PDA

View Full Version : How would you give him these wings?

eyebreaker7
2020-05-24, 12:19 PM
Maybe a cloak of flying instead of boots? Or is there a spell I could use that I don't know about?

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Valygar_Corthala/Aeon_Calcos_SCV_zpspkmwommk.jpg

Hopefully the link works. It looks like stuff is showing up again on photobucket so here's to hope :)

Luccan
2020-05-24, 12:23 PM
Be a Half-Celestial?

Cygnia
2020-05-24, 12:40 PM
Be a lvl 17 favored soul of a good aligned deity?

InvisibleBison
2020-05-24, 12:43 PM
If he's a monstrous humanoid, he could have the winged creature template from Savage Species.

eyebreaker7
2020-05-24, 01:08 PM
How small can a monstrous humanoid be? Is it a size thing or just a creature type that can be a medium creature say around 6 feet tall? Something that could fit in a normal dungeon or cave adventure?

DeTess
2020-05-24, 01:12 PM
How small can a monstrous humanoid be? Is it a size thing or just a creature type that can be a medium creature say around 6 feet tall? Something that could fit in a normal dungeon or cave adventure?

'monstrous humanoid' is a creature type, so it doesn't have any particular size-limtiation, though iirc they do tend towards medium and larger sizes.

Doctor Despair
2020-05-24, 01:15 PM
Apply the Unseeley Fey template

Luccan
2020-05-24, 01:16 PM

There's no official size requirements for any creature type; Giants can even be smaller than Large size, if you want. Monstrous Humanoid is a creature type generally reserved for things that have a generally human shape, but are in some way, well, monstrous. It's generally not enough to have non-mammalian characteristics, though. Honestly the separation between humanoids and monstrous humanoids is pretty arbitrary at times

eyebreaker7
2020-05-24, 01:18 PM
What about the Alter Self spell? That would work right?

Blackhawk748
2020-05-24, 01:18 PM
Maybe a cloak of flying instead of boots? Or is there a spell I could use that I don't know about?

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Valygar_Corthala/Aeon_Calcos_SCV_zpspkmwommk.jpg

Hopefully the link works. It looks like stuff is showing up again on photobucket so here's to hope :)

Lizardfolk with Wings of Flying. You can even have them look exactly like that.

Also, lovely Soul Calibur pic there.

DeTess
2020-05-24, 01:25 PM
What about the Alter Self spell? That would work right?

Depends on what you want to do. Alter self is the lowest level of polymorph, so all it does is make you look like another creature with the same creature type as yourself.

Luccan
2020-05-24, 01:40 PM
Depends on what you want to do. Alter self is the lowest level of polymorph, so all it does is make you look like another creature with the same creature type as yourself.

Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement),

Emphasis mine. Alter Self would work, but it will never last for more than 3ish hours and for most the game significantly less time than that.

Edit: Although. now that I think about it and perhaps what you meant, you can't actually be that lizardman with bird wings unless that race already exists and fall within your creature type

Doctor Despair
2020-05-24, 02:14 PM
I should specify: the Unseeley Fey template can provide those wings to any creature, but at the cost of having the "Fey" type and being evil.

DrMartin
2020-05-24, 02:21 PM
be a level 6 human shifter (spheres of power) and pick as bestial traits Animal Hide, Bite, Claws, and Flight (you'll need one instance of Extra Bestial Trait feat)

ShurikVch
2020-05-24, 02:49 PM
Better variants were already mentioned , but there are some more:

Enlightened Spirit 3 (Complete Mage): Celestial Flight (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/compmage_gallery/100469.jpg) invocation - fly at land speed with good maneuverability for 24 hours

If the color of the wings isn't important, then start as Dragonfire Adept, select Li Lung (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/oa_gallery/Lung_dragons1.jpg) as your draconic ancestor, and take Dragon Wings feat (and Improved Dragon Wings - at 6th level) - it would give your PC a pair of colorful wings "like the tail feathers of a peacock"

Nifft
2020-05-24, 02:53 PM
There's a Feathered Wings graft (which is a Fiendish graft so terms and conditions may apply, check your alignment before using, etc.).

It's pretty cheap as a form of flight.

