PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Golems Aren't RAI

unseenmage
2020-05-22, 12:08 PM
Completely serious, no munchkin...

Zombie or even Frostfallen (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/frostfallen-creature-cr-1/) Constructs are not an exploit.
If anything it's a reverse exploit.

There are plenty of Constructs animated by negative energy.
So that's not news.

Undead are patently awful. Undead constructs are just awful squared.

It's a massive downgrade to turn a normally permanently controlled Construct into a potentially temporarily controlled undead.

Becoming undead strips off all (zombie) to half (Frostfallen) of a Constructs superpowers.
This is, as one can imagine, not the best move. A Golem minus magic immunity isnt very useful anymore.

I've been giving this some genuine thought and honestly I cant come up with any balance reasons to not allow it.

Frostfallen is it's own thing of course, and we're already playtesting it to put it through its paces.

I agree that its def not RAI and that 3.x or PF either one would've taxed a player at least one feat, PrC dip, or archetype to allow undead Constructs though.

I was Googling around looking for info on undead Constructs out of boredom and found this old gem of a thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?514531-PF-Zombie-Golems-RAW-Discussion-aka-Animate-Dead-Does-Nothing) where I'd treaded similar ground before.

We'll see if my IRL GM let's us play with this unusual toy. Might cost me a homebrewed feat. I suspect it'll be less than impressive power-wise.

Minionmancy always presents it's own challenges and action economy abuse and combat slowdown will be there regardless. I predict that what undead Constructs bring to the table wont terribly unbalance much.

Quertus
2020-05-22, 02:05 PM
So, if I read that old thread right, you got a definition of "living" as a creature that is neither construct nor undead. And you got a definition of "corpse" that included…UN-undead. And you got examples of undead that were never alive in the first place. So your conclusion is that "corpses" need not have been alive in the first place and, thus, it would be RAW-legal to create, for example, a Zombie Iron Golem?

I can just see it now, wandering about, breaking the fourth wall after it broke the other three, moaning "Planes! Planes!" :smallwink:

KillianHawkeye
2020-05-22, 02:50 PM
I still think it's a bad idea, and in most cases doesn't make sense, to allow raising constructs as undead (aside from living constructs like Warforged).

Psyren
2020-05-22, 06:53 PM
I'm not as "animated" (heh) about this topic as I was three years ago. The zombie template itself is legal to be applied to a construct, so if you find a way to do that that your table can agree with, go nuts.

ShurikVch
2020-05-22, 08:42 PM
Zombie Iron Golem
Note: Soulfused Iron Golem is legal for Juju Zombie... :xykon:

unseenmage
2020-05-23, 10:56 AM
Making this idea even LESS viable, in our games we sell Construct corpses for CR *CR *500 ÷2 for selling ÷2 for being a broken object.

Right now we've got a magnetite Golem and eight wood Golems to unload and we JUST scouted the nearest cities big enough to do so via Teleport. (the town we're in just cant handle that much cash)