PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Smoke Monsters

Thurbane
2020-05-29, 07:11 PM
Looking for smoke-based/related monsters in 3.X.

Belker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/belker.htm) (MM1)
Elemental Drake, Smoke (Dr)
Smoke Paraelemental (MotP)
Zeitgeist (smoke manifestation) (Cty)

Ideally, something vaguely similar to either the "Mind Flayer" from Stranger Things, or the Smoke Monster from Lost, would be perfect. Maybe I can advance a Belker or Paraelemental and slap some templates on it? Half-farspawn might be interesting.

Searching for DM/campaign/flavour reasons.

Cheers - T

ElderDarren
2020-05-29, 08:11 PM
If you're not opposed to templates or a dip into Pathfinder, the Mist Template (PF) is a doozy. Combined with the Dark template from 3.5 it makes for a rather formidable stealth combo with decent built in escape mechanisms.

NontheistCleric
2020-05-30, 12:48 PM
One of the options for a Swarm-Shifter (Libris Mortis) undead is 'Undead Sand (or Tomb Dust or Grave Dirt)'.

Now, tomb dust could easily comprise something like ashes from cremation, and if you get enough of those in your swarm, it will basically be a smoke cloud. I looked up the Lost Smoke Monster, and apparently it's also a man? That would fit with a Swarm-Shifter, whose normal form can be something fairly human-looking like a Vampire, Necropolitan, well-preserved Lich, or any other similar undead.

NotASpiderSwarm
2020-05-30, 01:43 PM
Sandstorm has a lot of wind/dust/sandstorm-based monsters. Some of those could be reflavored to be smoke-based easily enough.

Mist(Dragons of Faerun), Pyroclastic(Draconomicon), or Shadow(Draconomicon) dragons might fit.

The Viscount
2020-05-30, 02:24 PM
Shadow Demon perhaps could be refluffed as made of smoke.
Alkalith has an alternate form made of cloudkill, could certainly be smoky.
Ephemeral Hangman or perhaps Shadow weaver might look kind of like the Stranger things Mind Flayer, kind of indistinct and hazy.

Lilapop
2020-05-30, 02:30 PM
Doesn't really fit what you're trying to do, but for completeness' sake: Ash Rats, MM2.

The Viscount
2020-05-30, 03:03 PM
Voidwraith is another creature that looks pretty smoky.

ShurikVch
2020-05-30, 03:23 PM
Smoke-based/related monsters:
Cloudscout (Dungeon #110): looks like a smoke cloud with a pair of bat wings
Flayleaf Zombie (The Stranger Within) - Flayleaf Smoke (as a BW, and AoE on destruction)
Hellforged, Coal Devil (Dragon #306) - Aura of Smoke
Living Spell (chose something fitting)
Kapre (Island of Empty Eyes) - Blow Smoke
Miasmic Basilisk (Exotic Encounters: Basilisks) - Toxic Smog
Nightmare - Smoke
Smoke Drake's breath weapon with Animate Breath spell
Smoke Element Creature template (Dragon #347)
Smoke Monolith (Dragon #347)
Smoke Para-Genasi (Dragon #297)
Smoking Eye Creature template (Shackled City Adventure Path)
Spawn of Draqolath (Book of Fiends: Legions of Hell) - Smoke
Toxic Eradicator (Dead Vault Descent) - Mephitic Smog
Witherweed (Glades of Death) - Death Smoke

Also, how about the Ravenloft's Mists?
Mist Elementals (Denizens of Dread)
Changeling Fog (Van Richten's Guide to the Mists)
Goblyn Fog (Van Richten's Guide to the Mists)

Blue Jay
2020-05-30, 05:38 PM
Ghostly visages (Fiend Folio) look like little puffs of smoke when not attached to someone's face.

TheCount
2020-05-31, 07:29 AM
Mistling template from Forge of war, p152, Fey only though, sadly.

The Viscount
2020-05-31, 09:45 AM
Combine with Half-Fey, now it goes on almost anything!

Might get some interesting stuff with Spirit of the Land.

ShurikVch
2020-05-31, 10:09 AM
Forwarden (Tome of Horrors) - have unlimited Animate Dead ability, which makes Zombie-like cadavers who aren't Undead (thus, can't be turned or rebuked), but "die" instantly if they get too far from the fog

Mist Spawn (Kingdoms of Kalamar) - 8 HD Huge Elemental, which is able to turn into a fog, creatures in the fog (on failed saves) are firstly numbed, and then - paniced

Some more from the Ravenloft:

Zombie Fog (Denizens of Dread) - in a non-blessed areas, turn Humanoid corpses into Fog Cadavers - up to 10 HD/round; total number of Cadavers is limited by its current hp (yes - not Hit Dice, but hit points!)

