PDA

View Full Version : How to go from adventuring cleric to charismatic preacher to eminince grise?

Altheus
2020-05-26, 02:56 AM
Hi, I have a third level cleric of Moradin, lawful good alignment who is having a bit of a disagreement with the religious establishment in the campaign kingdom.

As a result of this disagreement he will probably establish his own church that does not acknowledge the authority of the crown over its activities (Law of god taking precedence over law of man and all that), to do this and have it work he will have to become a charismatic preacher and dispense healing for free to those who ask for it, gradually spreading his influence and behaviours around, gaining too large of a following to be easily shut down.

Once influential he intends to push for a change in the law outlawing religions charging money for healing services, having been outraged when the church of Pelor charged someone 5000gp that he didn't have for a healing scroll that didn't work.

My question is, How do I mechanically transition from an adventuring cleric, to a charismatic preacher to a figure like Cardinal Richelu?

Character stats are:

S 15
D 8
C 16
I 11
W 16
Ch 12

firelistener
2020-05-26, 11:15 AM
Sounds like an "Ask your DM" question to me. Mechanically, you might want boost your wisdom for spells and charisma for talking. Maybe get proficiency in performance and/or persuasion. For building up a following though, you'll really just need to see what the DM is willing to role play and how they want to go about it.

Throne12
2020-05-26, 11:36 AM
You can always ask the DM for a character rework and turn your cleric into a divine soul sorcerer. And say the change was your God has made you there prophet or messiah.

Altheus
2020-05-26, 12:56 PM
You can always ask the DM for a character rework and turn your cleric into a divine soul sorcerer. And say the change was your God has made you there prophet or messiah.

The character doesn't have that level of hubris, just wants to make the world a better place. All manner of dark deeds may be done in the course of making the world a better place.