PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Constructing Constructs

KyleG
2020-05-27, 07:09 AM
Big post ahead. I hope to hear your thoughts and ideas.
I am creating a one shot/short campaign drawing on some creatures from science fiction for inspiration. I have my story sorted, my map and now I want to create the three major types of creatures the party (Level 7 - life cleric, druid, battlemaster, transmuter, and drunken master).
The inspiration for each creature are Stargates Replicators, Cybermen/borg/Clockwork soldiers, and a boss inspired by the Knights of Halo 4.

Scavengers: Intended to be met as random encounters of 1-12 units. The collect metal for repurposing including that on adventurers. There will also be an area where he the party finds the remains of armour discarded by a previous adventurer in an effort to rid himself of all metal (armour, weapons gold, etc)
Tiny construct, unaligned
Armor Class 16 (natural armor), Hit Points 25 (10d4)
Speed 40 ft., climb 40 ft. STR 10 (0) DEX 16 (+3) CON 10 (0) INT 10 (0) WIS 10 (0) CHA 1 (-5)
Damage Immunities: poison, psychic
Condition Immunities: blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralysed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Special Traits
Immutable Form. The scavenger spider is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
Pack Tactics
Space Occupation: Upto 4 scavenger spiders can occupy the same space as a medium creature. Attempts to physically remove one from a space will cause a reaction as it attempts to hold on.
Actions
Multiattack. The scavenger spider makes two trimming blade attacks.
Leg Swipe: Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) slashing damage
Collect: The scavenger spiders main purpose is the collection of metal. It will attempt to do so without causing harm but if threatened or the need arises to have the target loosen its grip it will engage with its sharp needle like legs. As an action (named) the scavenger spider will make a contested Dex check to loosen latches, buckles and laces. 3 Failures and the (named) object comes loose. A held weapon follows the disarming rules.
Reactions
Piercing hold: Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage. Followed by Strength check to hold on

Citizen Soldiers:
I dont have a stat block worked out yet. These CR3-4 (maybe found in pairs) are in the penultimate battle where we should see a variety of around 8-10 (pretty much same stats but different configurations of weapons). With any luck i can find a stat block to steal but the real key here is i want some sort of borg like effect. Once hit with damage type A, now resistant. Hit again and now immune. If i track the last three hits over the collective we can actually end up with either 1 immunity/1 resistance, or 3 resistances. Maybe i can signal the others gaining this resistance with a sort of force wave. Could this work or do you think its too complicated/silly?

Una Domina: (working title) I want her to be some sort of GISH.
The plan is to break the final battle into 2 battles to avoid action economy issues. So the players will face the Citizen Soldiers in force and Una will be at the back of the room protected by a flying Sky Sentinel (basically it casts an impenetrable Shield over them until the first combat is over. Then it continues to cast shield if not destroyed but to the standard level perhaps. I dont think it has attacks but has a solid defence. If destroyed Una can deploy another or join with it to gain a flight speed and ???? Una herself is a spellcasting construct (spells yet to be determined). I want to include a lair action here with the party having been coated/been breathing tiny dust/nanite particles throughout their journey which now acts like a Sphynx's ageing action inducing slow, perhaps loss of spell slots (memory loss), stat decreases? How much impact on CR are these likely to have? as they dont have damage i havent been able to translate if that will make the encounter too hard. Una herself, is probably only CR 8?

SKY GUARDIAN
Tiny construct, unaligned
Armor Class 16 (natural armor) Hit Points 14 (5d4)
Speed, Fly 50 ft. STR 10 (0) DEX 16 (+3)CON 10 (0) INT 10 (0) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 1 (-5)
Damage Immunities poison, psychic
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 16
Challenge 1/2 (200 XP)
Special Traits
Immutable Form. The Sky Guardian is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
Actions
At Will: Casts Shield on a target within 10ft
Reactions
Dodge: Attacks are at Disadvantage