Mist Claimer template (Van Richten's Guide to the Mists) - may be applied to any creature of any type; creature gets Modify Memory (as a spell, except up to 1 hour of memories), Mist Form (as gaseous form, except 40' speed), and Mist Walk (as dimension door, except between patches of fog, and range is up to 10'/HD per day) "From the fog and haze you see the last thing you would ever expect — yourself. As the moonlight sweeps briefly over your double's body, you see its eyes glimmer and silver glow escapes the gaping hole that is its mouth. In the brief glimmer of moonlight, you see now that your twin is not a being of flesh and blood, but a being of the Mists itself."

daremetoidareyo
2020-05-31, 03:03 PM
Potion of gaseous form + evil npc?

Thurbane
2020-05-31, 05:03 PM
Some great suggestions here, thanks everyone. Will look into them as I get time.

daremetoidareyo
2020-06-03, 05:30 PM
Template in shackled city

Thurbane
2020-06-03, 05:51 PM
Template in shackled city

Great call! I have the hardcover as well. I'll look into the Smoking Eye template...

daremetoidareyo
2020-06-03, 06:56 PM
Great call! I have the hardcover as well. I'll look into the Smoking Eye template...

This book came up in discussion today. Can you tell me again how you know that it's 1st party?

Thurbane
2020-06-03, 07:13 PM
This book came up in discussion today. Can you tell me again how you know that it's 1st party?

It shares the same status as Dragon Compendium, also published by Paizo. It has the official D&D/WotC logos, unlike, say Kingdoms of Kalamar books, or Dragonlance books (other than the campaign setting).

There's probably more to it than I'm mentioning, but that's my basic understanding. Someone else may be able to describe it more accurately.

CIDE
2020-06-03, 09:24 PM
There's probably some really creative Living Spell shenanigans you can use here.

Troacctid
2020-06-03, 10:54 PM
Speaking of Dragon Compendium, ash demon.

NontheistCleric
2020-06-04, 12:35 AM
It shares the same status as Dragon Compendium, also published by Paizo. It has the official D&D/WotC logos, unlike, say Kingdoms of Kalamar books, or Dragonlance books (other than the campaign setting).

There's probably more to it than I'm mentioning, but that's my basic understanding. Someone else may be able to describe it more accurately.

Actually, don't the Kingdoms of Kalamar books have the official logos? The copies I have access to do.

Thurbane
2020-06-04, 03:06 AM
There's probably some really creative Living Spell shenanigans you can use here.

Speaking of Dragon Compendium, ash demon.

Great suggestions.

Actually, don't the Kingdoms of Kalamar books have the official logos? The copies I have access to do.

Yeah, good chance I have explained the situation poorly, or incorrectly.

ShurikVch
2020-06-04, 07:26 AM
How about the Nishruu (Lost Empires of Faerūn)?

Miss Disaster
2020-06-12, 09:33 AM
I did a Google search over at PFSRD for Pathfinder 1e monsters with a smoke theme. There's a good number here that you should be able to easily port over into 3.5.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=006680642033474972217%3A6zo0hx_wle8&q=smoke#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=smoke&gsc.ref=more%3Abestiary&gsc.sort=

Palanan
2020-06-12, 09:56 AM
Since a few mist-related options have already been mentioned, I'll include the mist dragon (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20031226a), which was a 3.5 web enhancement.

Depending on your specific needs, it could be used as-is or lightly reflavored for a smokey theme.

Thurbane
2020-06-30, 06:33 PM
The LA assignment thread mentioned another monster that could be fluffed as a smoke monster: the Phiuhl (FF p. 135). It's attacks are all noxious gas/heat themed.

It would be around the right CR rating I was looking for, too.

Otherwise, I've statted up an Advanced Half-Farspawn Belker (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/belker.htm) (the feats need a little tweaking):

Size/Type: Huge Outsider (Air, Native)
Hit Dice: 12d8+72 (126 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 50 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 27 (-2 size, +5 Dex, +14 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+20
Attack: Wing +14 melee (1d8+7)
Full Attack: 2 wings +14 melee (1d8+7) and bite +12 melee (1d6+3) and 2 claws +12 melee (1d4+3) and 2 tentacles +12 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Smoke claws, spell-like abilities, true strike
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., change shape, darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, resist acid 10, electricity 10, smoke form, SR 22
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +13, Will +8
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 21, Con 23, Int 6, Wis 15, Cha 14
Skills: Concentration +13, Hide +4, Listen +17, Move Silently +23, Sense Motive +9, Spot +17
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Final Strike, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Multiattack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 13-21 HD (Huge)