PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Idea for a Necromancer - Fun With Haunting, and Wearing Your Undead Army

Maerok
2007-10-26, 05:41 PM
Use haunt shift from Libris Mortis to change one of your intelligent undead into a haunting presence. Then have it 'possess' your armor or an item; you can hide your undead like this and they can manifest physically once per week per HD for one minute per HD. And if you happen to take off the item, or cast it aside in battle, it'll be animated by a properly powerful undead as an animated object(HD >10; Cha >17) and a weaker one could just move it at their base move speed ("Sword! Come to me!"). Just make sure you control the undead first. If this works, then a necromancer can carry his entire army in a few rings. And turning cannot destroy them as haunting presences unless an exorcism is performed. But haunt shift only works on undead up to 9 HD, so maybe an improved version can be researched.

Yeril
2007-10-26, 06:32 PM
I can imagine a necromancer pulling out a spear and hurling it at the party.

Fighter: HAH you missed! :smallbiggrin:
Necromancer: Did I? hmmm? :smallamused:
*spear wielding undead manifests behind the fighter*
Fighter: Why are you smiling like that? :smallconfused:

tsuyoshikentsu
2007-10-27, 01:34 AM
Alas, "Items (both magical and mundane) currently in the possession of a character (often referred to as attended items) cannot be haunted."

Revlid
2007-10-27, 11:42 AM
Alas, "Items (both magical and mundane) currently in the possession of a character (often referred to as attended items) cannot be haunted."

Aaaw...

House Rules, here come...

Maerok
2007-10-27, 11:43 AM
But they can be haunted beforehand, then put on. It gives an example that you can't kill a vampire haunting a firepoker by bringing it out into the sunlight; but picking it up, if it works like you say it would, would make it an attended object and then apparently force the spirit out since it couldn't possess an attended item. That seems unlikely. I think it was intended to save a character's items while he or she wore them; and then the ghost would have to sneak into it when they put it down.

You mean to say that a haunted object being worn by a character was something they didn't want to happen? That'd be one of the first ways I'd use it as a DM, except maybe as a necklace that chokes them.

EDIT: Ninja'd.