PDA

View Full Version : Which group do you think each of these characters would work best in?

Rfkannen
2020-05-24, 04:10 PM
I was thinking about characters I would like to play (procrastinating) and I realized that since I play in two groups i should figure out which group each character is best suited for. However, since I haven't played any of these classes before I am not sure how they play, and therefore I don't know which group they would work best in. So I was hoping I could get yalls help deciding which group to play each character in!

Characters i'd like to play and the idea behind them:

Dwarf Ancestral guardian barbarian. Channel dwarf ancestor spirits sounds like fun, and also tanking.
Hexblade. Flavored like a nazgul, I like the idea of a dark cursed swordsman
Ancient paladin: Green knights are fun, I like the idea of playing a nature warden in full heavy armor.
Conquest paladin. I want to play darth vader.
Swashbuckler rogue: pirates are cool.
Druid: I like the idea of playing a snufkin type who hates rules and is nomadic
Shadow sorcerer: illusions and stuff are neat, twinning haste sounds like fun.
Dragon sorcerer: I like the idea of being a half dragon with scales who throws fireballs.
Open hand monk: I like Jackie Chan movies, punching is cool. Also I like the battlefield control part.

My groups:

Al group:

Fair amount of roleplay, but characters act mostly as a group, no time for character specific stuff
Things are supposed to go pretty quickly, not much time for things like scouting ahead
Everyone optimizes a ton, my last character was prob the weakest in the group
Fair amount of time on puzzles and traps
Mostly run hardcovers (so far descent into avernus and oracle of war) so challenges are not tailored towards the characters
Usually around level 1-15 from what ive seen?

Home group:

We sometimes go a session or 2 without combat.
Mostly roleplay
Lots of survival gameplay
Spells that can be used for exploration or quality of life have a lot of use (conjure water, druids grove, fly, ect)
Games warp a lot to the characters in it, a character can often expect to get a individual story arc about their backstory, as well as some tailored magic item.
Characters tend to not be very optimized, I often wind up being op compared to the rest of the part. Utility is often valued over damage.
Mostly homebrew, so challenges tend to be suited to the characters
Tends to play mostly low level 1-8

Any tips for which group each character would work the best in?