PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Astral Self Monk (Tomb Of Annihilation)

.::Pr0 n00b::.
2020-05-27, 12:40 PM
Hello everyone me and my friends will soon start the Tomb Of Annihilation and i was thinking of makeing a monk character.

DM approved (Astral Self Monk)

I was watching Overlord and wanted to make a character similar to Sebas so i choose a monk and for his dragonoid mode i saw Astral Self subclass that i can reflavour his projections as dragonic features.

STR 11
DEX 19
CON 14
INT 13
WIS 17
CHA 14

Rolled at lvl 1

He is a variant human so i got Alert and we have a homebrew rule a free feat at lvl 1 so i also took mobile. Background Faction Agent

What do you guys think? should i take other feats and what is the best way to play this character and optimize him to the fullest. Our DM told us to make strong characters because he will not be pulling any punches with this campaign.

OldTrees1
2020-05-27, 01:21 PM
Looks decent enough. The only question will be "Will you get them killed?". ToA is rather forgiving on builds and rather unforgiving on Players.

So ponder this:
Obviously you can run away from danger, but can you transport the party away from danger?

.::Pr0 n00b::.
2020-05-27, 03:11 PM
Looks decent enough. The only question will be "Will you get them killed?". ToA is rather forgiving on builds and rather unforgiving on Players.

So ponder this:
Obviously you can run away from danger, but can you transport the party away from danger?

The other members are a Bard a Wizard and Paladin or Barbarian (he is still thinking about it) also our DM is using a rule he saw on reddit about the zombies being squishy but if they hit you you must make a CON saving throw to not get infected by a disease so thats gonna suck

OldTrees1
2020-05-27, 07:27 PM
The other members are a Bard a Wizard and Paladin or Barbarian (he is still thinking about it) also our DM is using a rule he saw on reddit about the zombies being squishy but if they hit you you must make a CON saving throw to not get infected by a disease so thats gonna suck

Situation: You and the Bard are healthy. The Wizard is uninjured but low max hp. Both the Wizard and the Paladin are 1 hit away from unconsciousness. The Barbarian is dying. And the single enemy has a speed of 30ft. If it helps, you are probably in a forest with a river nearby. How do you get your party alive & stable, 1 mile away from the enemy?

Hopefully you don't end up in such dire situations, but ToA loves players than can help the party escape death.