PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a fantasy story

leninsbeard
2020-05-24, 10:15 AM
So a few years ago, I've read a D&D fantasy story, set in a Forgotten Realms setting.

All I remember is that it had a bunch of high-level good-aligned character beating up some baddies... and one of them was a monk, who was really strong and could do various supernatural feats. There was also a scene when said monk was in combat, and his team members were talking about how awesome he and his powers were, and then decided that this totally not worth it because they'd need to practice for many years to get it, and also stop enjoying all worldly pleasures like women and alcohol.

It was probably written by Robert Salvatore, but I am not 100% sure about it.

Can you please help me remember the name of the story?

tomandtish
2020-05-24, 01:35 PM
You're looking for The Cleric Quintet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cleric_Quintet), by Salvatore.

High level would probably be books 3-5.

hamishspence
2020-05-25, 04:56 AM
You're looking for The Cleric Quintet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cleric_Quintet), by Salvatore.

The only character with Monk powers in the Cleric Quintet, is female (Danica). Maybe it's actually one in the Sellswords series? Gareth Dragonsbane had a monk compatriot, who the protagonists, Jarlaxle and Artemis, meet.

leninsbeard
2020-05-25, 01:29 PM
The only character with Monk powers in the Cleric Quintet, is female (Danica). Maybe it's actually one in the Sellswords series? Gareth Dragonsbane had a monk compatriot, who the protagonists, Jarlaxle and Artemis, meet.

Yes, that's the one :smallsmile: "Road of the Patriarch", last one in the Sellswords trilogy. Thank you!

Lvl45DM!
2020-05-28, 06:20 AM
So a few years ago, I've read a D&D fantasy story, set in a Forgotten Realms setting.

All I remember is that it had a bunch of high-level good-aligned character beating up some baddies... and one of them was a monk, who was really strong and could do various supernatural feats. There was also a scene when said monk was in combat, and his team members were talking about how awesome he and his powers were, and then decided that this totally not worth it because they'd need to practice for many years to get it, and also stop enjoying all worldly pleasures like women and alcohol.

It was probably written by Robert Salvatore, but I am not 100% sure about it.

Can you please help me remember the name of the story?

The Grey One mocks us all. But hes too tight to take a belt of drink, or lay with a woman. One has to wonder when its not worth it anymore