PDA

View Full Version : Centaurs and armor

SangoProduction
2020-05-29, 04:15 PM
Do centaurs need to buy both barding and armor, or does just armor work fine?
I also presume you can have a saddle so you can have someone acting like a turret as you run past some dudes, right?

Kayblis
2020-05-29, 04:30 PM
You need to buy only armor, but it has a x4 modifier. This is because a Centaur is both Large(x2) and Nonhumanoid(another x2). There's a table in the PHB for special armors below the Armor section.

A person could technically Ride you on a saddle, but he needs to make all the usual Ride checks as if mounting a horse. So he'd need a check every round to stay on the saddle and takes the usual ranged penalties while mounted(so it's a good idea to have the Mounted Archery feat).

SangoProduction
2020-05-29, 04:46 PM
You need to buy only armor, but it has a x4 modifier. This is because a Centaur is both Large(x2) and Nonhumanoid(another x2). There's a table in the PHB for special armors below the Armor section.

A person could technically Ride you on a saddle, but he needs to make all the usual Ride checks as if mounting a horse. So he'd need a check every round to stay on the saddle and takes the usual ranged penalties while mounted(so it's a good idea to have the Mounted Archery feat).

Oh. I knew there was some sort of adjustment. But aren't most multipliers in D&D / PF additive, making the total modifier x3, not x4?
I mean, hardly matters past second level, but still.

Blue Jay
2020-05-29, 05:04 PM
Oh. I knew there was some sort of adjustment. But aren't most multipliers in D&D / PF additive, making the total modifier x3, not x4?

It's not actually 2 separate modifiers combined together: I think that's just how Kayblis is envisioning it. Officially, it's just a table (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures).

SangoProduction
2020-05-29, 05:06 PM
It's not actually 2 separate modifiers combined together: I think that's just how Kayblis is envisioning it. Officially, it's just a table (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures).

oooo. OK. Noted. Thanks.

Centaurs must have the most incredible flexibility to be able to lean back and don armor all on their own though.

Palanan
2020-05-29, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Kayblis

As the centaur, could you use Aid Another to help your rider stay in the saddle?

SangoProduction
2020-05-29, 06:25 PM
I don't see why you couldn't. That said, it would be 50/50 without ride skill (ignoring stats). And then that would beg the question of where the centaur learned how to ride.

2020-05-29, 06:33 PM

Multipliers are additive when they affect non-real values. In practice, this is almost universally about damage and hit points, because other numbers that are purely mechanical abstractions within the rules instead of real-world values don't get multiplied basically ever. You can argue with your DM/players about whether gold pieces, as a fictional unit of a real-world measurement (currency/monetary value) gets multiplied like damage or distance.

EDIT: Supporting my opinion that gp are considered "real world value" sufficiently, barding for horses (Large/nonhumanoid) is 4x the cost of whatever the armor would be for a medium creature.

KillianHawkeye
2020-05-29, 08:56 PM
Centaurs must have the most incredible flexibility to be able to lean back and don armor all on their own though.

Even a lot of armor for humans can't be put on without help.

Crake
2020-05-30, 03:09 AM
As the centaur, could you use Aid Another to help your rider stay in the saddle?

There's a whole section somewhere, I want to say the DMG, about riding intelligent mounts. If it's not the DMG, then probably savage species, but I think, for the most part, you don't need to do the majority of ride checks with an intelligent mount.

SangoProduction
2020-05-30, 03:14 AM
There's a whole section somewhere, I want to say the DMG, about riding intelligent mounts. If it's not the DMG, then probably savage species, but I think, for the most part, you don't need to do the majority of ride checks with an intelligent mount.

Indeed, simply as a consequence of being able to use your words, most checks (which are to effectively direct the mount) are unneeded. Some others, like the trivial Stay in Saddle "when your mount rears or bolts unexpectedly or when you take damage." still require checks.