I have many of them
the usuals like...

The cow
The pig
The chicken
The possum
The frog
The unknown winged critter

Does anyone have some suggestion on some tasty animals and how to eat them.

No human. Can't trust the sources these days.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-26, 07:37 PM
Goat is really good. Also Llama has been known to be tasty. *sets trap in thread*

Midnight Son
2007-10-26, 07:39 PM
My parents are in Turkey. My mother made roast camel the other day.

bugsysservant
2007-10-26, 07:40 PM
I actually ate roasted Guinea Pig when I was younger, I wouldn't recommend it. Very weird.

Mavian
2007-10-26, 07:44 PM
Snake isn't bad, neither is Bison.
Had some really good muskox jerky a couple of years ago.
Oh, and roast bear.

Ink
2007-10-26, 07:48 PM
Deer is extremely tasty. Ostrich too. The two taste quite similar but I'd have to say I prefer deer. Also, roast duck is very good.

Hmm, I never knew that people eat possum.

Vuzzmop
2007-10-26, 07:51 PM
Yeah, you can eat possum. Maybe not in Aussie, but over here you sometimes find places that do a possum pie. Its the only small fuzzy thing I wouldn't have a problem with killing, so its a win win situation. Don't know how it tastes though.

reorith
2007-10-26, 07:55 PM
squirrel can be alright if its done well

Orzel
2007-10-26, 07:58 PM
I raised, curried, and ate goat before. I still own one... if my grandma hasn't eaten it. I miss Elroy the goat. He was tasty.

Had turkey, snake, deer, and bison. Camel and Guinea Pig sound interesting. I can find it somewhere in Manhattan.

The backgrounds of both sides of family includes eating anything you can hit. My dad's side calls possum manicou. In the night at the island, you carry a stick in hopes of bashing one.

StickMan
2007-10-26, 08:20 PM
I hear kangaroo is good, have to ask our playgrounders down under.

StupidFatHobbit
2007-10-26, 08:44 PM
Rattlesnake is very good, it's like very strongly flavoured chicken.

Bison tastes like cow, a little drier and with less fat. It's good if they don't overcook it.

Elk and deer are both ok, nothing I'd go out of my way for normally, but I had an awesome elkburger once. Farmed deer and wild-killed deer taste completely different. In general if you eat anything killed in the wild it has a much stronger flavour than the same animal raised on a farm.

Whale is fantastic. Yes. I have eaten whale. I didn't know it was whale at the time (this was in Japan) and when I found out that the unbelievably good steak I just ate was from a whale (probably from an endangered species of whale, too), I felt very guilty indeed. I would not eat it knowingly, but for the record, it was very, very good.

Alligator is ok, kangaroo is ok, and that's all the exotic stuff I can claim to have eaten.

de-trick
2007-10-26, 08:51 PM
pickerel
pike
perch
rambow trout
moose

Ink
2007-10-26, 09:04 PM
Kangaroo meat has a rather strong smell. I find it okay, I don't love it or hate it, but some people I know really cannot stand it. It does have a tendency to be tough.

Has anyone here ever tried dog?

Goblin Music
2007-10-26, 09:06 PM
Emu is good
haven't had llama yet but dogs like it

lumberofdabeast
2007-10-26, 09:08 PM
I consume the hearts of my slain foes to gain their courage and strength.

Mad Scientist
2007-10-26, 09:39 PM
I've had plenty of venison (elk, deer, moose) because my dad hunts. It's good, but can be very lean and gamey. I recommend stew or roast. Bear is quite tasty and can actually be a bit greasy if the bear was fat. I do agree completely about the difference in taste between wild and farm-raised animals. A store bought Butterball turkey tastes bland, but juicy. Wild turkey is lean, dry, gamey, and nasty. Or at least the ones I've tried are. Shark is very good. It tastes like meatier tuna steak. I've tried it grilled with a bit of teriyaki sauce.

Dragonrider
2007-10-26, 09:42 PM
I had alligator when I went to Florida. It was good...well, tasted similar to chicken.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-26, 10:13 PM
Noooo, chicken tastes like alligator. :smalltongue:

Green Bean
2007-10-26, 10:14 PM
I had alligator when I went to Florida. It was good...well, tasted similar to chicken.

Same with crocodiles too, for some reason.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-10-26, 10:27 PM
Well, from my view point as a down underian, I have to say Emu and Kangaroo are brilliant food.

