PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is there a restriction on Warcat animal companions?

SangoProduction
2020-05-23, 06:35 AM
I was browsing the list of animal companions for pathfinder, and found the Warcat, which is like the Cat, Big, except that it's got an additional 3 natural armor.

So, yes, there are plenty completely worthless animal companions that don't even have a role to play, but this just kinda seems weird. Like is there any condition you have to fulfill to unlock the Warcat? Or are big cats just completely outdated?

hamishspence
2020-05-23, 06:52 AM
It may be a baby or dwarf version of the regular warcat:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/warcat/

which is a Huge cat with armadillo-like skin, associated with orc clans.

The cite for the Animal Companion version, is an orcs-related book:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/Druid/animal-companions/#TOC-Warcat

As such, in-universe you may have to obtain them from lands dominated by orcs, if you want them.

Psyren
2020-05-23, 01:33 PM
As noted, you can't assume that animals native to specific parts of the world are available to every single druid on the planet at first level just because a website has helpfully listed them all in one place. That could very well be an incentive for your druid to either be from the land containing the animal you want, or go on a journey later in their career to obtain one.

"Completely worthless" is more than a bit hyperbolic too.

SangoProduction
2020-05-23, 04:46 PM
"Completely worthless" is more than a bit hyperbolic too.

No, there are a fair number of animal companions that, even in a vacuum don't do basically anything.

Psyren
2020-05-23, 04:50 PM
No, there are a fair number of animal companions that, even in a vacuum don't do basically anything.

A bundle of stats that is not you is always useful.

SangoProduction
2020-05-23, 04:56 PM
A bundle of stats that is not you is always useful.

Dealing a potential of 1d4-1 points of damage every 15 rounds on average is not useful. Even less useful when it can be killed in a single shot, forcing you to spend ...how many days finding a new one?

But, sure, you can have your absolutist view, and I'll have mine.

Psyren
2020-05-23, 06:41 PM
But, sure, you can have your absolutist view, and I'll have mine.

Sounds good.