PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: Fill out the Unearthed Arcana survey

jaappleton
2020-05-24, 05:13 PM
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/subclasses-revisited

If you liked or disliked the latest Psionic options from Unearthed Arcana, let them know.

Like the dice mechanic?
Hate the dice mechanic?

They rely on our feedback. Let ‘em know.

Please be respectful, and don’t fill the comments section with stuff unrelated to it. Saying “SPELLJAMMER NOW!” isn’t going to help these subclasses.

And saying “All Psionics suck, keep it away from D&D” isn’t going to help anything, either.

Millstone85
2020-05-25, 07:25 AM
Thank you for the reminder. I just filled it out.

Told them I liked the dΨ but wished the player could decide whether to "burn through" or "conserve" psionic energy, as the die is supposed to represent and as would be befitting of a disciplined mind.

I also lamented the disappearance of the mystic. Yes, it "encroached on other classes' territory", but I thought it was a matter of moving some of its subclasses to other classes.

HPisBS
2020-05-25, 02:48 PM
I also lamented the disappearance of the mystic. Yes, it "encroached on other classes' territory", but I thought it was a matter of moving some of its subclasses to other classes.

The main problem I had with the Mystic was its allowing you a handful of "disciplines," each in turn granting you a handful of unique powers and one mutually exclusive passive.

It was a nightmare for character creation / planning.

Millstone85
2020-05-25, 03:54 PM
The main problem I had with the Mystic was its allowing you a handful of "disciplines," each in turn granting you a handful of unique powers and one mutually exclusive passive.

It was a nightmare for character creation / planning.I am not sure I see the problem. Did you feel constrained by the package deal?

I thought it was very flavorful. I even found it a bit too easy how "using the psychic focus of one discipline doesn’t limit your ability to use other disciplines". Nah, your current mental stance ought to determine passive buffs and available psi-point options.

HPisBS
2020-05-25, 04:06 PM
Wow, you must really like complexity. All of that just made it feel like too much work to try to get as much out of my handful of discipline options as I could.

If it was like picking individual spells, that'd be one thing. But picking sets of spells is another entirely. You might really want a discipline's passive, but not care much at all about its other powers, for example. It just felt like an overly complex and entirely unnecessary system of trade-offs.

I'd have much, much preferred to pick whichever individual powers I wanted, and then maybe had my chosen discipline and/or archetype grant additional buffs or discounts when using powers associated with that discipline / archetype.

Tanarii
2020-05-25, 05:37 PM
I told them that they were on the right track making psionics as subclasses, that is definitely the way to go. But that the Wild Talent feat was an interesting idea.