They both taste good, they are healthy to eat, and its legal to eat them! I mean, we are the only country where its legal to eat what animal is on the coat of arms. (You won't believe how much trouble forgetting that can get you in)

ZombieRockStar
2007-10-26, 10:30 PM
Well, from my view point as a down underian, I have to say Emu and Kangaroo are brilliant food.

They both taste good, they are healthy to eat, and its legal to eat them! I mean, we are the only country where its legal to eat what animal is on the coat of arms. (You won't believe how much trouble forgetting that can get you in)

You haven't been eating unicorns again, have you?

*quietly slinks out of thread*

StupidFatHobbit
2007-10-26, 10:38 PM
Given that everybody describes everything as tasting like chicken, I wonder how the first person in history who ever ate a chicken described it.

"It was ... it tasted sort of like ... well, it was all ... hey, wow, you know, I can't think of any way to explain it."

Icewalker
2007-10-26, 11:20 PM
Ever tried Impala? Had some when I was in Africa. Quite good.

Rogue 7
2007-10-27, 01:32 AM
Duck is damn good if done correctly. I've also had buffalo, which is good. Other than that, I can't think of anything special.

Setra
2007-10-27, 02:01 AM
I like to harvest the wings from buffalo.

Delicious.

Serpentine
2007-10-27, 02:15 AM
rambow trout
o.O That is a seriously scary fish.

Kangaroo is mighty tasty. Snails are great too, witchetty grubs not so much :smallyuk: For some reason we had a haunch of venison once. I had deer sandwiches for like a month :smallbiggrin: Sooooo good.
Regarding camel, there's a French (I think) guy on a travelling cooking show thing, where he goes around Europe eating things. Every single thing he tries, he says is wonderful. It seems like if you can eat it, he loves it. Apparently in one episode where he had goat, he said "Now you don't want to overcook goat, or it will taste like camel, and noone wants that."

Gowron
2007-10-27, 02:32 AM
Gagh and Targ are my favorites. I'm partial to a good rokeg blood pie, but it's surprisingly hard to get the really fresh stuff on Qo'noS.

Totally Guy
2007-10-27, 02:43 AM
No one's mentioned Lamb yet?

Oh, yes, lamb with mint sauce. It's quite common, yet a tad more expensive than other meats here. I believe it's also popular in New Zealand. Generally our Lamb comes from within the UK or from New Zealand.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-27, 05:09 AM
I like frogs (only when really well cooked), octopus and squid (when fantastically cooked), squab and wild scottish salmon. The deathly haggis is quite nice too. As is Nessie. And the ChickenMcNugget of Baskerville.

I also tried a tofu. *shudder* :smallsigh:

Dhavaer
2007-10-27, 05:41 AM
I don't remember ever having actually eaten it, but I did notice kangaroo was quite popular when I was working at the checkout.

Arang
2007-10-27, 07:45 AM
Souls.

Kangaroo is quite tasty, at least the one I ate.

Whale, too. The one I had was quite dry, but not in a tough way. It was interesting without being gross.

Shark is, hands down, the best fish I've ever had. I'm not sure what kind of shark it was, but this was in Greece. Ask your local exotic meat dealer.

Also I hear penguin is interesting. Never had it myself, though.

Orzel
2007-10-27, 03:00 PM
Many recommendations for roos I see

thubby
2007-10-27, 03:14 PM
no one mentioned dear yet? venison is good stuff if you cook it right. actually getting it is a bit of work though.
i'm told calamari (squid) is good, never tried it myself though.

Nasrudith
2007-10-27, 04:59 PM
I had roast venison once (unknowing at the time I ate it), its a little like roast beef but stringier and a slightly different taste.

Burrito
2007-10-28, 12:02 AM
The problem with a lot of wild game is people tend to overcook it. Unlike most farm raised animals, wild game does not have the same fat content, aka marbeling. So if it is overcooked it get dry and tough and bleh.

Venison, elk, buffalo, moose etc. are wonderful if done to only medium rare.
Phesant, partridge, ducks and geese, should also not be overcooked, especially phesant. Incedentially Partridge breasts, coated in seseame seeds and quick fried with some garlic is amazing.

I haven't had a chance to eat mountain lion yet, my brother swears by it though. Must be a Montana thing.

Aligator is really good too, but I have had to marinade it in milk over night to get rid of some of the fishy taste.

Just about any fish is good, and about 100X better when you caught it yourself. Some of the best fish I have ever had is grouper from Florida that we caught charter fishing. You also can't go wrong with walleye out of a nice cold lake and cooked up in a shore lunch.

