Here's some of the relevant text:

As an action, you can change your appearance and your voice. You determine the specifics of the changes, including your coloration, hair length, and sex. You can also adjust your height and weight, but not so much that your size changes. You can make yourself appear as a member of another race, though none of your game statistics change. You can’t duplicate the appearance of a creature you’ve never seen, and you must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs that you have. Your clothing and equipment aren’t changed by this trait.

To my mind, it's pretty clear that changeling transformations are largely cosmetic: I would not let you get a new hand out of the deal. The fact you need the same basic arrangement of limbs, well, that doesn't directly address a lost arm, but I think it does support that from now on your future transformations might have to be one-armed.

Now, Eberron: Rising from the Last War does introduce a prosthetic limb item. "While the prosthetic is attached and attuned to you, it functions identically to the body part it is replacing." I think that could be useful to any adventurer down a limb, let alone a Monk, no? As DM, I would probably freely let you have a prosthetic limb in return for you missing an arm, since ultimately you're just giving up an attunement slot for no particular benefit. At some point late in the campaign, I might let you upgrade it to the Arcane Propulsion Arm -- although be aware that the Propulsion Arm is "a weapon", and this might cause some Monk complications. I'd rule in your favour, partly because I find this idea fun, but your DM might feel differently.

Could either prosthetic work with your shapeshifting? I think I'd have to consider the prosthetic limb equipment, therefore given shapeshifting's description it shouldn't be altered unless the limb has some special property to make it an exception. But maybe it does? You could argue that functioning identically to the body part it's replacing means it must, in turn, be able to shapeshift like your regular arm used to, but I'm not sure I'd allow that as DM.

So let's assume we might not allow it. Can we hide it? It is pretty conspicuous! But broadly, yes, I think we can. Gloves, long-sleeves -- not exactly a full-proof disguise, but maybe enough for our purposes. Just don't let anyone get a close look, eh? Of course, if someone does take a peek and doesn't know you, you could always just say "Yeah, I lost an arm. You got a problem with that?" This will probably work better if you're disguised as someone generic as opposed to someone they actually know.

N7Paladin
2020-05-22, 04:49 AM
I'm currently in a campaign with a player whose character is a changeling and it's so fun! I love this question.

I think the transformation or change or whatever occurs more due to genetics instead of magic. I would judge it that a changeling whose left arm had to be cut off, cannot have that arm even if the person they are appearing to be is meant to have two perfect sound arms.

IMO you need that part of the body as a changeling to physically change your appearance. So if you don't have one arm, then that's what it appears when you change into someone else.

On that note.... I wonder what if a changeling is impersonating a tiefling with wings?

Ultimately though, it's DMs rule as long as it makes sense.