PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Are there ways to increase the penalties of conditions?

SangoProduction
2020-05-24, 05:49 AM
Creatures under the effects of your demoralization increase the penalties for being shaken (but not frightened or panicked) by 1 on checks and rolls involving you, increasing by +1 for every 7 ranks of Intimidate you possess. You may not use this talent in conjunction with other items, effects, or abilities which increase the penalty of shaken.

Found this little gemling in Spheres of Power. It's odd, as it implies that there are other things which increase the penalty of shaken, which as far as I know isn't really a thing. It could just be covering its future bases, and not wanting to to just let a single demoralization involve 15 different tiny debuffs, each applied independently of each other.

But, since I am not actually versed in the billions of magical items, effects, and abilities of pathfinder, I wondered if anyone came across anything else that increased the penalty of a condition.

Aotrs Commander
2020-05-24, 07:08 AM
Found this little gemling in Spheres of Power. It's odd, as it implies that there are other things which increase the penalty of shaken, which as far as I know isn't really a thing. It could just be covering its future bases, and not wanting to to just let a single demoralization involve 15 different tiny debuffs, each applied independently of each other.

But, since I am not actually versed in the billions of magical items, effects, and abilities of pathfinder, I wondered if anyone came across anything else that increased the penalty of a condition.

Future proofing, I would expect. Something I'd do myself, since with a system like this, it's wise to not try assume that no-one else won't have a similar idea, especially when writing as a third party as thus you know that the people using it will emphatically be drawing from rules sources you have no oversight over. Better to make such instances are inherently self-contained, so that when next year, Dreamscarred or someone releases a new psionic feat or something that would stack with it and be horribly broken.

Kurald Galain
2020-05-24, 11:37 AM
They are rare but do exist, e.g. the Memorable trait.

SangoProduction
2020-05-24, 12:13 PM
They are rare but do exist, e.g. the Memorable trait.

That's a neat little trait.

TiaC
2020-05-24, 02:26 PM
The Innocent Blood (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/story-feats/innocent-blood-story) story feat doubles the shaken penalty on rolls against you as its completion benefit.

SangoProduction
2020-05-24, 02:36 PM
The Innocent Blood (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/story-feats/innocent-blood-story) story feat doubles the shaken penalty on rolls against you as its completion benefit.

Oh, and it's basically formatted in the same way. I'd probably take the bet that the spheres talent was inspired by Innocent Blood.