PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making A Facsimile Of The Hunting Horn From The Monster Hunter Series

Beowulf DW
2020-05-22, 11:46 PM
Hey everyone. As the title suggests, I'm looking for ideas on how best to translate the play-style of the Hunting Horn from Monster Hunter into Pathfinder. For those of you that are wondering what the Hunter Horn is, it's basically a giant musical instrument/melee weapon that typically takes the form of a giant set of bagpipes or a bone horn that you use to bludgeon giant beasts to death while also playing uplifting songs to grant bonuses to your allies.

It's actually been a while since I did any hypothetical character building, so while I have a general idea of how to achieve something like a Hunting Horn-using character, I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to lend me their thoughts.

I figure that a Skald using a Greatclub would probably work best, though a Thundercaller Bard using a weapon proficiency feat would replicate some the sound wave attacks Monster Hunter World added.

But what do you all think? Any archetypes, feats, or particular pieces of equipment you think I should know about? Should I just steer clear of the idea?

Thanks in advance, everyone. Good to finally get back on this forum, btw.

PraxisVetli
2020-05-24, 04:18 PM
There's Snowflake Wardance in I believe Frostburn, it emphasizes 1h weapons but at least it's a start.

Otherwise Dragonfire Inspiration might be in the right direction.

Song of White Raven lets your Bard and Crusader/Warblade levels stack for Inspire Courage, and lets your Bardic Music be a swift action.
Swift Action play, womp the enemy a few times, repeat, isn't too far off.

Also, hunting horn best weapon and I'll die on this hill!

EDIT: Just saw this is PF, not 3.5.

Dr_Dinosaur
2020-05-24, 11:44 PM
I'd say it's a bludgeoning variant of the totem spear

Beowulf DW
2020-05-25, 12:38 PM
There's Snowflake Wardance in I believe Frostburn, it emphasizes 1h weapons but at least it's a start.

Otherwise Dragonfire Inspiration might be in the right direction.

Song of White Raven lets your Bard and Crusader/Warblade levels stack for Inspire Courage, and lets your Bardic Music be a swift action.
Swift Action play, womp the enemy a few times, repeat, isn't too far off.

Also, hunting horn best weapon and I'll die on this hill!

EDIT: Just saw this is PF, not 3.5.

I appreciate the advice anyway. Thank you.

I'd say it's a bludgeoning variant of the totem spear

Totem spear? Okay, I just looked it up, and that seems to fit pretty well! Thank you!

Seto
2020-05-25, 12:56 PM
Hehe, nice to see other MonHun fans. I was idly thinking of homebrewing a Khezu earlier today! Maybe you can smash it with your Hunting Horn :smallbiggrin:

Doctor Despair
2020-05-26, 06:10 PM
If you're looking for a battle-bard flavor of things, maybe consider War Chanter?