PDA

View Full Version : Custom artifact for Warlock?

skunk3
2020-05-26, 02:18 AM
I am looking for ideas.

I have an epic level Warlock capable of crafting artifacts (from divine rank) and basically anything at all really.

I'd like to hear some ideas as far as what would be cool to make. Thanks.

Psyren
2020-05-26, 02:30 AM
Are you looking for artifacts that would specifically benefit a warlock, or just any artifact that this guy could potentially make?

If it's the latter, the request is very broad and we'd probably need a lot more to go on.

Maat Mons
2020-05-26, 03:40 AM
A tome that allows him to cast invocations he doesn't know, even if they're not normally available to Warlocks?

Clearly, you already took Alter Reality as your first Salient Divine ability, so you've got all spells at-will.

An item that lets you qualify for and use the Epic Spellcasting feat somehow?

Nifft
2020-05-26, 07:57 AM
Is this Epic Warlock making artifacts for personal use, or to scatter around the world for other Warlocks to find and be awesome with, or for some other purpose?

If the artifacts are for personal use, what capabilities does the Epic Warlock already have covered?

If the artifacts are for use by others, what sort of behavior does the Epic Warlock wish to encourage?

aglondier
2020-05-26, 09:09 AM
A warlock, at least conceptually, acts in the interests of his extraplaner patron. Would not having this proposed artifact advance their agenda be a good idea? Design it so that it rounds out your capabilities, give it intelligence and an agenda that matches your patron, but unable to act against you. Making it a useful tool for you now, and a great story piece to pull out in some future campaign.

Maybe something like an Ioun Skull, that floats around you, adding a hellfire template to all your castings, and/or buffing you six ways to sunday, or maintains concentration spells for you allowing you to get on with things. With a fear aura. By epic levels, if things aren't getting cinematic you need to put more effort in. Just have the thing give you a million gp special effects budget...

...or did I get warlock mixed up with something else...?

Doctor Despair
2020-05-26, 12:16 PM
A warlock, at least conceptually, acts in the interests of his extraplaner patron. Would not having this proposed artifact advance their agenda be a good idea? Design it so that it rounds out your capabilities, give it intelligence and an agenda that matches your patron, but unable to act against you. Making it a useful tool for you now, and a great story piece to pull out in some future campaign.

...or did I get warlock mixed up with something else...?

I remembered Warlock having some patron-being as well, but as I look at the class entry, I'm not seeing any reference to one. Binders obviously have many, but I could have sworn Warlocks do as well. Strange.

GrayDeath
2020-05-26, 12:48 PM
If you remember Patrons actually being part of the CLass instead of merely fluff text, you are thinking of 5th Edition Warlocks.

Now for the OP: I am assuming you did not take Alter Reality as Divine Ability (none of the DM`s I ever plaayed with into that range allowed that ability, after all^^), so I am seconding a "Tome of Invocations".
Maybe one that shifts through 8 Random Invocations you dont have ( per type) per Day/WeeK?
Eaach usable once per Encounter?

Or, given the Style would fit, a Tome that allows you to make more Warlocks (getting people to read it, and get just the right amount of insane^^).

Or how about An Artifact that further aids the Warlocks amazing Craft anything" Abilities? maybe by also substitution truly rare Ingredients/reducing time/etc?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-26, 01:14 PM
The Black Book of [some unpronounceable name that has too many vowels]

Every day, the book adds a new spell, determined randomly (roll 1d10 for spell level, 10 is a cantrip; roll on the DMG arcane scroll table of the appropriate level to determine the spell). Each spell takes up one page, and while it remains the one who possesses the book can cast that spell as though from a scroll. Doing so causes that spell to disappear from the book. The book is 100 pages, and can contain up to 100 such spells. If the book is full when a new one would be added, that new one replaces one of the current spells (chosen at random).

Sinner's Garden
2020-05-26, 09:06 PM
I remembered Warlock having some patron-being as well, but as I look at the class entry, I'm not seeing any reference to one. Binders obviously have many, but I could have sworn Warlocks do as well. Strange.

They do have connections and obligations in 5e, but in 3e, Warlock powers are innate qualities that were generally obtained by some unnatural means. I believe one of the examples somewhere was someone whose father made a deal with the devil. The warlock himself has no relation to the devil, none of his powers invoke it, and he has no obligation to follow its whims.

skunk3
2020-05-28, 05:30 PM
Well I guess I should give more info.