This post probably wouldn't be so long if I wasn't hungry.

Arameus
2007-10-28, 10:13 PM
I'm amazed no one has mentioned horse. Horsemeat is much better than you might be led to believe; the reason it's not widely eaten is because it gained a reputation as a last-resort food, but this is not because it is unpalatable but because if you had a horse, you were riding it or using it for labor, which certainly would make eating it a last resort.

Also, horses have erroneously been branded as 'cute' by little girls the world over, and people tend not to put in a lunchbox things that they would put on a lunchbox.

That said, I'd say it's not as good as beef, since horses simply aren't raised for slaughter (for the most part) but still makes for good eating. I had a good bit of horsemeat on an Indian reservation where I stayed for a while on a Mission, and developed quite a taste for it.

Curuinor
2007-10-28, 10:13 PM
The 'meat' of the locust is very nutty, a sound that in Korean is made with an 'o' mouth shape. Therefore, people who eat locusts with their beer or rice wine(and that's pretty much all of them; locusts are anju, or 'not alcohol') play a drinking game in which they say 'goooooooosoooooooooo'(both syllables with a short o) in as long a time as possible, and then start popping locusts. Then they
drink. It's very disgusting.

I have some specimens of some kind of moth larvae here. They are delicious.

Whale, I must report, is also a delicacy in Korea, and also an anju, at least with the blubber, which has fallen in value since the downfall of the whale oil trade. Whale steak is a whole lot more expensive, par with the cost of bok, or the deep-sea pufferfish.

I, myself, have eaten, in addition, rattlesnake, venison, and veniveal. I will let you guess what the hell veniveal is.

ForzaFiori
2007-10-28, 10:38 PM
dear is excellent when stewed i've found.
calamari (fried squid) is rather nice.
lobster and crab are pretty good. somewhat chewier than other meats i've found though.
I know buffalo jerky is tasty

@Curuinor: i'm gonna take a guess at what viniveal is.

is it Bambi?

Trog
2007-10-29, 11:48 AM
I have had:
Cow
Pig
Buffalo
Lamb
Deer
Chicken
Pheasant
Duck
Turkey
Clam
Mussels
Scallops
Shrimp (various kinds, sizes, etc.)
Crawdad
Crab
Lobster
Squid
Eel (in sushi - yummy)
Fish (various freshwater & saltwater)
Turtle
Alligator
Earthworm

EDIT: @V ... *resists... just barely* Nope. Not going there.

Renegade Paladin
2007-10-29, 11:54 AM
Beaver is supposed to be good. Just don't eat one that's been living in an area full of willow trees; it'll taste like aspirin. :smallbiggrin:

Ashtar
2007-10-29, 12:03 PM
Here I find horse, ostritch, deer, duck (yum! Duck in green pepper sauce ^^).

I've had snake and rat meat, both prepared by a chinese friend. Snake was very tasty and fine meat. Rat was interesting... and not half bad.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-29, 01:07 PM
I had Horse the other day which was quite good. It tasted like beef.

Snails are alright but I would recoment mussels instead.

Chicken Foot soup is good according to my sister in law.

Duck and Lamb are both great as is pheasant and rabbit, all of which are quite common.

Veal is tasty (and no one give me any cruelty crap) though it has little difference in taste to regular beef.

Wraithy
2007-10-29, 01:24 PM
I've not had anything particularly interesting: pork, beef, chicken, lamb, rabbit, veal.
Oh, but I have eaten crocodile once (couldn't taste it from all of the pepper they used), but in general I've not eaten anything special.

Rykaj
2007-10-29, 01:34 PM

I present you: Botswana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botswana)
They have cattle on it because they like eating it so much :smallsmile:

But back on topic: I am really fond of lamb. But that might be because I can make a killer lamb in my good old oven. Also snails are pretty good, contrary to what you might think.

And to the person who heard calamari was pretty good: most people don't like squid, because it's really rubbery. The taste is ok, but it's very awkward to chew. I myself don't really like it either. I occasionally throw some in when I make paella but otherwise I usually avoid it.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-29, 01:39 PM
EDIT: @V ... *resists... just barely* Nope. Not going there.

:smallbiggrin: Wow... that was very tempting.

Maelstrom
2007-10-29, 01:54 PM
Roast Boar....mmmmMMMMMm

Moff Chumley
2007-10-29, 06:14 PM
Well, can't lay claim to anything special, aside from a Filet Mignon cut from the cow hours earlier, and duck. Which was horrible.