PDA

View Full Version : Help me out

Kelb_Panthera
2020-05-24, 06:13 PM
Maybe I'm crazy but I'd swear up and down that I've seen a class that has a feature whereby he can set aside an amount of gold and declare what he actually spent it on as he needs it. Like, he set aside 200 gold and then, in the course of delving a dungeon, he comes to a situation where he really needs a crowbar and so can declare that he does have a crowbar and just deduct 2gp from the 200 as he pulls the crowbar out of his bag.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Doctor Despair
2020-05-24, 06:17 PM
Sounds like a lot of people I play with...

Jokes aside, I could see that being at least T3 for its versatility. I'll report back if I can find it in my records. Do you remember the exact term it used for the wealth reserve? That would be helpful, although I suspect if you did, you'd have found it already.

Palanan
2020-05-24, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera
Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

I dimly recall some sort of ability that approximates what you're talking about, possibly halfling-specific. "Prepared adventurer" or something along those lines.

Doctor Despair
2020-05-24, 06:29 PM
Menacing Brute has something similar to this description, but not quite the same.

(Ex): At 2nd level, you become extremely resourceful at finding "discarded" pieces of equipment. Once per day, you can attempt a Search check in order to find any nonmagical item of your choice, with a maximum market price of 200 gp, without paying for it. The gold piece value of the item determines the time it takes for you to find it, as well as the minimum size of community in which it can be found (see the table below). For example, if you are searching for a wagon (35 gp), you would need to look in a small town or larger community and succeed on a DC 15 Search check after spending 2d4Ă—10 minutes searching. If you sought a breastplate (200 gp), you could find it in a metropolis by making a DC 25 Search check and spending 2d4 hours digging through alleyways, trash bins, and the like. You can never find a masterwork item or magic item of any value while using this ability.

Edit: Someone beat me to this one :p I blame mobile

Shade Hunter has another similar ability.

By 4th level, you have picked up so many knickknacks and strange tools on your travels that you've lost track of everything you own. Once per day, you can "find" any mundane piece of equipment (other than weapons or armor) worth up to 10 gp per class level somewhere on your person, having forgotten completely about it. When you do so, you must subtract an equivalent amount of gold (or other treasure – gems, jewelry, art, etc.) from your savings. If you do not have enough gold to cover the cost of the item you want, you might not find the item with this ability.

ShurikVch
2020-05-24, 06:31 PM
Shade Hunter 4+ (Champions of Ruin) - Tools of the Trade: 10 gp/class level
Menacing Brute 2 (Races of Destiny) - Resourceful Search: up to 200 gp

ZamielVanWeber
2020-05-24, 09:22 PM
There is a Wedded to History Feat that does something similar but with a 10 GP limit.

Zaq
2020-05-25, 01:09 AM
There’s also the chronicler (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/chronicler), from Pathfinder.

DrMartin
2020-05-25, 01:17 AM
Brilliant Planner is a pathfinder Feat that does that.

It is available as a Vigilante Talent as well (Always Prepared), with an extended GP cap, a shorter activation time, and from level 1.

Well-Prepared is a halfling-only feat that does something similar, as well.

Small tangent:
Note that if you are willing to go off the d20 track this is pretty much how equipment and the whole "preparing for an expedition" work in Blades in the Dark and its children games - you start by going "I have light / medium / heavy load" and during the adventure you define what constitutes that load, by declaring you have with you certain items from a list. Or you can take a bit of "damage" (stress) to enact a flashback scene, defining what your character did beforehand that is now relevant to the situation at hand, for Ocean 11-style shenanigans (Last week I dug up blackmail on this specific guard that is right now guarding this door, so yes, she will let us through without identification, of course). Makes for a really fun heist based game, as the level of danger escalates as the resource you use for getting retroactively out of trouble runs out, which mostly maps to you getting closer to the heist's goal.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-05-25, 05:19 AM
Shade Hunter was the one I was thinking of. Thanks everybody. :smallbiggrin:

Vizzerdrix
2020-05-25, 06:24 AM
You can always grab some shapesand as well.

Palanan
2020-05-25, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by DrMartin
Well-Prepared is a halfling-only feat that does something similar, as well.

Aha! I wasn't hallucinating!

Well-Prepared (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/well-prepared/) is the one I was thinking of.

Biggus
2020-05-25, 10:30 AM
Can you use it to get Bat Shark Repellent?

Doctor Despair
2020-05-26, 03:42 PM

If you're referring to Shade Hunter, and if by that you mean specifically scrolls/wands, then no, as it specifically grabs mundane things. :/ However, you can find masterwork tools for bonuses!

DrMartin
2020-05-27, 12:05 AM

yes definitely, as long as you did your prep work in a settlement where you could have acquired it.

Since you can also acquire mundane services, you could also hire people with the feat, giving you an on-demand supply of shark bait too!