PDA

View Full Version : Player Help New Character

Name2020
2020-05-24, 07:08 PM
Building a new character for a new campaign. There are 3 other dudes and they are playing; a human barbarian, a half-elf rogue, and a eladrin druid. What should I play as to not step on anyones toes to much. I normally play melee fighters, but for my last campaign I played a paladin. I actually wanted to play a Oath of Ancients paladin, but then the last guy chose druid some I'm kind of wondering if I can still play it.

MrStabby
2020-05-24, 07:18 PM
Cleric. If in doubt,always cleric.

So cleric can be a solid character - if not a dedicated front-liner it can come pretty close. With your team this is no bad thing; you are not super-delicate but someone who can step up to take a couple of hits and give the rogue a bit more by way of sneak attack options will be good.

A cleric is flexible. They are not tied to spellsand if you want to shake up what you do as your team evolves you can.

A cleric is versatile. Buffing, healing, some damage, some control... you can tick a lot of boxes.

I would go Order Cleric for the sweet synergy with a rogue in the party.

Order cleric can also take a bit of the competition out of loot the party finds. You take the heavy armour, the non-light/finesse simple weapons, probably any magic shields you find.

This should give you flexability andlet you stand in melee like you seem to enjoy

iTreeby
2020-05-24, 07:24 PM
Building a new character for a new campaign. There are 3 other dudes and they are playing; a human barbarian, a half-elf rogue, and a eladrin druid. What should I play as to not step on anyones toes to much. I normally play melee fighters, but for my last campaign I played a paladin. I actually wanted to play a Oath of Ancients paladin, but then the last guy chose druid some I'm kind of wondering if I can still play it.

One interesting thing is that it looks like you could have a party where everyone is good at stealth. Way of shadows monk, trickery domain cleric, and gloomstalker ranger, could all be excellent choices if no one is clattering around in heavy armor (and is actually proficient in stealth).

What sorcebooks are allowed at your table, is UA allowed, is bloodhunter allowed?

Name2020
2020-05-24, 07:26 PM
What sorcebooks are allowed at your table, is UA allowed, is bloodhunter allowed?

Yes all sourcebooks, UA, and Bloodhunter is allowed.

Warlush
2020-05-25, 08:13 AM
Cleric.

This is THE answer you'll get at every single table where you are the last member to join and ask "hey gang what should I play?".

"Play the cleric!"

"We need healing!"

"We've got damage covered."

"Not just healing! You can tank!"

"Is it wheel or woe?"

MrStabby
2020-05-25, 11:36 AM
This is THE answer you'll get at every single table where you are the last member to join and ask "hey gang what should I play?".

"Play the cleric!"

"We need healing!"

"We've got damage covered."

"Not just healing! You can tank!"

"Is it wheel or woe?"

Not just last to the table, but also whenever you need to fit into an unknown party. The cleric can just do so many things well with appropriate domain choice.

beargryllz
2020-05-25, 11:48 AM
Wizard, any wizard

Wizard will probably be the ideal way to round out the group no matter which school you specialize in

Between the damage from barbarian and rogue, cleric is probably redundant. The healing potential is also redundant with a druid there as well

Put the goblins to sleep and have your melee execute them one at a time. Slow them, hypnotize them, put greasy webs down. That will lead you to glory and treasure and do wonders to keeping you all alive