PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Undermountain - Halaster's Perpetual Testing Initiative

Thalnawr
2020-05-22, 10:33 AM
So, my long-running Princes of the Apocalypse campaign is coming to an end soon and it looks like I'm going to be running the show for the next campaign. I've got a few things in mind, and I plan to let my players choose between a few different options for their next adventure getaway.

Anyhow, my favorite idea happens to be the Waterdeep - Dragon Heist into Dungeon of the Mad Mage for a few reasons. First, it's near where the players have had previous adventures so they're familiar with the area. Second, because of the shared story between myself and the other DM in the group, Waterdeep has been pretty beaten up (long story). I'm going to propose the Waterdeep campaign to my players as a way for them to help repair the damages that have been done and make Waterdeep great again. Finally, I think using Halaster like Cave Johnson from Portal 2 and Undermountain as his 'testing facility' just makes SO MUCH SENSE. I'd be surprised if no other DMs have come up with this, honestly.

So, what I'd like help from the Playground in, is developing tests for that wacky wizard to put the adventurers in Undermountain through. I've got a few ideas but Undermountain is a HUGE place and I'm not sure I have enough ideas to really make this work well. I've decided that the best places to have these tests happen is when they're moving to the next level of the dungeon. I'm also planning on replacing a large chunk of the encounters and possibly re-writing stories for the major places in the dungeon to make it mesh better with my overall Realms story that I've got going.

So, thoughts? Ideas?