This is a long-running gestalt campaign. I joined the game at level 8 or so.

On one side of the gestalt I am straight Warlock... Warlock 32.

On the other side it's more complicated. Pixie (+4), Dark template (+1), Enlightened Spirit 10, Paragnostic Apostle 5, Master Arcane Artisan 12. Not that it is necessary information, but in our game the DM said that in order to make crafting less of a feat tax, we could take just one feat that would cover all non-epic crafting. (Craft Magical Items.) I then took Craft Epic Magical Items. For my first divine salient ability I took Craft Artifact. Crafting is also my portfolio as a deity. Feat-wise I also have Exceptional Artisan, Extraordinary Artisan, and Legendary Artisan. Needless to say, I have a LOT of cost reduction going on, and as a result of the Master Arcane Artisan prestige class I can also craft FAR faster than normal on top of that.

I have already made myself one artifact already. It is a gemstone that I set into my Item Familiar, which is a ring. It greatly increases the potency of my Eldritch Blasts. It adds 10 damage dice per blast, ups my damage dice from d6's to d10's (!!!) and also adds +10 to the save DC of anything I apply to my blasts. On top of that, it allows me to quicken a blast once per round. I already took the epic Warlock feat that gives me another blast per round, so right now as a full round action I can blast 3 times, each with 2 essences applied. I have a variety of shapes to use. I'm doing 33d10 damage per blast lol.

Gear-wise, my stuff is pretty pimped out. There's room for improvement of course but it's nice.

I am basically just looking for interesting ideas for stuff I can make.

Psyren
2020-05-28, 06:47 PM
I am basically just looking for interesting ideas for stuff I can make.

As I mentioned earlier, this is kind of broad. Even just restricting it to items only for yourself, the defensive, offensive, and utility possibilities are enormous. Generally you should be thinking about your weaknesses and using items to cover those - a custom artifact is that, but on a much higher scale.

What defenses do you currently have, or not need due to your divine status? What's your divine rank?

I'd look at existing artifacts for ideas too (including PF ones.)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-05-28, 08:39 PM
What about relics, introduced in CD and expanded on in MIC and a few other books? To use a relic the wearer must worship you and either sacrifice a spell slot or have the True Believer feat and a minimum character level. You could make multiples, something like one 9th level spell slot relic, two 8th level, three 7th level, four 6th level, five 5th level, six 4th level, seven 3rd level, eight 2nd level, and nine 1st level spell slot relics. When worn those would give you spell slots of those levels that you could use to spontaneously cast any spell known by any of the relics' wearers.

You could make other powerful items and gift them to powerful individuals as a trick, because you'll have a master item that siphons power from each of them and can even summon them to aid you or similar. You could make a set of rings, give three to elven kings, seven to dwarf lords, and nine to human warlords. Your master ring would be like a phylactery that rejuvenates you if you're killed or even utterly destroyed, and it would be impervious to all damage except casting it into the fires of the volcano where you'd originally forged it.....

skunk3
2020-05-28, 11:34 PM
As I mentioned earlier, this is kind of broad. Even just restricting it to items only for yourself, the defensive, offensive, and utility possibilities are enormous. Generally you should be thinking about your weaknesses and using items to cover those - a custom artifact is that, but on a much higher scale.

What defenses do you currently have, or not need due to your divine status? What's your divine rank?

I'd look at existing artifacts for ideas too (including PF ones.)

I guess my weaknesses would be instances in which something is immune to acid and also has very high spell resistance... I use Vitriolic Blast a lot.

My AC is very good and it can be higher as my armor and buckler are only +8 equivalent, and I also have a Starmantle Cloak (with other properties)
My saving throws are just about as high as I can get them although I can up a couple of them a little bit by upgrading my +6 stat items to +12. (Already have CHA and an item of resistance +10)
I do have the divine salient ability "divine dodge" so that is extremely defensive.

There's a lot more that I could mention but I feel that I am on pretty solid ground as far as offense and defense go. I am more looking for utility items, flavorful things, unique/weird properties and benefits, etc. I also would like to upgrade the gemstone in my ring that I mentioned earlier so that the +10 to save DC's applies to all Warlock invocation abilities and not just my blast essences.