PDA

View Full Version : Quintessence and such

Raishoiken
2020-05-25, 04:29 AM
so is it possible to do anything to a creature submerged in quintessence, such as perform the familiar ritual on an animal for example?

Mike Miller
2020-05-25, 09:01 AM
It has been a while since I have looked into quintessence, but doesn't that take a creature out of Time? I don't think you can affect them until they are removed from the quintessence.

Psyren
2020-05-25, 04:24 PM
While it's submerged, probably not - but it's useful if you need to put someone in stasis for a while (e.g. keep a corpse fresh, party member has a fatal disease, dangerous curse, permanently mind-controlled or insane etc.) until you can get them to somebody that can help.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-05-25, 05:28 PM
It's good for keeping them in storage as part of a trap for things you can't kill (or don't want to). For example, anything that has a good chance of being resurrected by minions if you kill it, or if it's likely to become a major fiend upon death (which you'll then have to deal with repeatedly). Quintessence makes a great preservative for Sealed Evil In A CanTM.

Far as I know, only time dragons are immune to being dunked in quintessence.

Doctor Despair
2020-05-26, 12:38 PM
Far as I know, only time dragons are immune to being dunked in quintessence.

You might be able to Iron Heart Surge the quintessence effects, and I think you could use the Patience domain bonus to delay the effects of the quintessence, but the latter won't be very helpful if you're unconscious when you're put in (or unable to leave in the time delay given).

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-05-26, 12:57 PM
You might be able to Iron Heart Surge the quintessence effects, and I think you could use the Patience domain bonus to delay the effects of the quintessence, but the latter won't be very helpful if you're unconscious when you're put in (or unable to leave in the time delay given).You could Iron Heart Surge away the effects of partial quintessence exposure, but IHS won't work on full immersion because you're out of the timestream as soon as you're fully immersed.

The Patience domain works on spell effects. Quintessence is a psionically produced substance that is produced by a power, but is it considered a spell effect for that purpose? It's questionable, but possible, and it's something I wasn't aware of prior to you telling me about it. Good find, although I'm not entirely sure if it would work or not.