PDA

View Full Version : Fighter/caster

Dmdork
2020-05-24, 09:38 PM
Regarding the Eldrich Knight, what are the direct benefits of having a high intelligence, besides spell DCs?

MrStabby
2020-05-24, 10:15 PM
The usual: intelligence saves and ability checks.

Dmdork
2020-05-24, 11:32 PM
The usual: intelligence saves and ability checks.

Can I be dumb as a stump and still cast spells?

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-05-25, 12:37 AM
Can I be dumb as a stump and still cast spells?

Yes, if I will build an EK I will probably take 8(or 6 if orc) int and play him as a wizard who failed wizards school.

It works great because you can just take strong spells that have no effect from int.
Spells like shield, absurve elements and shadow blade.(my main EK spells).

Man_Over_Game
2020-05-25, 02:05 AM
Yes, if I will build an EK I will probably take 8(or 6 if orc) int and play him as a wizard who failed wizards school.

It works great because you can just take strong spells that have no effect from int.
Spells like shield, absurve elements and shadow blade.(my main EK spells).

To add on this, for the most part, spells you should pick as an EK are ones that don't have a saving throw or make an attack, which coincidentally don't use your Intelligence for anything.

Sure, you could pick up something like Firebolt, but it will only make you more versatile without making you all that much stronger (since you can't use your Fighter mechanic, "Attack", at the same time you'd use Firebolt).

SLOTHRPG95
2020-05-25, 02:20 AM
If you're playing a Str-based EK, then having a decent Int score allows you to dump Dex somewhat. You still care about Dex saves and initiative, but you don't need it for ranged attacks if you have ranged attack cantrips. Also, although this isn't unique to Eldritch Knights, you need at least 13 Int to take the Ritual Caster (Wizard) feat assuming you're playing in a game with feats. It's a thematic pick to give you more utility without expending limited spell slots or precious spells known, and since Fighters get extra ASIs, it's often easier to fit in an extra feat. But if you want to play an Eldritch Knight who happens to be "dumb as a stump," that can still turn out fine.