If they don't come in the color you want, wear a hat of disguise.

SangoProduction
2020-05-24, 02:54 PM
Simplest way? Take 1 level of Incanter, you have Shapeshift (Blank Form) with the Avian Form talent.
Instill Transformation to create a potion.
That you name Red Bull.
Profit.

Asmotherion
2020-05-24, 06:26 PM
Warlock->Enlightened Spirit->Celestial Flight Invocation ECL 8

Sorcerer/Wizard-> Wings of Swift Flying+Fly spell. ECL 5-6

Cleric-> Footsteps of the Divine ECL 5

Generic-> Winged Creature Template for +2 LA. Raptoran +0 LA

Dragonborn Template-> Wings Aspect +0 LA

Dragonfire Adept also has a Wings Invocation, but I don't remember the specifics.

Yogibear41
2020-05-24, 09:18 PM
There's no official size requirements for any creature type; Giants can even be smaller than Large size, if you want. Monstrous Humanoid is a creature type generally reserved for things that have a generally human shape, but are in some way, well, monstrous. It's generally not enough to have non-mammalian characteristics, though. Honestly the separation between humanoids and monstrous humanoids is pretty arbitrary at times

I don't know of a single small or smaller creature with the giant type. Even the small trolls from a dragon magazine got changed from giant to monstrous humanoid.

Doctor Despair
2020-05-24, 09:37 PM
I don't know of a single small or smaller creature with the giant type. Even the small trolls from a dragon magazine got changed from giant to monstrous humanoid.

To be fair, that doesn't mean they don't exist as a universal law; we should also recognize that presumably these creatures aren't born at full size, so would start smaller, and that gaining size wouldn't confer new types. :p

Luccan
2020-05-24, 09:47 PM

Even a medium-sized Giant seems oxymoronic and those do exist. Don't get me wrong, it seems the designers were unwilling to make anything like that (hence the additional lack of Huge-sized Humanoids, Fine-sized Dragons etc.), but there's no RAW requirement regarding creature types and size. Not like there is with undead and constructs not having a Con score.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-24, 09:55 PM
Raptoran Dragonborn is the fun option. You get the feathery wings AND are a lizard, for +0 LA.

Segev
2020-05-25, 11:13 AM
I’ll just second the “winged creature” template from Savage Species. It has a level adjustment and some stat boosts for some reason, but is probably the most straight-forward solution.

Uncle Pine
2020-05-25, 11:37 AM

Return to Nature, ECS 114.

Duration: Instantaneous
[...]
Giants subjected to this spell become smaller, as though affected by a reduce person spell (see page 269 of the Player's Handbook). A successful Fortitude save negates this effect.

ShurikVch
2020-05-25, 11:54 AM
Besides the aforementioned spells, there are also Half-Troll template (Fiend Folio) which give Giant type and isn't limited by size; and Thrall of Kostchtchie PrC (Dragon #345) at capstone gives Giant type and +1 size - thus, something Tiny or smaller would turn into "small or smaller" Giant

False God
2020-05-25, 12:45 PM

Since that's clearly a Feraligator, they'd need to hybrid with another pokemon that has wings. Articuno would be closest for that wing style.

Oh wait, wrong game.

Has he had any red bull?

No?

Well....

Flight of the Dragon? Just specify it's some dragon with bird wings? Make a custom variant of the spell "Flight of the Sphinx"(or other winged flying creature) and just change the component requirements? I mean yeah the spell by default targets "you" but I mean, if this is something the player is interested in gaining, figure out a way to let him?

Doctor Despair
2020-05-26, 02:33 PM
Since that's clearly a Feraligator, they'd need to hybrid with another pokemon that has wings. Articuno would be closest for that wing style.

Oh wait, wrong game.

Has he had any red bull?

I suppose this, in a roundabout way, encapsulates the core idea that there are 1,000,000 ways or more to grant wings and/or flight to any given creature, some for free, some with items, spells, class levels, etc, but all of which are obviated in the face of DM fiat. If the DM want him to have wings, they can just give him wings and a fly speed, and flavor it however you want. :p So ultimately, if you are a player, you should sit down and discuss these options with your DM and see what feels appropriate for the campaign.