PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Background for a Councilor Genie Character?

werescythe
2020-05-25, 04:53 PM
So I am working on a character who is using the new Genie UA Warlock subclass, with the idea that this character has previously to meeting the party has served as a councilor for nobles and perhaps even demigods.

However, I am not to sure which of the various background from the PHB, SCAG, etc... would be a good option for this character.

Any ideas/suggestions would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

Xaotiq1
2020-05-25, 05:00 PM
Courtier from SCAG seems to be a good fit.

Sorinth
2020-05-25, 05:05 PM
Being a Councillor is just a job, so they could be from any background before they became a councillor.

That said it probably makes the most sense to use the Noble background, but just fluff it as not actually being a noble but raised/trained to be a councillor by whomever. The Position of Privilege feature works just as good if you are recognized as a trusted servant of a noble house.

Criminal with the Spy variant also works well if you want to be a sort of Spymaster.

8wGremlin
2020-05-25, 05:43 PM
I just wrote this exact character for an application for a dnd5e game on myth weavers website.
Starting at 5th level. She is a Halfling (Mark of Hospitality) Djinni Warlock, pact of the chain, Courtier

Here is the link https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=497572

might help with some concepts.

She has an (fae) Imp familiar, and knows the Flock of Familars spell, so can call on other (fae) Imps to do her bidding, and spy, and be messengers etc.

werescythe
2020-05-25, 06:09 PM
I just wrote this exact character for an application for a dnd5e game on myth weavers website.
Starting at 5th level. She is a Halfling (Mark of Hospitality) Djinni Warlock, pact of the chain, Courtier

Here is the link https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=497572

might help with some concepts.

She has an (fae) Imp familiar, and knows the Flock of Familars spell, so can call on other (fae) Imps to do her bidding, and spy, and be messengers etc.

Well, sort of. Mine is a Naga (Planeshift: Amonket - using a floating one rule to change it from a +1 to INT to a +1 to CHR), Genie Patron (Efreeti), Pact of the Tome, Courtier.

She is actually a returning character from a previous campaign who was originally a Naga Divination Wizard in a world that was doomed to be destroyed (Demi-gods screwing stuff up) resulting in her making a contract with the genie and becoming trapped in her bottle and being taken to another world.

Mikal
2020-05-25, 07:51 PM
Just make a custom one with the skills, tools/languages, and the specific existing background trait you’d want to use- call it councilor

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-25, 10:33 PM
Far Traveler from SCAG would be pretty fitting, if he's from some far off place that has genies.