PDA

View Full Version : Transferring a old 3.5 Character to pathfinder

Nosta
2020-05-24, 11:36 AM
About 4 years ago . I was in a game set in a future Dystopia and I played a Noble from a family of Monster hunters . My build was Battle sorcerer / Swift Blade.

Well now where going in to a 2nd game in this world how ever we now use pathfinder and not 3.5.

What would be a good level 8 build to act as a high speed Gish ?

I was thinking blade bound Kensai but I'm not to sure

DrMartin
2020-05-24, 01:15 PM
What is the campaign expected length? or in other words, do you know what level you are going to reach?

Bladebound is really good, even if that means that you are not looking for weapons as loot - if the assumption is magic mart / sell the loot to buy the stuff that you really want then the Bladebound black blade is free money, but many campaigns handle loot differently, so you might lock yourself out of sweet "story" loot with this archetype.

Kensai loses more than it gains in my opinion - Spell Recall is key in being a prepared caster with always the right tool for the fight in front of you. Beginning at level 8 you are close to the cool critical-boosting ability, that's true, but you give up quite a bit of magical flexibility for that.

So, depending on your campaign of course, I'd personally go straight magus. But both archetypes are valid options of course, depending on your tastes. Cast Haste, Bladed Dash and Storm Step, get Hasted Assault arcana at 9th level - as a magus you have a lot of "quick dude" options.

If 3.5 is allowed and you want to stick close to the original, you could go magus 7/swiftblade 1 - or depending on how you were playing the battle sorcerer side of your old character you could also take the early access through Summoner (or Vigilante - Magical Child) 4/Swiftblade4, since they get Haste as 2nd level spell.

Edit: is spheres of power / might allowed? that would open up quite a few options for this concept