PDA

View Full Version : Not understanding this MM2 warbeast update

eyebreaker7
2020-05-22, 07:08 PM
I am confused. I'm looking at the warbeast update and I'm not sure what exactly I'm reading.
The begining of the MM2 update says:

The statistics given here indicate changes to update the creatures
in the book to 3.5. They are not full stat blocks.
Monster: Type (Subtype); Space/Reach; Damage Reduction;
Skills; Feats; Level Adjustment; Notes. A — indicates no change.
Space/Reach: Each monster’s space/reach is indicated on the
table.

Skills: A complete, revised skill entry takes into consideration new skill point calculations, new synergy bonuses, and changed or deleted skills.

Feats: A complete, revised feats entry takes into consideration new feat calculations and new feats.

Level Adjustment: A level adjustment is specified here for every monster that could be an appropriate Player Character or cohort in a D&D campaign below 20th level. As in the revised Monster Manual, level adjustments are not included for monsters whose level adjustment would make them epic-level characters, as well as for creatures with an Intelligence score of 2 or less and others deemed inappropriate for use as PCs or cohorts.

Notes: Any other change required to the monster is indicated in this column. These might include a change in type (with the Beast and Shapechanger types eliminated), modified statistics due to changes in feats, adjustments to energy resistance, reminders about changed rules the monster utilizes (such as cold and fire subtypes), and, in a few cases, errata to the monster’s original entry. In addition to the information below, remember the following
general rule: If a monster has a common special attack, special quality, or subtype, refer to the glossary in the revised Monster Manual instead of the monster’s entry in its original sourcebook. Likewise, use the type definitions and properties, such as undead or construct traits, in the Monster Manual in preference to the ones in the original sourcebooks. Also use the rules for improving monsters in Chapter 4 of the Monster Manual, the information on monster
creation in Chapter 5, and the new feat definitions in Chapter 6 rather than the material in the first 21 pages of the Monster Manual II.

The MM2 update for the warbeast says:

MM2 update:
Warbeast: Animal or Vermin; 10 ft./5 ft; Listen +17, Spot +5; Alertness,
Diehard, Endurance, Improved Natural Attack (gore); LA —; Skills: A warbeast
gains skills according to its new Hit Dice. It receives a +1 racial bonus on Listen
and Spot checks. Feats: A warbeast gains a feat if its additional Hit Die qualifies
it for one.

Sorry it's kinda run together and aligned like that. I copy/pasted from the MM2 and for some reason it came out that way.

First, why does it list "Listen +17, Spot +5" when later it says they receive a +1 racial bonus to both? Is it both making it "Listen +18, Spot +6" or is that already included or is it something totally different that I'm mistaking?
2nd, It lists 4 feats that the original warbeast didn't get. Also one of them is "Improved Natural Attack (gore)"? What if the warbeast is a lizard? It doesn't have a gore. Is that feat just wasted or changed to something else or what?
"gains skills according to its new Hit Dice." & "if it's additional HD qualifies it for one." What additional HD? I think I really feel like I'm overlooking something here.

Ok fixed it a little for better viewing.
Another thing is that the original MM2 entry says it CAN'T be a vermin because it's mindless. Now it CAN be a vermin?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-22, 07:14 PM
That's an update to the sample Warbeast Rhinoceros.
The MM2 update and the DnD35_update_booklet.pdf document provide updates to the example creatures, and only sometimes to the templates themselves.

eyebreaker7
2020-05-22, 07:18 PM
Oh ok. Thanks. :)

daremetoidareyo
2020-05-22, 07:20 PM
If you copy from a pdf straight into the forum, the formatting of the text is retained. Instead, paste it into your internet browser search bar first. Then cut or copy it again for pasting into the forum. The browser will remove the formatting, and Then you can manually add line breaks in your post

liquidformat
2020-05-22, 09:02 PM
The only thing that is relevant to the actual template is 'Feats: A warbeast gains a feat if its additional Hit Die qualifies it for one.' everything else is specific to the Warbeast Rhinoceros only.

The original stated: “Warbeast” is a template that can be added to any Medium size or larger animal, beast, or vermin (referred to hereafter as the base creature). so they removed beast from there since they don't exist anymore...

It just specified specific abilities a vermin couldn't posses, I don't think that changed.

KillianHawkeye
2020-05-23, 03:45 AM
First, why does it list "Listen +17, Spot +5" when later it says they receive a +1 racial bonus to both? Is it both making it "Listen +18, Spot +6" or is that already included or is it something totally different that I'm mistaking?

To answer this in particular, the skill bonus totals in a monster's stat block already include the racial bonuses, but those bonuses are still listed at the end to help you see how the totals were arrived at. If the stat block is correct, it contains enough information to see how many ranks in each skill a monster has by removing ability modifiers, racial bonuses, synergy, bonuses from feats, and anything else that might affect them.

Psyren
2020-05-23, 01:36 PM
If you copy from a pdf straight into the forum, the formatting of the text is retained. Instead, paste it into your internet browser search bar first. Then cut or copy it again for pasting into the forum. The browser will remove the formatting, and Then you can manually add line breaks in your post

Actually, the forum itself can do this if you turn off WYSIWYG editing (toggle is in the top left of the post box). No need to paste somewhere else first.