PDA

View Full Version : About Dimension Door's uses

waffletaco
2007-10-26, 06:24 PM
When I first read the description, I figured I could use it to teleport behind an enemy, and then attack at the same round; however, upon further inspection, it says that you cannot perform any other action after casting it, so I was wondering if there was a feat or another spell that could achieve what I originally wanted to do. Also, if/since I can't use it the way I wanted to, what other uses/benefits are there to Dimension Door?

Jasdoif
2007-10-26, 06:27 PM
Dimension Door can be a good way to escape from a grapple, since it doesn't have a somatic or material component.

Temp
2007-10-26, 06:27 PM
You can teleport... isn't that enough?

You can also weasel your squishy caster self out of grapples--that's an enormous bonus.

[edit:]My simu-ninjitsu clearly needs work.

Clementx
2007-10-26, 06:28 PM
The Sun School tactical feat out the CW lets monks make an attack after DDooring. Pretty nice, actually. Otherwise, you need to teleport 500 feet above the target, so you fall at the end of your turn, and end up right next to him for your next...provoking an AoO and then smacking into the ground. Although, a slow-falling monk can do it from 60ft and take no damage, if he can get a vertical surface.

Saph
2007-10-26, 06:31 PM
At the level you get it, a 680' teleport is usually more than enough to break contact with an enemy and get out of Dodge. It's a good "emergency evac" spell, though bringing all of your companions along can be an issue (only one per three caster levels).

- Saph

bugsysservant
2007-10-26, 08:02 PM
Bah, the Conjurer familiar replacement variant in PHB 2 lets you teleport as an immediate action. True, it doesn't have the range, but you get it at first level, and if you really want to, you can even attack afterwards.

Naihal
2007-10-26, 08:23 PM
Drop an item covered in Explosive Runes (a standard 100 page spellbook works great) in front of you, cast Dispel Ward, fail your caster check, and Celerity+DimDoor to someplace more than 10 feet away.

Lochar
2007-10-26, 08:27 PM
At the level you get it, a 680' teleport is usually more than enough to break contact with an enemy and get out of Dodge. It's a good "emergency evac" spell, though bringing all of your companions along can be an issue (only one per three caster levels).

- Saph

6th level horizon walker. Every 1d4 rounds you can dimension door as the spell, CL equal to your character level.

Now it's a transport spell, since there's no failure chance unless you specify 'XXX amount of feet forward and end up in a hill.

Darrin
2007-10-26, 08:41 PM
When I first read the description, I figured I could use it to teleport behind an enemy, and then attack at the same round; however, upon further inspection, it says that you cannot perform any other action after casting it, so I was wondering if there was a feat or another spell that could achieve what I originally wanted to do. Also, if/since I can't use it the way I wanted to, what other uses/benefits are there to Dimension Door?

Does Dimension Door work with Shadow Pounce? If so, then you'd get a full attack every time you activate a spell/ability with a [teleport] descriptor.

Telflammar Shadowlord 4 and Crinti Shadow Marauder 5 both get Shadow Pounce.

Aquillion
2007-10-26, 09:46 PM
Also, if/since I can't use it the way I wanted to, what other uses/benefits are there to Dimension Door?Too many uses to count. Others have gone over some of them, but:

You can escape from combat, and retreat to a nearby defensible location, bringing most or all of your party with you. This is its primary usage; it's basically a 'get out of jail free' card. Almost nothing can cover 600+ feet in a single round (most things would have trouble covering it in ten rounds), so if you dimension door away from combat, chances are you're safe.

You can also move party members into location, either for defensibility, or so they can take a key shot or attack (obviously, you don't want to teleport near the enemy... but grabbing your melee types and teleporting past the enemy fighters, so your barbarian can attack the enemy casters who were in the "back" before, can work quite well.)

You can teleport through walls, past locked, sealed, or trapped doors, past any sort of trap (as long as you know it's there), over dangerous terrain, past guards or monsters or anything that's unaware of you, out of sealed and locked rooms... you name it. As long as you can specify a distance and a direction within a few hundred feet, Dimension Door can take you there (and a few of your friends, too.)

Want to grab some keys or a key document from an NPC's room? Go invisible, Dimension door in when you know they're not home, grab the item, and run (bring the party rogue if you expect traps).

Psionic Dog
2007-10-26, 10:33 PM
Well if you really want to dimension door and attack you could always make something with a CL of 16+, (with at least 6 levels Horizon Walker), then snag the quickened spell-like ability feat...

Temp
2007-10-26, 10:35 PM
That's a no-go:

After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-26, 10:39 PM
Bah, the Conjurer familiar replacement variant in PHB 2 lets you teleport as an immediate action. True, it doesn't have the range, but you get it at first level, and if you really want to, you can even attack afterwards.

True, but there is a significant amount of broken inherent to that which makes it unavailable in a large amount of games.

I like Horizon Walkers with Sunschool. I believe you can qualify for Sunschool off of Exotic Weapon Master, if you don't want to lose BAB.

Monk 2 is a pretty sweet dip though. Can't say much for the rest of the class, but the first 2 levels are great.

Psionic Dog
2007-10-26, 10:50 PM
Hmmm...
I hadn't noticed that before. Well, it still works in reverse. Charge the big nasty, hit, then demension door back to safty.

Mewtarthio
2007-10-26, 10:54 PM
Hmmm...
I hadn't noticed that before. Well, it still works in reverse. Charge the big nasty, hit, then demension door back to safty.

Granted, it's only 3/day (due to Quicken SLA), but still valuable.

Note that, if you want to do the teleport/attack trick, I believe there's something in ToB for that. It's a discipline that I believe is called "Shadow Hand" with some teleportation powers you might be interested in.

Dhavaer
2007-10-26, 11:02 PM
Note that, if you want to do the teleport/attack trick, I believe there's something in ToB for that. It's a discipline that I believe is called "Shadow Hand" with some teleportation powers you might be interested in.

Shadow Jaunt, Shadow Stride, and Shadow Blink. Jaunt is no good for teleport/attacking, though, as it requires a standard action.

GeneralTacticus
2007-10-27, 02:00 AM
I wonder... if you were able to cast a Quickened DimDoor (with a rod, probably), would it be legal to Ready an attack before casting, with the condition "as soon as X is within my threatened area", then have the Readied action go off as soon as you DimDoored in?

Setra
2007-10-27, 02:02 AM
Probably not.

At least that's the way I'd read it.

Dhavaer
2007-10-27, 02:03 AM
I wonder... if you were able to cast a Quickened DimDoor (with a rod, probably), would it be legal to Ready an attack before casting, with the condition "as soon as X is within my threatened area", then have the Readied action go off as soon as you DimDoored in?

I'm fairly sure that a readied action still counts as an action.