PDA

View Full Version : Phrenic template and humanoids?

eyebreaker7
2020-05-23, 04:48 AM
If I understand correctly humans, dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings, etc. are considered creatures right? Or are they just a humanoid type? Humanoids are creatures right? So I could make an elf with the Phrenic template? Assuming it doesn't already have any psionics of course.

"Creating A Phrenic Creature
“Phrenic” is an inherited template that can be added to any nonmindless creature that does not already have the psionic subtype"

DeTess
2020-05-23, 04:50 AM
That is correct. Humanoid is a type of creature, so anything that can be applied to all creatures (or a subset of all creatures that does not exclude humanoids) can be applied to humanoids.

eyebreaker7
2020-05-23, 05:38 AM
Sweet. Thanks.

eyebreaker7
2020-05-23, 09:42 AM
"Naturally Psionic
A phrenic creature gains 1 bonus power point."
"creature that does not already have the psionic subtype"

Does this mean a Phenic creature can also take a psionic class?

ZamielVanWeber
2020-05-23, 10:08 AM
Any creature that can take class levels can take levels in a psionic class, phrenic included.

Psyren
2020-05-23, 09:10 PM
So I could make an elf with the Phrenic template? Assuming it doesn't already have any psionics of course.

Strictly speaking yes you could, but keep a couple of things in mind:

1) Applying templates is the GM's purview (unless they're granted by a class etc), so you can't just choose to add one to a character you're playing without explicit approval.

2) While humanoids CAN be phrenic, the template explicitly states that this generally doesn't happen - such creatures would instead advance their psionics via a psionic class. Elves would fall into this category.

3) Even if you're allowed to do this, keep in mind the level adjustment applied by the template as well. At high levels this is easy to deal with, but at low levels you could end up much weaker than the rest of your party, when you're delaying your class features in exchange for a handful of PLAs a few times per day.

Segev
2020-05-25, 11:17 AM
There are benefits, but I feel compelled to ask: why do you want to? What problem are you trying to solve or trick do you want to exploit?